kohler engine spewing liquid out of breather

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
It is not B&S its Kohler for that engine, and is out of the kohler manual.

You made me get Kohler service manual out to check it out and yes you are right. I didn't realize the Kohler also only had 4 head bolts like the B&S. Like I said never had a head off a Kohler command. My manual shows studs instead of bolts so did they come both ways?

Threads
In 95 out of 100 cases you have a blown head gasket. It will be blown in the area where push rods come up rockers causing engine compression to be sent into crankcase. You can remove dipstick while engine is running if oil is blown out it will verify this. A vacuum should be present when you remove dipstick

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There should be no vacuum in the crankcase. A properly operating breather should equalize the pressure in the crankcase.

Threads
I wonder why Kohler puts this in their engine service manual if the crankcase has no vacuum??

To test crankcase vacuum with vacuum/pressure gauge:
1. Remove dipstick or oil fi ll plug/cap.
2. Install adapter into oil fi ll//dipstick tube opening,
upside down over end of a small diameter dipstick
tube, or directly into engine if a tube is not used.
Insert barbed gauge fi tting into hole in stopper.
3. Run engine and observe gauge reading.
Analog tester墨eedle movement to left of 0 is a
vacuum, and movement to right indicates a pressure.
Digital tester謀epress test button on top of tester.
Crankcase vacuum should be a minimum of 10.2 cm
(4 in.) of water. If reading is below specifi cation, or if
pressure is present, check table below for possible
causes and conclusions

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
What you are testing is to see if the breather is operating properly. Think of it this way, when the piston is going up in the cylinder, the volume in the crankcase is getting larger and a small "vacuum" is created in the crankcase. Some outside air is drawn in to relieve this low pressure. When the piston is going down, the opposite occurs, and air is pushed out the breather. If the breather does not work properly, the following may occur. High oil consumption passed the valves or throughout the carb, blown gaskets, rough running engines. The breather must allow air flow in both directions freely, in controlled amounts.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yea this is not going to help me on my B&S engine. I have 8 head bolts and was told torque to 220"lbs.

I have installed a good many heads that I don't have the specs for. For torque settings you go by size of the bolt which you can find on a torque setting chart. The sequence you go side to side and work in a circle. I always start at a very low torque setting and retighten them till I get to the full torque.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yea this is not going to help me on my B&S engine. I have 8 head bolts and was told torque to 220"lbs.

I wasn't talking B&S, its for "Re: kohler engine spewing liquid out of breather" if you want the info on B&S engine, then you should start a new thread.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I wasn't talking B&S, its for "Re: kohler engine spewing liquid out of breather" if you want the info on B&S engine, then you should start a new thread.

I can understand the confusion. It started with a three wheel motorcycle with a Kohler engine in it. This is a mower forum not a motorcycle forum. Its the same engine but different because it doesn't have a governor in it. Now post 15 someone has a mower with a B&S in it with the same problem. Yes I agree they should of started there own thread but made a big misunderstanding what engine is being worked on. For some reason just because its a mower or motorcycle they don't understand there are a lot of different engines out there and they are all designed different.

newbe101

Threads
That's a lot of good information. The reason I replaced the carburetor is because the rebuild kit was more expansive then the new one I found on e-bay. I agree that to get down to the bottom of the problem I think I will need to take the heads of but first I will try using compressed air the cylinders. What am I looking for when I do this?

Thank you for all good information