Impressions: newGT48XLSi

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ken, found the WIX filter above in an auto store. Thanks

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Experts say an engine needs to see 200F + temp to drive out moisture /condensation. At 40F here and running about 20 minutes with light hauling the Intek would not rise past 168F. Idling will not change that. I guess this says repeated running like this is not good and relies entirely on oil additives to deal with trapped moisture which would seem to finally reach their limit , allowing corrosion and sludging to begin.This temp being read on a Depo electronic gauge. (Never happy , right? Usually too hot. Where are the 3 bears?)

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Snow and ice so tried the Husqy locking diff. It pushed right through 4" snow although it would not turn sharply at speed and plowed straight ahead , pushing the turned front wheels. Slowing down avoided this mostly. All this was on level ground. Then I started down a slight incline and began to spin. Turned back. Perhaps need chains and weights. I was expecting to get "beached" on snow under the deck, but that did not happen. A good first attempt, I think.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Experts say an engine needs to see 200F + temp to drive out moisture /condensation. At 40F here and running about 20 minutes with light hauling the Intek would not rise past 168F. Idling will not change that. I guess this says repeated running like this is not good and relies entirely on oil additives to deal with trapped moisture which would seem to finally reach their limit , allowing corrosion and sludging to begin.This temp being read on a Depo electronic gauge. (Never happy , right? Usually too hot. Where are the 3 bears?)

It is not a magic number, but a combination of heat & time.
We used to "dry" samples for assay at a variety of temperatures some very low to prevent vapourising parts of the sample.
Some times it might take a week till we got a constant weight if the temperature was very low.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Today 43F and put a moderate load on the Intek. The blacktop street was loaded with still frozen twigs and pine needles. Pulled a lawn aerator rake ( the kind with the spring wire teeth) on the blacktop, loosening the stuff and with the blades running to blow the road clean, slight hill. After one hour the max oil temp on the Depo gauge was 189F. So I guess it would take some snow blade work with this setup to reach target 200F+ in winter temps? Anyone try a circular restrictor on the fan intake? (Would not recommend this without a gauge)

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Today 49F, same task as above. Oil temp reached 198F pulling the little rake and "blowing" with the blades on. Then on level , about 6 blocks round trip to mail box, oil temp 187F, so the "work" contributed 11 degrees F to oil temp. I think this (heavier) machine uses more gas than Craftsman dyt4000, same engine, but have not measured ....and...can the 6 degree hotter ambient air through the intake raise oil temp 9 degrees F???

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Late cold/wet spring here, Just finished spreading 1000 lb of granular lime with a Brinley spreader which is ground driven with 11 star wheels, 40-50lb bags per shot. Ambient 50F. Intek registered max 185F on oil temp gauge. First half way "work" this season. The Intek has developed an intermittent hesitation to start after shutdown while hot. Requires two or three pushes of "smart starter" button. Sensation is low or empty fuel bowl, or ? balky? gas shutoff solenoid. Not a major problem, but a glitch. The previously mentioned "jamming" on starter application is still occasional. This thing uses more gas than my "ultra light" DYT 4000 so I find myself shutting down while e.g., I load the next bag of lime in order to save some gas. Interesting to me that the "load" of the relatively light "rake" used to clear the roadway (above in thread) produces the same oil temp as the Brinley which is digging in and a much greater load. Hmmmm? Hope y'all are having a good mowing season.

ken_clifton

Threads
Requires two or three pushes of "smart starter" button. Sensation is low or empty fuel bowl, or ? balky? gas shutoff solenoid.

Hi Motoman,

Sounds like the o-rings in the bottom of that Intek carb might be starting to go. I guess that I can't complain -- mine lasted 8 years. They sit in fuel all the time and eventually start releasing pieces of rubber that clog the jets. The symptoms are exactly what you describe. I thought it was the fuel pump for the longest time.

Regarding oil temps, my SCAG Tiger Cub's oil temp was running about 220 in February when I had to mow. The ambient temps were about 60 degrees. Higher throttle settings directly relate to higher oil temps for me. I know there is a lot of talk in these forums about running the mowers wide-open. I don't do that. It would be interesting to see if the CHT tracks the oil temps...

Best,
Ken C.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi Ken, Thanks. Hate to think o rings since this thing only has about 80 hours. I have been running the rig wide open. It does pull the Brinley without a whimper. Winter is hanging on here like today 42F. The colombia river is at record high and they are looking at the levees. Something we don't normally hear out here. For a good laugh to Midwesterners and also you (I guess) the local news is covering a "tornado" here yesterday , category "0" on the scale. I guess we're wannabes. Ha Ha. Regards motoman

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
BTW after much reluctance I bought a Predator pressure washer with the cloned Honda motor. I know,,,,, I know.....but the thing was on sale and the cashier found me another coupon so I bought the 2 yr warranty ($80). This thing will either grenade or last. Who knows. I know there is a lot of controversy on this engine. In the current Harbor Freight ads the bare engine is selling for $99. This engine is offered in HF generators and the buzz on a "generator site " is really mixed. A lot of failures are related to bad maintenance (what's new). The engine has a low oil warning switch. There is a 90 day return period. Someone tell me if this subject would make a good separate thread. Armor is in place. :laughing:

Last edited: