Oil filter question please help!

Majestor

Forum Newbie
Threads
My walymart doesn't have supertech oil filters anymore. They have the oil which I use. SG rated SAE30W with tons of zinc and some other magic sprinkles.

Majestor

Forum Newbie
Threads
If I may add my two sense, the Wix filter that you have on your mower now is a highly rated filter manufacturer. Just do a Google search of filters comparison and you will find that most will have Wix at the top or very close. I would Not put a Fram filter on my mother-in-laws car. They are at the very bottom on a list of filter comparisons.

Honest Abe

Threads
Well that was a total waste of 11 minutes of my remaining time on the planet
The monkey with the tools has almost no understanding and even his superficial "reveal" was done wrong as the filer material inside the end caps is still available to the oil so even his very rudemental calculation of the surface areas was wrong
The thickness of the container is meaningless as a oil filter is neither stressed not highly pressurised and of course his measurements included the paint.
So the only teak take away is 2 of the 3 filters were made on the same machine using the same shape components.
What is important is the function of the anti drain back valve & the pressure release valve neither of which was tested.
speaking of wasting time... shezzzzzzzzzz!!!

tgzzzz

Threads
Why? Wix doesn't work?

That's how the internet works.
I did find Doug's question a bit odd as well unless Doug is like, 12, with his push mower out knocking on doors and dreading that first oil change. And I suppose modern young folks don't have the hands-on prep some of us oldsters acquired at the elbow of a dad or older brother. I had a 47 Chev Woody with a roll of tp as the filter matrix. That might not have been OE. Can't say.

Still, the Wix/NAPA filter has a coil spring, not a stamped spring inside, along with some engineered matrix presumably superior to cardboard, metal ends ... and $5 more. Big whoop.

Zedo

Threads
Kohler 7000 series, try this one on Amazon

Kohler 12 050 01-s1 Oil Filter​

Yep, I get the 2 pack for my Kohler 7000 series 22 HP 2 pack on Amazon are $13.98+ tax, I get free shipping cause I'm a member.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is not a single national brand oil filter that does not work or will causes damage to engines .
If there was then 25,000 lawyers would be sueing them on a daily basis.
As I said before all oil filters go through rigerous testing and just because you, the person who has not done a second of materials science education do not under stand how they work & why they work and more importantly why particular materials are used is just pig headed ignorant predjuice .
And yet again, if we say it often enough it might sink in
Change your oil immediately after the last mow every season and the oil filter can sit there untouched for the entire very long life of the mower
Mower engines are the very bottom end in design, crude rude & unsofistigated made to the lowest possible cost & thus lowest performance
So agonizing over the oil filter is a fools errand

tgzzzz

Threads
And yet again, if we say it often enough it might sink in
Why Bert? Why keep saying it and getting all hot? You've had two goes in the last 10 posts. That seems like plenty of repetition. It's actually annoying. Why the need to have "it" sink in? What's the payoff for you? What if someone simply chooses to have a high dollar filter on a low dollar machine? Do we need to sneak around and act all innocent while purchasing behind your back? Is permission required? If someone mentions YouTube again will you have a cardiac arrest? And your spelling needs attention. Ever wonder about that redline? How many times do you need to hear it before it sinks in?

hustlersuperduty

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello everyone, I have a Husqvarna LGT2654 with a Kohler KT745. I need to change the oil there is currently a Wix 51056 oil filter on it. I want to put a Kohler but can’t find it. The sticker on the machine says part number 25 050 40 which is like hunting a ghost. I’ve researched and come up with 2 possibilities. Kohler 52 050 02-S which I bought but haven’t unboxed because now I see a Kohler 12 050 01-s is recommended.
Can someone please educate me. Will they both work? Or which one is it?
If it fits will it work?View attachment 64620
I really appreciate any information shared. Please help!
Been a parts manager for 22 years. Will always recommend factory filters and small engine oils. The zinc that they add to the oil is only available in mower oils. I truly believe it makes a difference. Toro makes a great full synthetic and Kawasaki makes a great partial synthetic. My motto has always been " oil is cheap, engines are high " . In all my years I have never trashed an engine. Currently running a Briggs V twin with over 2500 hours. Factory filters and Kawasaki oils.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Why Bert? Why keep saying it and getting all hot? You've had two goes in the last 10 posts. That seems like plenty of repetition. It's actually annoying. Why the need to have "it" sink in? What's the payoff for you? What if someone simply chooses to have a high dollar filter on a low dollar machine? Do we need to sneak around and act all innocent while purchasing behind your back? Is permission required? If someone mentions YouTube again will you have a cardiac arrest? And your spelling needs attention. Ever wonder about that redline? How many times do you need to hear it before it sinks in?
TG
Yes it needs repeating
day in & day out the same questions keep on coming up.
Many of which are because instead of consulting a mechanic or a forum associated with a site like this they go looking at You Tube videos the bulk of which are trash uploaded to inflate the already over inflated egos of the poster or to suck the fools in and make lots of money.
The fact that there is so much confusion, misinformation & general distrust is confirmed that the simple question posted by Douglas that should have been answered in 2 or 3 replies is now 7 pages long .
For the fun of it and to have a resource to point others to I started a thread You tube videos worth watching
I think we got to about 8 so that speaks volumes when you consider there is over 4000 people on this forum and over 200,000 mower videos on You Tube .
I always liked the quote from "a Fish Called Wanda " apes can read they just do not understand what they are reading and that applies to some where around 80 % of You tube videos , that trash filter reveal being a perfect example .
Sorry about the spelling , since I bleed out & got revived 3 times some parts of the grey cells do not work as good as they could and I ended up being quite innumerate & the dyslexia became chronic so the spelling suffers and of course I use English not American so there are a lot of words spelt correctly that American spell checkers bring up as being wrong then auto correct to a totally different word .
And I am not hot & bothered but some times you have to yell because people are just not listening or to wake up a closed sleeping mind .
After all I am not the one with a broken mower or in this case getting ulcers over a trivial point that does not matter , eithe filter would have ben fine as by & large the filters do very little .

Last edited:

Tom O'

Threads
Hello everyone, I have a Husqvarna LGT2654 with a Kohler KT745. I need to change the oil there is currently a Wix 51056 oil filter on it. I want to put a Kohler but can’t find it. The sticker on the machine says part number 25 050 40 which is like hunting a ghost. I’ve researched and come up with 2 possibilities. Kohler 52 050 02-S which I bought but haven’t unboxed because now I see a Kohler 12 050 01-s is recommended.
Can someone please educate me. Will they both work? Or which one is it?
If it fits will it work?View attachment 64620
I really appreciate any information shared. Please help!
I once read not to use an automobile oil filter on a motorcycle due to pressure differences. Not likely an issue with Kohler filters though.