looking for a zero turn 3.27 acres

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Kevin, thanks; for those not from the NY, New England area, Emerich is a very respected, very established and very large equipment dealer in the ag/grounds care industry. To keep things easy to follow I'll ask my questions one at a time;

Both Scag and Husqvarna state on their websites, links posted in this thread, that a -true- zero turn or even 'tight' turns cannot be made without damaging turf and that the correct manner in which to operate a zt to avoid damage is to use what is called a 'T' turn or similar-your thoughts?

Robert I thought you always gave accurate information, appearently you need to go back and read the Scag site again about the correct manner in which to operate a zt to avoid damage. Scag says to Use a 3-point / Y-turns at the end of a mowing row rather than zero-turns to change direction. It is still a fast maneuver and will reduce the potential of turf damage greatly.

robert

Threads
Ric, slow progress is still progress; I offer to you that when you operate a zt in the required manner so as to avoid turf damage that in the end, a quality tractor will mow in a time so close so as to make it virtually a draw.
Tractor one, zero turn, well- zero.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric, slow progress is still progress; I offer to you that when you operate a zt in the required manner so as to avoid turf damage that in the end, a quality tractor will mow in a time so close so as to make it virtually a draw.
Tractor one, zero turn, well- zero.

robert as I said previous knowing how to operate a zero can make all the difference in the world. I've been mowing with a ZTR's and Tractor's for a long time, some thirty or more years with Dixie Chopper, John Deere, Cub Cadet, Honda and so on.
In the time, 24 years I worked for the county the idiots at the county office discovered Lawn and garden tractors in the real world of time and money don't cut it. I also started my business in 2006 with a lawn tractor and shortly found out it wasn't the way to go and replaced them with ZTR's.

If your tractors are so great and faster than and cut better than a ZTR explain to me why myself and all the Professionals in the Lawn-Care business aren't using them? The answer is time is money and the only way you make time and money is with a faster cutting mower, the ZTR.
Now I agree with you as far as making a zero turn on turf without doing damage but I also know that anyone with any common sense knows you don't operate a zero turn that way if you want to stay in business, that was not the design or intention of a ztr.
You talk about mowing speeds 8 and 10 mph, again any idiot knows you can't mow that fast and get a decent cut, those speeds are for transport only, so if you mow the correct speed for your tractor the ztr will be faster and you talk about mowing slopes and as of yet I've not seen anyone talk about slope mowing and doing that the right or correct way.
When it comes right down to it this whole discussion really is irrelevant because you're talking about two different mower designs. The ZTR is the best of the best for what it was designed for and that's mowing lawns and saving time and you cannot dispute that, just like the tractor and its design intention.

I offer to you that when anyone that knows how operate a ztr in the required manner so as to avoid turf damage that in the end, a quality tractor will not come close to the speed of a ZTR. I think if you stop and think about you would realize that there is no way possible you can make a three point turn or 180 degree turn on a tractor as fast as a ZTR, again common sense would tell you that, so time wise the ZTR would finish long before the tractor.

Last edited:

robert

Threads
Ric, didn't I post long ago that the zt only makes sense for the pro who only wants to mow? but since you are raising the speed issue let me ask you this; on how many jobs are you able to mow at the maximum speed your machine is capable of? or perhaps a better way to ask, if your average job takes an hour in mow time how many minutes do you think you are moving at the highest speed available to you? wanna bet its about 10 minutes?? For your average job....

Hey I just realized that -I- made post 100 here-yuck, yuck, yuck......

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ric, didn't I post long ago that the zt only makes sense for the pro who only wants to mow? but since you are raising the speed issue let me ask you this; on how many jobs are you able to mow at the maximum speed your machine is capable of? or perhaps a better way to ask, if your average job takes an hour in mow time how many minutes do you think you are moving at the highest speed available to you? wanna bet its about 10 minutes?? For your average job....

Hey I just realized that -I- made post 100 here-yuck, yuck, yuck......

As I said before You talk about mowing speeds 8 and 10 mph, again any idiot knows you can't mow that fast and get a decent cut. I never mow at full forward speed on any job. Those speeds are for transport only. Same for your tractor, so if you mow the correct speed for your tractor the ztr will be faster. Common sense

Please you didn't answer my other question:
If your tractors are so great and faster than and cut better than a ZTR explain to me why myself and all the Professionals and Commercial Operators in the Lawn-Care business aren't using them?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
A ZT is good if the yard is level. Down here in alabama every yard has a ditch at the road side I have yet to see a ZT that can mow this ditch with out going up and down Takes to long And most are to tall to get under trees or to wide to get threw a gate And they weigh more than a YT more weight on the trailer more gas in the truck to haul it More parts to replace Now if you have a open yard with grass under a foot tall and no hills then a ZT is the way to go

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... Now if you have ... grass under a foot tall ... then a ZT is the way to go
Now THAT is funny... but very true, if your grass is over a foot tall, you need a swather, you left the yard & your out in the hay field... :smile:KennyV

Common sense

you didn't answer my other question:

Ric... I'm pretty sure you have realized your wasting your time with logic & reason here.... robert is Only wanting to hear things that support His wrong impression of ZT's...

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess what I am saying is just get what ever it is that will do the job you need it to do. In my line of work I can expect at least one yard a week will have grass (weeds) over a foot tall full of trash rocks Car parts just no telling.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now THAT is funny... but very true, if your grass is over a foot tall, you need a swather, you left the yard & your out in the hay field... :smile:KennyV

Ric... I'm pretty sure you have realized your wasting your time with logic & reason here.... robert is Only wanting to hear things that support His wrong impression of ZT's...

Kenny, I guess it took me a while but yes I can see what you mean.

EmerichSales

Threads
My Wife mows the Lawn and she went from 4 hours with a 60" Graden Tractor to 1.75Hours with a 52" Commercial Zero Turn. Most of my customers have come back and said that it cut about 50% off their mowing time. The first time people mow with a zero turn they do dig up the lawn. Most people need a couple of hours on a machine to get used to it. I don't remember Ever having a customer trade in a Zero Turn on a Tractor. It seems once someone gets a Zero Turn they will Always use a Zero Turn.