kohler engine spewing liquid out of breather

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
The head will have to come off first for anyone of the repairs. That will sure tell the story. Not that bad of a job. I have found through the years of repairs if a head gasket blows out there has to be a reason for it??? I would want to know that before just replacing the head gasket.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Reason is a poor design by all manufactures. 1/4" wide strip of gasket between cylinder and valve chamber. No way to keep this area tight.

pontiac69

Threads
Is there an easy way to find out the torque specs on the head as well as anything else needed without buying a manual. I am mechanical and it shouldnt be hard, just want to know the torque specs and pattern. As well as anything else one can think of.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Reason is a poor design by all manufactures. 1/4" wide strip of gasket between cylinder and valve chamber. No way to keep this area tight.

Just what engine are we talking about? Or you are saying all engine are doing this because of poor design? We started with a Kohler command and then a Briggs?? Just odd its something I haven't ran a cross this yet but not say I wouldn't. You are saying just replace the gasket and its fixed. When and if I do run across a blown head gasket I will be checking it out with a flat edge. I had a newer Briggs with a blown head gasket but it wasn't into the push rod galley. That job the customer didn't want it fixed right so it just blow out the new gasket again after he use it a few times.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Usually the blown area is @ this area, very common problem on Briggs and Kohler.

Attachments

• BriggsHeadGasket.jpg
    BriggsHeadGasket.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 20

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Usually the blown area is @ this area, very common problem on Briggs and Kohler.

I can see the problem area. It looks like where the lifters are located. I have some customers and including myself with the Kohler Command engine but yet to have a head off one. Other then some oil leaks and coil problems its been a very trouble free engine. So now watch I will get a run on head gaskets.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have also seen it on a few Kaws, but not nearly as many times as Briggs and Kohler.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is there an easy way to find out the torque specs on the head as well as anything else needed without buying a manual. I am mechanical and it shouldnt be hard, just want to know the torque specs and pattern. As well as anything else one can think of.

This will help you out a little.

Attachments

• CYLINDER HEAD TORQUE SEQUENCE.bmp
    570 KB · Views: 23
  • TORQUE SETTINGS.bmp
    465 KB · Views: 22

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
This will help you out a little.

That looks like B&S to me. Thanks I will save it. The last B&S engine I put a head gasket in didn't last long but I also didn't have this information.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
That looks like B&S to me. Thanks I will save it. The last B&S engine I put a head gasket in didn't last long but I also didn't have this information.

It is not B&S its Kohler for that engine, and is out of the kohler manual.