Oil filter question please help!

Threads
Hello everyone, I have a Husqvarna LGT2654 with a Kohler KT745. I need to change the oil there is currently a Wix 51056 oil filter on it. I want to put a Kohler but can’t find it. The sticker on the machine says part number 25 050 40 which is like hunting a ghost. I’ve researched and come up with 2 possibilities. Kohler 52 050 02-S which I bought but haven’t unboxed because now I see a Kohler 12 050 01-s is recommended.
Can someone please educate me. Will they both work? Or which one is it?
If it fits will it work?View attachment 64620
I really appreciate any information shared. Please help!
iI replaced the small kholer oil filters with a Fram filter. They are half the price of a Kholer filter and they are a twice the length and have more filtering capacity. If you have the room for a filter twice the length of the Kholer filter, use a Fram filter. I've been using Fram filters on all my equipment and all the mowers i work on.

Brucewayne

Forum Newbie
Threads
It depends on how much clearance you have. The 52 050 02-S will fit, if you have enough clearance. Some mowers use the shorter version, when there isn’t enough clearance.
I do not know anything about it.
Kohler Oil Filter 12 050 01 - Amazon Official Site
1685190498323.png
Amazon.com
https://www.amazon.com › patio-garden

1685190498352.png

1685190498411.png

Compare Prices on Kohler oil filter 12 050 01 in Patio & Garden.

grumpyunk

Threads
As far as I know, all 'OEM' branded oil filter(and air filters) are made by independent firms. Just as their engines for the most part are not made 'in-house', the same holds true for the filters.
On the retail shelves, the OEM are priced as if they were the best product on the market. In most cases they are not, but are good for profits.
I would go with a brand name that crosses to the filter I am replacing. Just about all of them will be as good or better than those sold by the OEM. And likely will be priced at about half the OEM, or less.
In short buy a brand you have confidence in, and don't pay too much for the filter. If you compare hours of use to miles on a car/truck, 100 hours @60mph would be about a 6,000 mile interval. Not unreasonable given these engine get started and ran for long enough to get the oil good and hot. Most vehicles are subject to short trips where the oil barely gets warm, leading to contamination of the oil with blowby gases, water vapor, etc. A small engine gets a lot less of that short trip buildup, so should handle that intverval without problem.
tom

VTevaD

Forum Newbie
Threads
You're overthinking this. Clean oil of proper weight, new whatever filter and make sure your air filter is clean. More important, don't push it too hard and overheat it when grass is wet or thick. A hand held infrared thermometer gun from Harbor Freight works great for monitoring the temp. Take breaks, let it cool in the shade for few and do a little weed whacking or have a beer.

Honest Abe

Threads
You're overthinking this. Clean oil of proper weight, new whatever filter and make sure your air filter is clean. More important, don't push it too hard and overheat it when grass is wet or thick. A hand held infrared thermometer gun from Harbor Freight works great for monitoring the temp. Take breaks, let it cool in the shade for few and do a little weed whacking or have a beer.
If the engine is clean, i.e. air filter clean and no debris clogging around the engine cooling fins (or under the shroud) it should be able to run all day long.....

tgzzzz

Threads
Oh ya, I'd rarely ever use a proprietary part when an equally good generic part can be had for 75% less

but, that's just me . . . . .
Not just you, obviously, as Amazon/Ebay/Wally seem quite successful selling generics.

Howsomever, here's another side of the coin: "compatible doesn't mean comparable." On these oil filter issues for example, generics might make sense operating a fleet with scheduled maintenance and scheduled replacements. My one and only 2016 CC/Kohler ZRT, however, that I hope to run 20 years? Hell, I'll pop for the $12 Wix over the $7 STP. As YouTube shows these filters are not all the same under the paint. I've blown $5 on a lot less critical stuff.

Honest Abe

Threads
Not just you, obviously, as Amazon/Ebay/Wally seem quite successful selling generics.

Howsomever, here's another side of the coin: "compatible doesn't mean comparable." On these oil filter issues for example, generics might make sense operating a fleet with scheduled maintenance and scheduled replacements. My one and only 2016 CC/Kohler ZRT, however, that I hope to run 20 years? Hell, I'll pop for the $12 Wix over the $7 STP. As YouTube shows these filters are not all the same under the paint. I've blown $5 on a lot less critical stuff.
Here's an interesting oil change style of an older gentleman I knew years ago. He had a 1960 Pontiac, with at that time about 200k miles on it. All he ever did was change the filter ever 2k miles and add a quart of oil. He never did a full oil change, and ran that car into the ground with over 300k miles . . . . .