Briggs& Stratton engine will not turn over

Forest#2

Threads
Watch this link: and when done wait for the second link. If the 2nd link does not auto play after about 20 seconds wait time just clink on the link.
Keeps a heads up as to the valves opening closing and valve overlap. Very important that the valves be adjusted when the piston is on the COMPRESSION stroke and piston is going down 1/4 inch AFTER (past) TDC. (when adjusting per the service manual. If adjusting the valves on the ex stroke it won't run correctly or at all. About your ? about the timing mark being 180 out per your marks. Turn the flywheel one more turn and your marks will align and the piston will be at or close to TDC. The flywheel magnet (and your mark) goes by the magneto 2 times but only one is of the two revolutions is when the piston is at at TDC for the compression stroke.

This link will give you a refresher for a single cylinder 4 stroke engine.
https://www.bing.com/videos/rivervi...9A0C11A6A3A281A0B3B09A0C11A6A3A2&&FORM=VRDGAR

AND another that usually auto plays after the first one:

JimP2014

Threads
Watch this link: and when done wait for the second link. If the 2nd link does not auto play after about 20 seconds wait time just clink on the link.
Keeps a heads up as to the valves opening closing and valve overlap. Very important that the valves be adjusted when the piston is on the COMPRESSION stroke and piston is going down 1/4 inch AFTER (past) TDC. (when adjusting per the service manual. If adjusting the valves on the ex stroke it won't run correctly or at all. About your ? about the timing mark being 180 out per your marks. Turn the flywheel one more turn and your marks will align and the piston will be at or close to TDC. The flywheel magnet (and your mark) goes by the magneto 2 times but only one is of the two revolutions is when the piston is at at TDC for the compression stroke.

This link will give you a refresher for a single cylinder 4 stroke engine.
https://www.bing.com/videos/riverview/relatedvideo?&q=How+does+a+single+cylinder+4+cycle+engine+operate?&&mid=81A0B3B09A0C11A6A3A281A0B3B09A0C11A6A3A2&&FORM=VRDGAR

AND another that usually auto plays after the first one:

Forest if this is in response to what I was saying about being 180° out of sync I think it has to do with after I set up the mark mark on the plastic fins with a mark on the ignition coil. I took the plastic fins off and when I put them back they can either go one way or the other and I think I put them the other way. I think that's what happened there but I will reread this. Maybe I have a problem with the valve clearance the way I set it. But the only thing I know is the first time I started this morning it sounded okay and then it started hunting and surging and then the second time the third time the fourth time the fifth time it was pretty much a disaster. The flywheel rotated and nothing happened but the last time or one of the last times I heard metal banging inside the engine and it wasn't a combustion banging. It was metal on metal. I think I then took spark plug out and I made sure that the Piston head was traveling and it is. So I guess that's a good thing, but I don't have an experience to understand what that metal banging was. One of you folks might just say oh I know what that is. Well I can't say that.

But thanks for the reply and I'll read the relevant parts for setting valves and any other information you provided when I'm in front of a PC.

Jim

JimP2014

Threads
Forest if this is in response to what I was saying about being 180° out of sync I think it has to do with after I set up the mark mark on the plastic fins with a mark on the ignition coil. I took the plastic fins off and when I put them back they can either go one way or the other and I think I put them the other way. I think that's what happened there but I will reread this. Maybe I have a problem with the valve clearance the way I set it. But the only thing I know is the first time I started this morning it sounded okay and then it started hunting and surging and then the second time the third time the fourth time the fifth time it was pretty much a disaster. The flywheel rotated and nothing happened but the last time or one of the last times I heard metal banging inside the engine and it wasn't a combustion banging. It was metal on metal. I think I then took spark plug out and I made sure that the Piston head was traveling and it is. So I guess that's a good thing, but I don't have an experience to understand what that metal banging was. One of you folks might just say oh I know what that is. Well I can't say that.

But thanks for the reply and I'll read the relevant parts for setting valves and any other information you provided when I'm in front of a PC.

Jim
I should say when there is banging. Probably the explosions. There were many many of them. This was one single bang and then the engine quit and I thought it was metal on metal but I'm not sure any more than that but it was just one bang as if something hit something and then stopped

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You going have to take engine to engine obedience school if you want to obey your commands. The only I got an engine to turn over was when I forgot to bolt it down.

JimP2014

Threads
You going have to take engine to engine obedience school if you want to obey your commands. The only I got an engine to turn over was when I forgot to bolt it down.
It's signed up for the School of hard knocks.

JimP2014

Threads
It's signed up for the School of hard knocks.
A few days ago I tightened the four bolts and those things were secure, but I think you're referring to what I was trying to turn over the edge in. In other words, a flywheel rotating. It was like the whole chassis was shaking the wheels. The chassis that's what it looked like and I don't know if I captured that on video

davis2

Threads
Hi Davis, 2,

If you're thinking that this Governor issue was somehow internal to the short block, then I can't picture myself messing around with it if that turns out to be true.

Jim
Jim, it was an attempt at humor. I meant YOU!

Timtoo

Threads
The flywheel key looks intact but that means nothing. I'm wondering if I should pull the head right now or assume the key works. It looks intact. It looks in the correct location but who knows, but I'm thinking of moving on to spark fuel carburetor arena.

Jim
Jim, I have been following this thread and just looked at the post attachment of the flywheel and key alignment from page 22 of the comments. It appears that the flywheel isn't sitting square on the shaft and there looks like a large amount of 'slop' between the shaft and keyway. Could it be that when the flywheel key was sheared and spinning around that the flywheel/shaft became wallowed out, if that happened, it would create room for the flywheel to get out of time.

JimP2014

Threads
I have a PHd...
The 19.5 horsepower lt2000 I think has a serious camshaft issue. Someone mentioned it before. I can't remember who but that very well could be true. I'm going with that now that I said this. It'll probably start up perfectly and cut through anything.

But I have a yard machine. 17.5 horsepower Briggs& Stratton twin v that I picked up because I needed something and I just ended up pushing this back to the work area. It can't handle any stress. It wants to quit and it quit right where it needed to almost the furthest point in the yard. I wouldn't say it's hunting and surging. It's more like I'm about to quit but I'll try and come back to life. I'm about to quit and I want to come back to life and then it quit