post proof of bad ethanol problems

drew45

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had this discussion with several others who've told me they actually found bits of corn shuck in the bottom of their tank when cleaning it out. While I have seen, for myself, damage to rubber parts relative to fuel systems I have a hard time grasping the corn shuck story. My brother runs an oil jobber that supplies about 35 gas stations in west Georgia and I've done some riding with his trouble shooter. Way too many filters in place to let anything visible through much less a corn shuck. But as stated above ethanol is an organic mixture that DOES absorb moisture. This has caused a very expensive headache to those who have to deal with it. Down here there are sensors in place that measure the moisture content in underground tanks ( and above) that will shut them down automatically. This moisture is what causes the problem when it is allowed to sit. The longer it sits the more it sucks up causing rust to form. I also had a 1989 Chevy van that ran like a dream for 8 years until 2005. I had it for 8 years. It acted like it was running out of gas. Two VERY good mechanics couldn't
find the problem. I pulled the tank again to check the fuel pump, again. I found the hose going from the filter sock to the pump had tiny holes that could only be seen when it is bent. My mechanic looked and said " Ethanol". Thanks to our wonderful GOV and EPA we will soon have E20. They will not "force" you into an electric car, you'll buy one cause your dino burner doesn't run. With coal power plants being shut down the juice to charge these cars will go through the roof. Solar is a great idea until the batteries blow your house up or start piling up in landfills. Some say wind mills kill birds, I say it weeds out the dumb ones. Someone in 2007 publicly stated "Under my version of a cap and trade plan electricity prices will necessarily skyrocket". Any guesses?

mullins87

Threads
..... Thanks to our wonderful GOV and EPA we will soon have E20. They will not "force" you into an electric car, you'll buy one cause your dino burner doesn't run. With coal power plants being shut down the juice to charge these cars will go through the roof. Solar is a great idea until the batteries blow your house up or start piling up in landfills. Some say wind mills kill birds, I say it weeds out the dumb ones. Someone in 2007 publicly stated "Under my version of a cap and trade plan electricity prices will necessarily skyrocket". Any guesses?

I have a 2010 Taurus. That new of a car should be built to handle ethanol mixed fuel. Well, it specifically states in the owners manual to NOT use E20. Yes, thank you EPA!!!! I can't wait to see what headaches you will cause me!!

braxx

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Champion 4k watt generator that I bought around 2007 or so. It gets ran on average, one time a year for about 30min and the fuel gets topped up with regular fuel. It stays in storage from Oct. 15 through May 1st. On May 1st (give or take a week) is when I start it and top it up so that I know I can use it for my camper if the power goes out during the summer. I've only had to use it for 2 days a couple of years ago and that is all.
It starts every time.

Brucebotti

Threads
Hey Exotion.....see what you started....:laughing:

Actually its been an interesting, and for the most part, civil experience.
Bruce

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I still say ethanol is being blamed for the use of cheap parts that will fail no matter what gas you use. You say you have seen what it does to fuel lines so what did you use to test the fuel line to know that ethanol did it? Oh that's right you did no tests or study's on it. Why is it that people that use non ethanol gas still have to replace fuel lines?

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey Exotion.....see what you started....:laughing:

Actually its been an interesting, and for the most part, civil experience.
Bruce

It definately has been interesting good info

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a 2010 Taurus. That new of a car should be built to handle ethanol mixed fuel. Well, it specifically states in the owners manual to NOT use E20. Yes, thank you EPA!!!! I can't wait to see what headaches you will cause me!!

I don't know about E20, but according to the RFS Act(Renewable Fuel Standard), E15 will be hitting the market before we know it(and my Gravely & Kawasaki specifically state that anything higher than E10 will "void my warranty":0(
Don't know if this would be condidered "proof" of the disadvantages of E15, but below is a link that warns of the potential problems associated with it:

Fill Up On Facts

P.S.
It also has a link to "Tell Washington to repeal the RFS", if that is the inclination of your stand on Ethanol being "forced" upon us by our government(I cringe every time I think about that statement...."we are here from the government and we want to help":0(

Last edited:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know about E20, but according to the RFS Act(Renewable Fuel Standard), E15 will be hitting the market before we know it(and my Gravely & Kawasaki specifically state that anything higher than E10 will "void my warranty":0(
Don't know if this would be condidered "proof" of the disadvantages of E15, but below is a link that warns of the potential problems associated with it:

Fill Up On Facts

P.S.
It also has a link to "Tell Washington to repeal the RFS", if that is the inclination of your stand on Ethanol being "forced" upon us by our government(I cringe every time I think about that satement...."we are here from the government and we want to help":0(

I hate to say this but that link isn't proof of anything, It's posted by the people of the Oil and natural gas Industry. It's what the oil industry wants you to believe. They post the propaganda because the more Bio-fuel that is used the less profit they make. It's natural that they will say and post anything to get people stirred up over its use.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hate to say this but that link isn't proof of anything, It's posted by the people of the Oil and natural gas Industry. It's what the oil industry wants you to believe. They post the propaganda because the more Bio-fuel that is used the less profit they make. It's natural that they will say and post anything to get people stirred up over its use.

Granted, a lot of the research links on that API-sponsored website are by research entities like CRC(also, supported by the petroleum and automotive equipment industries):

http://www.crcao.com/reports/recent... Durability/CRC CM-136-09-1B Final Report.pdf

http://www.crcao.com/reports/recent...15a]/AVFL 15a [CRC 664] Final Report only.pdf

......but what about AAA(I don't think they are):

New E15 Gasoline May Damage Vehicles and Cause Consumer Confusion | AAA NewsRoom

Then there is the economic impact study prepared for the API by a private consulting company:

http://www.api.org/policy-and-issue...micImpactsResultingfromRFS2Implementation.pdf

I just don't see how none of this could be considered "proof" that E15 is going to be bad all things considered and/or E10 couldn't be much better.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
E15 will be interesting but basically there is nothing anyone can do about it so.... Adapt, overcome, and improvise that's all we can do besides wait and see.

Basically so far I see a couple recurring things here. People do not run their equipment enough and don't know how to maintain. And cheap parts that will fail anyway but failure being sped up by improper maintenance.

Not excatly what I was asking for. So far I have gotten opinions and links to other opinions yet to see actual proof. Any one care to do experiment and post pics and progress here. Find some old carbs that run take them off soak them in e10 for a certain amount of time and test the carbs after a week Again after a month and monthly after that maybe this will prove it?