kohler engine spewing liquid out of breather

DaveTN

Threads
I agree...doesn't sound like a carburetor / breather / filter problem. Something internal causing too much "blow by" from excess pressure in the crankcase and as one mechanic said earlier it's got to go someplace. Perhaps an Oil ring broken, too much gap in the rings, loose rings, ring stuck closed due to cruddy, nasty oil and deposits etc. I remember an old trick we used to do years ago on old cars that had a "draft tube" before they had the PCV valve. I'd put the thick steel wool or the stainless steel scrubbing pads pulled out thin and put down in the vent tube going back down to the crankcase. What it would do is condense the oil and funnel it back down into pan. It was I grant you only a temporary fix, but I've used it on several engines over the years. Just don't want to cram so much down in their to stop the flow. Just about 1/2 way down and loose fit should work. Worth a try and then go into the engine this winter when you have time. But like reynoldston says, no need to sugar coat it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Has this problem been taken care of. I have a sear craftsman mower 16hp and all of a sudden this started happening to mine. I pulled the air filter off and ran the machine and the oil starts off slow flowing from the breather tube into the air filter box, then it starts flowing like the Nile. Tons of white smoke and runs starts to studder like its going to stall. Could i just block off or pinch this breather tube.

You have a craftsman with what engine in it? The person that started the thread has a Kohler command. If you have a Kohler in your craftsman I am going to take a guess its a Kohler courage. Two different engines but the same problem and same type of repairs.

kybowmaker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Smell the oil,if it has gas smell neddle in carb is hanging with trash.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I suspect a blown head gasket, common problem with these engines.

pontiac69

Threads
Its a sears craftsman mower with a 16hp briggs motor. No smell of gas in the oil. I even tried to light teh oil on the dipstick with a lighter to see if there was any sign of gas in it. Nothing.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 5

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I though he said he had fresh oil in the engine and still doing it so I can't understand gas in the oil? Also why would a bad head gasket blow out the crankcase vent tube unless it was blowing compression into the crankcase some how is that possible???

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The head gasket usually blows out the thin strip between the piston and pushrod gallery, thus sending compression into the crankcase. Kohler sells
an updated bolt/gasket set.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The head gasket usually blows out the thin strip between the piston and pushrod gallery, thus sending compression into the crankcase. Kohler sells
an updated bolt/gasket set.

Number 15 post, Briggs but yes could be.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it is blowing out as much as he says, it may also be a combination of head gasket and bad rings. I still suspect the gasket. I have seen some blown so bad I don't know how they ran.