Oil filter question please help!

homer888

Forum Newbie
Threads
Best filter is Wix.I use Valvoline semi-syntheris in my toro(24 years old)

kjonxx

Threads
Hello everyone, I have a Husqvarna LGT2654 with a Kohler KT745. I need to change the oil there is currently a Wix 51056 oil filter on it. I want to put a Kohler but can’t find it. The sticker on the machine says part number 25 050 40 which is like hunting a ghost. I’ve researched and come up with 2 possibilities. Kohler 52 050 02-S which I bought but haven’t unboxed because now I see a Kohler 12 050 01-s is recommended.
Can someone please educate me. Will they both work? Or which one is it?
If it fits will it work?View attachment 64620
I really appreciate any information shared. Please help!
same as briggs long or short its 3/4 Thread

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Agree. Additionally, I use only Wix filters on every piece of machinery I own.
There’s nothing really wrong with WIX or NAPA Gold oil filters. However, WIX and Purolator are now owned by Mann+Hummel. Some of the old WIX/NAPA filters are being replaced by Purolators with a different paint scheme. Purolators have had problems over the last few years. I’m not a fan of Purolator or FRAM Orange Can.

tombukt2

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes if it fits it works No need to go scientific on oil filters everybody's done that for you since the '60s so what's your left with is generally just fine for everyday use change accordingly I look at my oil sticks often just to see and smell what I have going on and change accordingly not according to a list.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
As far as I know, all 'OEM' branded oil filter(and air filters) are made by independent firms. Just as their engines for the most part are not made 'in-house', the same holds true for the filters.
On the retail shelves, the OEM are priced as if they were the best product on the market. In most cases they are not, but are good for profits.
I would go with a brand name that crosses to the filter I am replacing. Just about all of them will be as good or better than those sold by the OEM. And likely will be priced at about half the OEM, or less.
In short buy a brand you have confidence in, and don't pay too much for the filter. If you compare hours of use to miles on a car/truck, 100 hours @60mph would be about a 6,000 mile interval. Not unreasonable given these engine get started and ran for long enough to get the oil good and hot. Most vehicles are subject to short trips where the oil barely gets warm, leading to contamination of the oil with blowby gases, water vapor, etc. A small engine gets a lot less of that short trip buildup, so should handle that intverval without problem.
tom
Correct!
Kohler oil filters are currently made under contract with Champion Labs.
Before Champion Labs got the contract, FRAM was making them.
Who knows who will get the next contract?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Watch this video and you will see what I’m talking about.

tgzzzz

Threads
Correct!
Kohler oil filters are currently made under contract with Champion Labs.
Before Champion Labs got the contract, FRAM was making them.
Who knows who will get the next contract?
Who knows indeed? I'm sold on compatible isn't comparable.

jedigene1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, I have a Husqvarna LGT2654 with a Kohler KT745. I need to change the oil there is currently a Wix 51056 oil filter on it. I want to put a Kohler but can’t find it. The sticker on the machine says part number 25 050 40 which is like hunting a ghost. I’ve researched and come up with 2 possibilities. Kohler 52 050 02-S which I bought but haven’t unboxed because now I see a Kohler 12 050 01-s is recommended.
Can someone please educate me. Will they both work? Or which one is it?
If it fits will it work?View attachment 64620
I really appreciate any information shared. Please help!
The

KOHLER 12 050 01S on Amazon.​

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well that was a total waste of 11 minutes of my remaining time on the planet
The monkey with the tools has almost no understanding and even his superficial "reveal" was done wrong as the filer material inside the end caps is still available to the oil so even his very rudemental calculation of the surface areas was wrong
The thickness of the container is meaningless as a oil filter is neither stressed not highly pressurised and of course his measurements included the paint.
So the only teak take away is 2 of the 3 filters were made on the same machine using the same shape components.
What is important is the function of the anti drain back valve & the pressure release valve neither of which was tested.