Whats wrong with buying a Sears/Craftsman?

kermit911

Threads
In the past couple of days I have been reading a lot of posts. I came across a couple posts that didn't care for Sears/Craftsman mowers. Just curious on why or how Craftsman got a bad name. I have a lot of craftsman and there stuff has never FAILED me. I have had a problem or two but mostly it was my fault.

If you where to buy a lawnmower today, what brand would you go with?

benski

Threads
It all boils down to budget, as always...:frown: My personal favorites are Simplicity, the John Deere stuff that starts at about $3500, and Kubota. None of these choices are for the financially faint of heart, but they will typically put a smile on your face every time you use it. Just my $.02.:smile:

rron1229

Threads
I think for the money Craftsman is a great mower. I am on my second rider since I have been living on my 2 1/2 acre lawn. The first one was used and I have used it for about 11 years, and this spring I finally bought a new 288130 46 in. Agreed they are not a John Deere or Cub Cadet but there is a big price difference. My vote on a dependable reasonably priced mower , is Craftsman. Hope this helps .

LandN

Threads
In the past couple of days I have been reading a lot of posts. I came across a couple posts that didn't care for Sears/Craftsman mowers. Just curious on why or how Craftsman got a bad name. I have a lot of craftsman and there stuff has never FAILED me. I have had a problem or two but mostly it was my fault.

I have owned and used craftsman mowers and leaf blowers and they worked well, but i also experienced their 'mobile home service' and that was some very good service and on time.:biggrin: i think maybe some people expect to much from a homeowner type mower,and then when it can't deliver what they think it should.....thats when the stories start up.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
There is nothing wrong with a Craftsman mower. The cost is the difference. A Craftsman is a cheaper mower to buy and after a few years of hard use you throw it away. You pay a lot more for (in my case) a Ferris and it will last for years of hard use. Now you will still have repairs on both mower but less on the pricier one.

kermit911

Threads
Now that makes cents. It's all about the money. I have always wanted a beast of a mower, like a three or four cylinder monster! Even something to fix up, buy cheep and fix up, have fun. :smile:

tankdriver

Threads
I like the Craftsman PGT I purchased. It has done everything I have asked it to do, and done it very well. A lot of it is brand preference. Some people love Ford, some hate them. To each his own.....:smile:

rekees

Threads
There's nothing wrong with buying a Craftsman. I have two walk behinds and 2 riders. They are basically medium priced and medium quality. However I no longer like to do business with Sears because in recent years they have become more interested in selling their credit card than merchandise.

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads

craftsman has always been a good value [the ratio of quality and price]..but remember ...mowers have low resale value....so you can pick up near new ones at a substantial discount :thumbsup:

benski

Threads
Yes, indeed. My Sears dealer has a couple of brand new mowers going for about $100.00 more than 2 year old comparable machines are being sold for on Craigslist. Warranty included, and all that.:cool: