Impressions: newGT48XLSi

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ken, Thanks, If that is the culprit a lot of work for a simple fix-ha ha. From new I did have problems with dirty intake throat and could not figure it out. At about year two I finally found that the 90 degree rubber connection had not been seated by the factory at the bottom of its annular groove in the intake hole (could not see it from above).. That had let the Intek suck dirt while I carefully cleaned and changed the air cleaner above. I just read on another site that Briggs actually replaced engines due to this problem. How mine survived is a mystery.

As noted the engine runs ok now but surges like governor is working even in constant state. I will look at the springs.

Something I found I did not mention previously. While cleaning the head I noticed one edge of the casting had a shiny mark. I intended to "clearance" it before assembly, but forgot. After I found the spark module rotated .010" beyond spec at the right side I guess it was a contact point with the head? Vibration?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Needing to "lay in " some filters for the new machine some trivia from online and strolling H Depot and Lowes. The air cleaner spec'd on the Husky hood, 591334 is apparently superseded by 594201 , both without foam wrap. Came across pn 5428K which appears the same , but with foam wrap. On a hook at HDepot was item of interest, a John Deere air cleaner about an inch longer with foam, GY21055, but pricey. Not sure about the spigot fit. Might try it.

The small oil filter did not appear in the big box stores (or I missed it) pn 795137 (?possibly 696854)

The breather part for the dyt 4000 Intek mentioned earlier is 792185. Could not find the rubber goose neck available separate. Online.

ken_clifton

Threads
The breather part for the dyt 4000 Intek mentioned earlier is 792185. Could not find the rubber goose neck available separate. Online.

Motoman,
I believe just the hose is B/S part number 792184 now.
Amazon shows the rubbler hose p/n 792184 as available, albeit for around $11.00, which sounds steep to me.

They have the entire PCV/Breather with the hose and gasket 792185 for around $18.00 -- I am sure it is cheaper elsewhere.

These rubber items sure do not hold up well on the Briggs. My Intek used to have a rubber hose from the valve cover to the fuel pump -- the pulse line. I could only go about 1 year, and sometimes not even that before those hoses would split, and they were not cheap either. I finally just ordered some of the Vanguard cast aluminium valve covers (very inexpensive by the way) and drilled and pipe-tapped the one on that side with a 90 degree barb fitting. Now I use standard 1/4 inch fuel line there. It has never split.

Best,
ken_clifton

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ken, I will look for the pn you suggested for the hose. Odd your experience with the little fuel pump hose as mine has lasted 12 years. Sounds like yours was not the fuel/oil proof stuff, perhaps just black vacuum line, or Chinese copy? BTW looks like Jacks is the way to go for the whole breather assy with tube for $12 plus ship- a picture pops up either there or partstree. I see two fuel filters on one of your pics (??). thanks

ken_clifton

Threads
I see two fuel filters on one of your pics (??). thanks

Ah, yes, the two fuel filters... Here is the story behind that:
The first filter is really just a screen -- notice it is red in color. It is a WIX strainer filter for diesel engines -- around 150 microns. That is installed prior to the fuel pump. This is because if you put too fine of a filter between a gravity fed fuel tank and the pump it can cause issues. On the SCAG the fuel tank is only about 3-4 inches above the filter and the fuel liine is about 3 feet long. Putting a fine filter like the normal 25 micron Briggs is just asking for trouble in hot weather especially.

The second filter is a fine 12 micron (if memory serves) located between the fuel pump and the carburetor. At this point in the system the fuel pump is "pushing/pumping" the fuel, so it has sufficient force to overcome the restriction caused by the fine fuel filter.

This is the normal setup for most racing -- a strainer or screen prior to the fuel pump and then a fine fuel filter between the pump and the carburetor. This has worked well for me for many years. I seldom if ever change the strainer, only the fine 12 micron filter.

ken_clifton

ken_clifton

Threads
Ken, I will look for the pn you suggested for the hose. Odd your experience with the little fuel pump hose as mine has lasted 12 years. Sounds like yours was not the fuel/oil proof stuff, perhaps just black vacuum line, or Chinese copy?

The different series of Inteks use different pulse hoses to the fuel pump. Some have a straight up hose from the valve cover to the pump. Others have hoses with a sharp 90 degree bend. Mine had the sharp 90 degree bend, it is Briggs & Stratton p/n 793147 Vacuum Hose (click for photo at Amazon). They all appear to be made in China. I got one from Jacks, another two from Morrison Outdoor Power, and one from Amazon. None of them held up for very long.

I would have to get out a magnifying glass to see the crack but they all did it. A couple of times when I didn't have one on hand, I would use some silicone rtv to patch the crack.. I am just glad I don't have to mess with that trash any longer. The cast aluminum O.E. Briggs valve covers from their "Vanguard" Intek look alike are real good, but the boxes said made in China too. I believe they were $11 each. I like them much better than the stamped steel covers -- which I think actually cost more ?

ken_clifton

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I did notice the boxes and they are very dressy. Thanks for the explanation on the two fuel filters.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Early on I thought the 44N ...engine (Endurance) might be a little different. Saw an old blog stating the fan is bigger, but I measured the top as the same. The JDeere filter MIU 11513 may be for a 21 hp Briggs single. Seems to have the same 1-1/2" ID and is 1 inch longer. Looks like the Husky (Intek) cover would require relief to accept that length. It was stated the oil filter crosses to Fram PH 3656 or PH 8170. I have had some problem with a Fram filter thread on an auto application recently. The lead thread defective and would not start.

ken_clifton

Threads
Hi Motoman,

Not to sound bad, but I have never liked Fram filters. If you ever cut one open you will see the cardboard end caps. Folks get into real long discussions about all this, but just give me some metal end caps and decent media. Personally I will never use Fram.

From the WIX filter reference, here are the specs on the original yellow (long life) Briggs oil filter:
OE Briggs OIL FILTER
Part Number: 696854

SPECS
Equipment Type Lawn Mower
Equipment Type Walk Behind Mower
Equipment Type Commercial Mower
Height 2 1/4"
Micron 28
OD 3"
7-9 PSI pressure relief
Anti-drain
Thread Size 3/4" -16

---------------------------------------
I used to run a WIX 51348 or NAPA 1348 filter. It is a little bit longer filter with more media, same thread size and 20 micron filtration.

Best,
ken_clifton

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ken, Thanks for the tips again. Others also dislike FRAM. I will look at WIX and NAPA.