Briggs& Stratton engine will not turn over

JimP2014

Threads
I would not mangle the block by cutting a hole to use a camera.
Reasons why.
Those engines part out really good. (you currently most likely have a good block.
You will not be able see and really inspect good even with a good camera.
Those engines with the oil pump are user friendly to take apart for someone like you that has patience. (patience is one of the main things when doing anything)
Do it in your spare time eventually.

Labor costs of shops for such has it's limits.

No special tools are required to take the sump off and inspect the camshaft. (or to put it back together)
Lots of you tube videos about how to remove the sump and re-install on that engine and inspect the camshaft, remove cam, re-install, etc. Do remove the carb and intake as it can be easily broken. You can leave the flywheel on the engine to remove the sump cover.

I've used the china clone gasket kits instead of the pricy Briggs real deal stuff on that model Briggs and they work good.
You might get by without pulling the head, just loosen the rocker arms.
One of the first things to check for taking apart is use a really good 5/16 6 point socket on the 3 oil pump screws and do not round off their heads. Some are really tight and have tendency to want to not come out and if the socket slips it will round off their heads and then require additional steps.

A big metal bread pan or a big plastic lid is good up on a piece of plywood on sawhorse is good for shade tree. the pan catches/captures any oil dribbing and any small piece that might try to escape.

One thing that I would do before taking it apart is run a leak down test. (or even ask a small engine shop their labor cost for doing such)
You can probably rent such from a Auto parts store
Only takes few minutes when experienced and is one of the first things a good small engine shop should do instead of just taking it apart.. You can review such on-line for a single cylinder small engine.
Also good Briggs experience if you want to become more independent of repairing your own mowers.
Also don;t be surprised if the engine mounting bolts twidt off. Sometimes on old Aluminum block Briggs engines the 9/16 head steel bolts are gall seized in the aluminum block and one or two might twist off. Best to not start the removal process with a impact wrench and use a good 6 point socket. Start manual removal with 1/2 inch drive breakover or long handle ratchet.
If the engine mounting bolts twist off or the head rounds off you are immediately SOL.
Forest, keep in mind I spent maybe 5 weeks trying to figure out. Is it something broken inside or is there something that's not adjusted properly? You know had I known 5 weeks ago, I want to bother messing with it on the outside and I don't have a skills to hear things that are going on inside that someone who spends a lot of time with small engines with no like right away. So I guess my idea of the hole with the bolt really stems from wanting to know right away what was going on otherwise I would have never thought of drilling a hole through the block so you could use a camera later on. Never thought of that before because never really cared. Never had wasted 5 weeks or more on a problem that there was just no solution to from replacing things on the outside of the engine block.

Jim

JimP2014

Threads
Forest, keep in mind I spent maybe 5 weeks trying to figure out. Is it something broken inside or is there something that's not adjusted properly? You know had I known 5 weeks ago, I want to bother messing with it on the outside and I don't have a skills to hear things that are going on inside that someone who spends a lot of time with small engines with no like right away. So I guess my idea of the hole with the bolt really stems from wanting to know right away what was going on otherwise I would have never thought of drilling a hole through the block so you could use a camera later on. Never thought of that before because never really cared. Never had wasted 5 weeks or more on a problem that there was just no solution to from replacing things on the outside of the engine block.

Jim
But having said all that maybe 4 weeks ago, some folks and I can't remember who they are said it's probably the camshaft. Maybe it's spent. Maybe there's something wrong with it, so if it was them they probably would have just proceeded to take take the engine apart but I didn't know if they're right or wrong. Now I know they're right

Jim

JimP2014

Threads
But having said all that maybe 4 weeks ago, some folks and I can't remember who they are said it's probably the camshaft. Maybe it's spent. Maybe there's something wrong with it, so if it was them they probably would have just proceeded to take take the engine apart but I didn't know if they're right or wrong. Now I know they're right

Jim
Actually the more I think of it. I want to walk back this this comment and here's why it might have been like a week ago I had the engine housing off. The engine started up right away and there was no hunting and surging. Maybe only a very little bit and I thought that the solution was something to do with the carburetor so that actually happened and I may have video of it. So how does that? Assuming I can produce the video be possible if there's something wrong with a camshaft. In other words, I was not thinking about any internal damage to the engine. I thought I was maybe an adjustment here there away from a perfectly running engine. I thought it was running okay that day except it just needed a minor tweak.

Jim

davis2

Threads
Actually the more I think of it. I want to walk back this this comment and here's why it might have been like a week ago I had the engine housing off. The engine started up right away and there was no hunting and surging. Maybe only a very little bit and I thought that the solution was something to do with the carburetor so that actually happened and I may have video of it. So how does that? Assuming I can produce the video be possible if there's something wrong with a camshaft. In other words, I was not thinking about any internal damage to the engine. I thought I was maybe an adjustment here there away from a perfectly running engine. I thought it was running okay that day except it just needed a minor tweak.

Jim
Jim, you have done about all you can. Just allow someone to do a proper autopsy and see if CPR may help your block?

JimP2014

Threads
Jim, you have done about all you can. Just allow someone to do a proper autopsy and see if CPR may help your block?
So I don't know the significance of this but the Valve cap from the exhaust valve is missing. So I have to put another extra one on that I have and then when it doesn't start then I agree with you 100%. But I can't leave it like it is. The valve cap is looks like a little hockey puck made out of metal. It sits on top of the metal poster valve but you guys already know that I'm sure.

Jim

Forest#2

Threads
So I don't know the significance of this but the Valve cap from the exhaust valve is missing. So I have to put another extra one on that I have and then when it doesn't start then I agree with you 100%. But I can't leave it like it is. The valve cap is looks like a little hockey puck made out of metal. It sits on top of the metal poster valve but you guys already know that I'm sure.

Jim
What is the chance it fell into the engine crankcase through the valve push rod galley?

JimP2014

Threads
What is the chance it fell into the engine crankcase through the valve push rod galley?
Forest it absolutely is in this little container that I saved. It has a bunch of flywheel, keys and all that other stuff. If you're betting on a fell into the engine, you're betting on the fact that I have 100% concentration and that's a bad bet so I have no idea. I'm just telling you what I discovered this morning

JimP2014

Threads
Forest it absolutely is in this little container that I saved. It has a bunch of flywheel, keys and all that other stuff. If you're betting on a fell into the engine, you're betting on the fact that I have 100% concentration and that's a bad bet so I have no idea. I'm just telling you what I discovered this morning
What? I don't know is if you're missing one of those valve capsAnd and start the engine what will happen?

JimP2014

Threads
What? I don't know is if you're missing one of those valve capsAnd and start the engine what will happen?
And this is for the guy who thinks I'm messing with people. This is what happens. I'm not trying to do this. I want a lawn mower that works. That's all I want

JimP2014

Threads
And this is for the guy who thinks I'm messing with people. This is what happens. I'm not trying to do this. I want a lawn mower that works. That's all I want
So with both valve caps basically the engine is destroyed. So absolutely time for the shop and not mine