kohler engine spewing liquid out of breather

newbe101

Threads
Check the key switch because solenoid should remain on (live) when key is in the run position (ignition on) and turn off when you turn the key to the off position.

I agree and that's what I'm thinking. The wire for the carburetor solenoid on the key switch is the same wire as for the starter solenoid which splits up in the engine compartment going two different location, to the starter solenoid and the carburetor solenoid and that's with the factory harness.

My key switch has 6 contacts marked with letters on them which I think stands for:
B = battery
A = accessory
M = magneto
S = solenoid
G = ground
R = not used don't know what goes there but when key is turned to on (not start) it gets power just like accessory

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I agree and that's what I'm thinking. The wire for the carburetor solenoid on the key switch is the same wire as for the starter solenoid which splits up in the engine compartment going two different location, to the starter solenoid and the carburetor solenoid and that's with the factory harness.

My key switch has 6 contacts marked with letters on them which I think stands for:
B = battery
A = accessory
M = magneto
S = solenoid
G = ground
R = not used don't know what goes there but when key is turned to on (not start) it gets power just like accessory

You need to recheck the above

B=Battery
A=should be AC out from stator
M=Magneto (Armature) and After fire solenoid
S= if its black may go to the seat/clutch/brake switchers
G= Ground
R= (not sure) may go to Headlight harness

MowManMow

Threads
Friends Cub SV730 smoking so bad its choking him to death riding it he says. He's right choking me standing 10ft from it. I start it, then I book..lol.

Compression shows about 160 on both cyl.
I dont have a working leak down tester right now.
No gas in oil, level fine.
Pulled breather tube and smoke clears but its blowing oil out its tube bigtime. Reed is fine, all clean/clear.
Adjusted valves, were fine.
Breather tube fills up with oil in under 5 min run time.
??? Head gasket would still smoke right? Can a bad head gasket change its smoking when I unhook hose from breather box? It smokes way less when unhooked, its building internal pressure no doubt.

Idk Reliable?
I'll just say they sure aint the engines Kohler made its name with thats for da#n sure. K's & Mags ran problem free decade after decade after decade after decade & then some!
Mine are 40+ never been rebuilt to date, no sign of slowing, yet to burn oil between seasons. Most of these dont even do one decade without majors.
Just say'n..

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Friends Cub SV730 smoking so bad its choking him to death riding it he says. He's right choking me standing 10ft from it. I start it, then I book..lol.

Compression shows about 160 on both cyl.
I dont have a working leak down tester right now.
No gas in oil, level fine.
Pulled breather tube and smoke clears but its blowing oil out its tube bigtime. Reed is fine, all clean/clear.
Adjusted valves, were fine.
Breather tube fills up with oil in under 5 min run time.
??? Head gasket would still smoke right? Can a bad head gasket change its smoking when I unhook hose from breather box? It smokes way less when unhooked, its building internal pressure no doubt.

Idk Reliable?
I'll just say they sure aint the engines Kohler made its name with thats for da#n sure. K's & Mags ran problem free decade after decade after decade after decade & then some!
Mine are 40+ never been rebuilt to date, no sign of slowing, yet to burn oil between seasons. Most of these dont even do one decade without majors.
Just say'n..
The head gasket usually blows between the pushrod tube & the cylinder.
This pressurizes the crank case which causes excessive oil vapour to blow out the breather.

The usual reason for the head gasket to blow is a hydraulic lock caused by fuel leaking through the carb into the cylinder then blowing the weakest part ( the gasket ) because liquids do not compress particularly well .

So the lack of reliability comes from EPA regulations requiring the float bowl to vent INSIDE the engine so in place of you seeing fuel under the mower & smelling fuel when you walk into the shed, the fuel fills up the cylinder then dilutes the oil in the crankcase wich means a double oil change + new gaskets .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
It could be the crank case reed valve under the crank case breather that the breather tube hooks to. Had one on a vertical that it would run under no load all day. When you put a load on it, it would blow smoke like it was on fire.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It could be the crank case reed valve under the crank case breather that the breather tube hooks to. Had one on a vertical that it would run under no load all day. When you put a load on it, it would blow smoke like it was on fire.
Smoking under load is a tell tale sign of worn rings , First year apprentice stuff
Smokes under load = bad rings
Smokes on the over run = Bad guide seals

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
The head gasket usually blows between the pushrod tube & the cylinder.
This pressurizes the crank case which causes excessive oil vapour to blow out the breather.

The usual reason for the head gasket to blow is a hydraulic lock caused by fuel leaking through the carb into the cylinder then blowing the weakest part ( the gasket ) because liquids do not compress particularly well .

So the lack of reliability comes from EPA regulations requiring the float bowl to vent INSIDE the engine so in place of you seeing fuel under the mower & smelling fuel when you walk into the shed, the fuel fills up the cylinder then dilutes the oil in the crankcase wich means a double oil change + new gaskets .
The reason the Kohlers blew head gasket was they had a crappy head gasket with no fire ring on them took them over 20 years but they finally fixed it. The CV twins have two reed valves on top of the block under the heads in the push rod arear if they break it will do this. Kohlers don't blow between the cylinder and the push rods. They blow between the oil drain back hole and the cylinder or out side in the exhaust area due to warpage. If it blows out side the cylinder you can hear it whistle on start up or when you cut the engine off.

MowManMow

Threads
Thanks folks, Ill tear her down & see.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Smoking under load is a tell tale sign of worn rings , First year apprentice stuff
Smokes under load = bad rings
Smokes on the over run = Bad guide seals
I hate to burst your bubble when I went in replaced the broken reed it stopped smoking and using oil. This was a new engine and was still under warranty.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not first year apprentice stuff 45 year tech. stuff