Ignition coil

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Got some different coils today same part number but the ones that came today are a perfect fit. So if this does not fix it the spark module will be next đź‘Ť
Hopefully the new ignition modules take care of it but just FYI, you'll have to find either a used one or someone with old stock as that 24 584 09-S spark advance module has been NLA for 5 years or so. The current fix is a conversion kit that includes a new flywheel and two new ignition modules designed to work with the timing difference of the new flywheel versus what is on your engine now. If needed the part number for that kit is 24 755 308-S and is about $30 more that two new Kohler branded 24 584 36-S modules.

stevieb50

Threads
Hopefully the new ignition modules take care of it but just FYI, you'll have to find either a used one or someone with old stock as that 24 584 09-S spark advance module has been NLA for 5 years or so. The current fix is a conversion kit that includes a new flywheel and two new ignition modules designed to work with the timing difference of the new flywheel versus what is on your engine now. If needed the part number for that kit is 24 755 308-S and is about $30 more that two new Kohler branded 24 584 36-S modules.
Yeah I'm not having any luck finding that it's spark advanced module. So just my luck I find a lawn mower and it's between years so parts are hard to get. So it's looking more like this thing's going to just be junk versus a new lawn mower for me this spring.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
If those new modules don't fix anything you still don't know what is wrong with it so don't give up just yet. It could turn out to be something minor. I need to clarify something I mentioned earlier about your symptoms sounding like it could be the Spark Advance Module or SAM. While not impossible for a bad SAM to cause issues like you described it would not be the normal type of failure. Often with a bad SAM the engine will either simply not start or run with lack of power.

Can you notice any signs of the engine ever being run hot?

stevieb50

Threads
Don’t know much about it. I just bought it. Thinking it was a simple fix. it will idle ok and then when you give it a little gas it’s starts to backfire literally flame shooting out the carb through the air cleaner

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Don’t know much about it. I just bought it. Thinking it was a simple fix. it will idle ok and then when you give it a little gas it’s starts to backfire literally flame shooting out the carb through the air cleaner
If you don't have it all back together yet, pull the flywheel and check the flywheel key. The best way to get the flywheel off is to use a harmonic balancer puller. If you have an O'Reilly's Auto Parts, Autozone or similar auto parts store near, you can possibly borrow one with a refundable deposit.

MartinR

Forum Newbie
Threads
The important part of the coil is on the open end - if it fits up to the flywheel that's all you need really - does the length stop the cover from fitting up? Wouldn't recommend grinding on the coil , might change up the cover if it's touching off .
My thoughts are, no, that's not a small amount and you won't have enough meat on the metal left. They are obviously not the correct ones, take them back with the old ones as pattern.

grumpyunk

Threads
QUOTE:"it will idle ok and then when you give it a little gas it’s starts to backfire literally flame shooting out the carb through the air cleaner"

Could be a weak intake valve spring not closing at higher rpms. Could be a sticking valve doing the same. You could remove the valve cover and depress the valve to gauge the spring tension and compare to the exhaust or the other cylinder. Sometimes a lean mixture will cause a backfire, though I have not reasoned that one out to give an explanation.
tom

12icer

Threads
Did the problem start suddenly or has it progressed?

Could be leanout, timing off from shear key being parially broken, Ground out of wire, bad switch, bad module or grounding back to battery, maybe some more, but those are the main ones I look for.

Hard to trace but just bypass the involved parts you can and pull the bypasses one at a time to eliminate them.