Oil filter question please help!

tgzzzz

Threads
Bert was commenting about how crude these air cooled engines are along the lines of oil filters don't matter much. I wonder. An old flathead sure but these newer OHV? Hondas and Kawasakis are crude?

GrumpyCat

Threads
Bert was commenting about how crude these air cooled engines are along the lines of oil filters don't matter much. I wonder. An old flathead sure but these newer OHV? Hondas and Kawasakis are crude?
I don't think "crude" is the correct term. But I will agree our OHV engines are lower stressed than high output automobile engines.

I will agree with all engines the oil filter is only there to remove the worst particulates. Generally carbon which has accumulated on a cooler surface, then fallen off as a big chunk. Is best for the oil's detergents keep the carbon soot on suspension (which means it passes through any oil filter) to be removed from the engine when the oil is drained.

Have asked on other forums and never been answered, "What is the relationship between oil filter micron rating and engine life? Spell it out. If I have a 10 micron filter how much longer will my engine last vs 50 micron filter?" Have concluded oil filter micron rating is a Marketing Mind Game. You absolutely do not question a finer micron filter is better than a larger micron filter. Therefore Marketing doesn't have to provide engine life data. Can't help think they would provide the data if engine life was significantly increased.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The last Yamaha motorcycle engine I pulled down had metering jets on every cam bushing on the DOHC head to control the oil flow
Every where else the oil hole drillings were different sizes to get the right oil pressure / flow to do the job required
It was 500 cc , produced 6 times the torque of their 500cc mower engine
Mower engines have 2 at best oil holes ( if any at all ) and use splash to lube everything other than the big end and even then some still use splash for that.
Have a good look at the rockers , nearly all of them are simple spring loaded ball & sockets not full shafts & bushes .
So yes rude rude & unsofisticated
Which by the way is what you want for a lawn mower that will be used , abused & neglected
Do not conflate crude with frail or unfit for purpose.
The prime criteria for a mower engine is to be cheaper than the opposition in every Hp rating .
So oil filters are quite arbitory & argueing about them dose little than display the lack of understanding about engines & lubrication .
The addition of external oil filters is more of a sales gimmick than a requirement for the particular engine over it's designed service life.
For decades both B & S and Tecumseh had an oil filter fitted that just circulated oil from the sump through the filter then back to the sump .
Even now when you read specifications you will see "External oil Filter " on one engine and the next one up in price will be labeled "Spin on oil filter with pressure fed crank shaft " and on a few "Spin on oil filter with full pressure lubrication "
All 3 are different , first is just splash , second has oil to the big end only , last has oil to big end & upper crankshaft bush .
Not a single one I have pulled down have rolling element support of any type for the crankshaft , or even a thrust race to support the crank

tgzzzz

Threads
Outstanding post Bert. Thank you.

Edited to add this out of place question: how long do residential ZRT hydrogears last?

upnorthwi

Forum Newbie
Threads
duhhhh, look up 2 posts from your original post. . . . .
I appreciate your rude "duhhhh", comment. So, buddy, "look up 2 posts from your original post. . . . ." and tell me where there is a cross reference chart. If you can't be positive or helpful, keep your comments to yourself.

Honest Abe

Threads
I appreciate your rude "duhhhh", comment. So, buddy, "look up 2 posts from your original post. . . . ." and tell me where there is a cross reference chart. If you can't be positive or helpful, keep your comments to yourself.

Oil filter cross reference

312 replacement oil filters for KOHLER 52 050 02. See cross reference chart for KOHLER 52 050 02 and more than 200.000 other oil filters.
***** www.oilfilter-crossreference.com *****

Hmmmm, I guess you missed THIS cross reference chart, duhhhh. If you can't read maybe you shouldn't post . . . . . .

Douglasdzaster

Threads
Go to NAPA and buy the same oil filter that it has now. NAPA has them so stop being picky. There, problem solved.
Napa quoted me $30 for a filter for that mower. Didn’t offer another Wix or any other options.

Douglasdzaster

Threads
You're overthinking this. Clean oil of proper weight, new whatever filter and make sure your air filter is clean. More important, don't push it too hard and overheat it when grass is wet or thick. A hand held infrared thermometer gun from Harbor Freight works great for monitoring the temp. Take breaks, let it cool in the shade for few and do a little weed whacking or have a beer.
I have an ir gun from Harbor Freight that I use to monitor my 1992 40hp Yamaha outboard.
What temperature do I look for on this Husqvarna 2654? I always make sure the intake and filter is clean. I replace all my air filters instead of cleaning. Way cheaper than a new engine.

Douglasdzaster

Threads
Man oh Man I haven’t been on here in a while and come back to ask another question about the mower and noticed this had grown to 9 pages. I appreciate y’all’s input but I didn’t mean to start a ruckus.
I think all of y’all are awesome.
I have a easy question that I’ll start another post on it has nothing to do with oil I promise.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Napa quoted me $30 for a filter for that mower. Didn’t offer another Wix or any other options.
Fit a B & S long ( or short if you like )
Stens sell them , made by Champion who are the OEM suppliers to most engine makers for about 1/3 the OE price
Heck , I charge my customers $ 20 ( Aus ) for a Stens filter and feel guilty about that
All mower engine filters are basically the same spec, apart from the metric ones , which are also similar enough to be interchanged except they have metric threads .
FWIW I keep only the Stens B & S long ( bought in manufacturers packs ) and the B & S short ( for when there is not enough space for a long to fit ) + 3 metric ones because there are 3 different hole sizes & threads
Buying mower parts from car shops often end up being more expensive than buying mower parts from mower parts companies .