Oil filter question please help!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
When you guys say "full synthetic oil", you know unless you are buying Redline for example, you are not getting real synthetic oil, in the USA anyway?

Wonder why Mobile One "full synthetic" is so cheap? Darn near the price of raw petroleum oil.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because their is no legal definition of synthetic
So any oil that is broken down into parts then reassembled can be called synthetic.

Douglasdzaster

Threads
Well bust my bubble!
Ive been using (mostly Castrol full synthetic) for years in everything I own. Never had a problem with anything unless I got some bad fuel. My last truck had 286k on it and was still running strong the day I traded a year ago.
Ive always been a stickler for keeping the oil and filter changed in everything though. Has it been my regular maintenance? Now I’m wondering if I could’ve saved a lot of money. I never believed in waiting 10k miles I don’t care what the container said. 5k at the most.
Ive also been told once you run synthetic you shouldn’t go back to conventional. I even use what’s called a synthetic blend 2 stroke marine oil to mix the fuel for my old outboard. 😂
Now I have smoked a chainsaw I used synthetic in but I was using a small saw for big jobs. When it quit I set it on the ground and grabbed only the pull rope and the saw didn’t budge when I lifted up on it. Toast.
Thanks for all the replies I appreciate everything I have learned from y’all.
Oh I ended up picking up a STP filter for the lawn tractor. Thanks again. Awesome forum!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
my current van has 1,682,000 km on it and has seen nothing but whatever 20w50 I can buy in a 44 gallon drum .
True synthetic oil is made from gas then the molecules are broken up and reassmbled to make a liquid which is very expensive
Traditional oils are distilled & filtered off the crude oil as a liquid .
Semi synthetics are made by breaking down traditional oils into all of the component parts then reassembling it using only the bits you need.
This is standard proceedure for thousands of items that need to be exactly the same day in & day out like sugar, bread makers flour, carbon black .

and why people call traditional oil dino oil I have no idea as it is the remains of vegetable matter not dinosaurs and most of it predates dinosaurs .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
my current van has 1,682,000 km on it and has seen nothing but whatever 20w50 I can buy in a 44 gallon drum .
True synthetic oil is made from gas then the molecules are broken up and reassmbled to make a liquid which is very expensive
Traditional oils are distilled & filtered off the crude oil as a liquid .
Semi synthetics are made by breaking down traditional oils into all of the component parts then reassembling it using only the bits you need.
This is standard proceedure for thousands of items that need to be exactly the same day in & day out like sugar, bread makers flour, carbon black .

and why people call traditional oil dino oil I have no idea as it is the remains of vegetable matter not dinosaurs and most of it predates dinosaurs
Today, most conventional oils are blends. This is done to meet current requirements for fuel economy and engine manufacturers.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is really no advantage of using a higher priced synthetic oil in a small engine. A conventional oil is totally fine as long as it meets the engine manufacturers requirements. Oil changes in mowers are usually done yearly or every 100 hours, whichever comes first. At 100 hours, most oils are pretty clean.
What is very important is to keep the incoming air clean. Service those air cleaners as required by the engine manufacturers.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Today, most conventional oils are blends. This is done to meet current requirements for fuel economy and engine manufacturers.
Yes they are blends
And most lubricating oils are made from Australian crude because it makes good oil, lousy petrol or diesel but good heavy lubricants .
But there is a big difference between blending & reassembling

STEVES

Threads
Hello everyone, I have a Husqvarna LGT2654 with a Kohler KT745. I need to change the oil there is currently a Wix 51056 oil filter on it. I want to put a Kohler but can’t find it. The sticker on the machine says part number 25 050 40 which is like hunting a ghost. I’ve researched and come up with 2 possibilities. Kohler 52 050 02-S which I bought but haven’t unboxed because now I see a Kohler 12 050 01-s is recommended.
Can someone please educate me. Will they both work? Or which one is it?
If it fits will it work?View attachment 64620
I really appreciate any information shared. Please help!
Do your google research, Wix oil filters are extremely effective filters, Frams, Stp etc... not! Check a few sites that have tested most filters. You could be surprised! OE filters also top pick, usually.

Dwayne Oxford

Threads
Do yourself a favor. Do some oil filter research, avoid Fram. Call auto parts and get a cross reference. I use Wix. WM synthetic is fine, used it for years, use Rural King now. It's all spec'd same. Sent samples for analysis to be sure. ANY synthetic is better than non.