Briggs& Stratton engine will not turn over

oldntired55

Threads
Jim, I'm having problems following your posts and visualizing what the issue is. You bounce back and forth with the engine 'not turning over'. That would mean it is not rotating when the key is turned. Then you state you 'have spark' or 'does not start'. This would mean that it is turning over, but not firing or starting..

I would check for compression first. Remove the spark plug and insulate the spark plug wire. Lightly put your finger in the cylinder plug hole and crank the engine. You should feel good size puffs of air forcing your finger out. Not an accurate test, but will indicate some compression. If compression is there, you could squirt a small amount of gas, or cleaner, directly into the cylinder. Replace the plug with a new one. Crank it and see what happens. If it does try and run, squirt more gas or cleaner into the carb intake. See if it continues.

If it won't run, then I would think not enough compression or leaking out the head gasket or valves. I wouldn't think timing as you said the key was already replaced. Most of the Briggs have the kill wire on the bottom of the coil and the coils orientation is stamped on the laminated metal. Removing the kill wire will eliminate safety's from being an issue. If you do get lucky and it starts, you'll have to choke it or pull the plug wire to stop the engine. Best of hunting.
i wish folks could all be on the same side of the fence with "non-start up " terms. not turning over, wont 'catch' etc...it either cranks and will not run, or...it will not crank with the starter... cmon folks..

rhkraft

Threads
I apologize to everyone who has viewed these posts because all the information I provided kept changing from my perspective because I couldn't figure out what's going on. But here's what the whole thing comes down to and I'm pretty sure of this. I'm absolutely getting spark if the spark plug using the spark plug tester that is consistent. It is the same for the last 1 and 1/2 days. I never realized the ignition coil had an orientation but it does. But the point is when I turn the key the key does trigger the starter. As long as the riding mower is in park position, I removed the safety switch underneath the seat a couple years ago and it has been fine but I can say the problem right now is I'm definitely getting spark to the spark plug and even with carburetor cleaner sprayed into the intake, the engine refuses to even start for a split second which has never been the case. So the question is, can the electronic fuel solenoid not only defeat regular gas going into the carburetor but can it also defeat carburetor cleaner? This is really the question.

Or any other scenario where you definitely have spark but the engine refuses to turn over. Would this be some sort of safety device or is it simply take a look at what's going on in the carburetor?

Thanks to anyone who can answer this, I appreciate it very much.

Jim
Carb cleaner????? Use starting fluid. If is runs for a bit, clean the carb by taking it off and taking it apart. Clean all the jets with pressure can carb cleaner.

rhkraft

Threads
Carb cleaner????? Use starting fluid. If is runs for a bit, clean the carb by taking it off and taking it apart. Clean all the jets with pressure can carb cleaner.

JimP2014

Threads
I just wanted to follow up today regarding this lt200 0 riding mower with a 19.5 horsepower Briggs& Stratton OHV engine. Back in early June. The muffler wore the engine was smoking so I changed the valve cover gasket and the head gasket. I also changed the oil and it may not have been the correct amount of oil because the previous owner overfilled the oil. So that's one possibility it did not have enough oil. In any case, on that day I started cutting the lawn and I was in the front yard and the first thing I noticed was the muffler which is a Husqvarna separated from the exhaust pipe and fell into this cage area. I remember that from years ago so the engine was running very hot and then probably about a minute or two. Later there was this loud bang and then the engine quit. I couldn't restart it and since this is kind of long to begin with I can only say I purchased a carburetor on Amazon and my belief is for probably 6 weeks. After that I was convinced it was some sort of other problem, but it was the carburetor that I purchased on Amazon. I then purchased another carburetor roughly 6 weeks later and it ran okay. So essentially I wasted 6 weeks with a brand new carburetor that did not run. I didn't think the carburetor was a problem. I believe the loud bang was something internal that was causing the carburetor to not run correctly, but the truth is I've actually had. Good luck on Amazon with carburetors so probably in mid-august. I bought another carburetor on Amazon and it started right up. I have another riding mower that is a twin v flathead. I bought a carburetor on Amazon for that and it's running perfect prior that the Briggs of Stratton twin v would quit under load so. But the lt2 000 with the 19.5 horsepower Briggs& Stratton OHV engine is pretty much running okay, which is what this thread is about. It seems like it might not have the same power but it's very close and it cuts the lawn. Many people have helped me on this given their insight into the problem. I'm sure anyone who has extensive knowledge of engines could have recognized or did things differently when I purchased the initial carburetor on Amazon. In retrospect, I spent as much money and certainly a lot more time trying to figure out that my initial purchase of a carburetor for this engine was either defective or was the wrong one. Don't know. The only thing I can say further is if you have a perfectly good carburetor and for whatever reason you want to switch that out with an Amazon carburetor you would know right away whether this new carburetor is good. So the only thing that would make one of these carburetors Worth the hassle is to buy one in advance. Swap out the perfectly running carburetor for your engine and both carburetors are behaving exactly the same, then hold on to one of them for the future. This way you can completely eliminate the purchase of a new carburetor from the problem as a variable.
But I do appreciate the help people provide here and they certainly are at a disadvantage because if they're standing right next to the machine they would clearly know where to look for the problem. And it is up to the person who has a small engine problem to accurately convey all information and that can be a problem.

But I was able to get quite a bit of help from one individual and he is a member of this forum.

Jim