Whats wrong with buying a Sears/Craftsman?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I bought the DYT Crafsman I knew nothing about lawn mowers. Over again I would buy a blown unit (there are plenty) and rebuild like I did my new crafsman (twice). Grrr.

What is a blown unit? If you rebuilt your new mower twice then two people put it together wrong.

Can anyone tell me why they think craftsman mowers are junk? And don't say they are cheap or they don't last I want to know what parts are no good. And don't say the engine because it is the same one that goes on the so called best mowers.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
What is a blown unit? If you rebuilt your new mower twice then two people put it together wrong.

Can anyone tell me why they think craftsman mowers are junk? And don't say they are cheap or they don't last I want to know what parts are no good. And don't say the engine because it is the same one that goes on the so called best mowers.

If you rebuilt your new mower twice then two people put it together wrong.

Excuse me but if he purchased a New Craftsman Mower from Sears it was undoubtedly put together by Sears or by whom ever manufactures there mowers, then you ask can anyone tell me why they think craftsman mowers are junk? icon_scratch.png Seems like you kinda answered your own question doesn't it.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads

carsc: A guy on post 41 above bought what sounds like junk...Others have heard me rave ad nauseum so I will not repeat it . The forum is full of detail from my failures and rebuilds. Craftsman DYT 4000 is not junk. With 500 hrs since new it is reliable now that it is cooled. Except for the Intek 24 it has been bullet proof. Original belts and blades , clutch and trans. The head (rt side) and cooling "on mine" was junk, but the new head has held up. This unit was babied from square one. Craftsman has distanced itself from the Intek name with "Platinum" No one has told me how this is any better than the Intek. Badge engineering like Detroit used to do. Also someone said the YT series is Husky made. Mine's 2004. The average owner is silent about failures so we are left with the flakey undefined stats from consumer reports which shows the big box
units about the same in reliability.

Last edited:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads

Blown unit, my defintion...defect requiring overhaul or repair exceeding owner's willingness to fund

CauZey

Threads
carsc: A guy on post 41 above bought what sounds like junk...Others have heard me rave ad nauseum so I will not repeat it . The forum is full of detail from my failures and rebuilds. Craftsman DYT 4000 is not junk. With 500 hrs since new it is reliable now that it is cooled. Except for the Intek 24 it has been bullet proof. Original belts and blades , clutch and trans. The head (rt side) and cooling "on mine" was junk, but the new head has held up. This unit was babied from square one. Craftsman has distanced itself from the Intek name with "Platinum" No one has told me how this is any better than the Intek. Badge engineering like Detroit used to do. Also someone said the YT series is Husky made. Mine's 2004. The average owner is silent about failures so we are left with the flakey undefined stats from consumer reports which shows the big box
units about the same in reliability.

So with that being said I'm looking into buying one what would be your choice? I cut about 20 yards total a month but am not prepared at this time to buy a more expensive commercial unit until I get more accounts.

Threads
So with that being said I'm looking into buying one what would be your choice? I cut about 20 yards total a month but am not prepared at this time to buy a more expensive commercial unit until I get more accounts.

What kind of mower are you looking for? A self-propelled mower? Lawn/garden tractor? Zero-turn? :rolleyes:

CauZey

Threads
Sorry I assumed we were talkin about craftsman lawn tractors

Threads
Oh, OK. I didn't know since Craftsman makes all 3 of those types of mowers.
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
I have no experience with Craftsman mowers, though I do have a Craftsman snowblower that I love, but I would have to say (IF YOU WANT TO BUY A CRAFTSMAN LAWN TRACTOR), maybe something like this. I have heard some good reviews on it. But again, I don't have any experience with Craftsman lawn tractors so I would see if anyone else does.
4.jpg arrow.gif Turn Tight 42: Find Craftsman Yard Tractors Only at Sears

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

Just FYI.jpg it was on the news this morning that Best Buy, Sears, JC Penneys and a couple of more are closing some of there locations soon, so you can take the info for what it's worth.:confused3:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
And McDonalds is going to close 1300 stores this year. So don't buy a Big Mac