Ignition coil

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Drop them into a photo editing app on a computer
use the resize function to make the image 12" along the longest edge
Set the resolution to 72 DPI & format to JPG
Then save the image with a new name
Those images will display up to full screen on a 32" screen and still retain detail
Phones cheat with the way they store image data which makes the file appear to be over 100 times as big as it actually is
The WWW sees only JPEG, TIFF & PDF formats
People are idiots and get impressed with big numbers
I used to work with professional photographers when the transition to digital came in
They would crap on about how fabulous their high resolution cameras were and how much more detail they captured
However in those days Photoshop was only 8 bit so the photographers would get me to take massive hard drives full of the photos they took for retouching
The trade houses would convert the large 16 bit , huge 32 bit and massive 64 bit files back to 8 bit to do the retouching then output back to whatever the original file was.
To do that the soft wear simply added pixels to take the place of all of the one it tossed out in the first place

So camera & phone companies brag endlessly about their 24 Mp 36 Mp 72 Mp cameras when 99% of that can neither be seen without a microscope or printed on any machine ever made and in most cases is BS that the device invents after the CCD has sent the file to storeage .

stevieb50

Threads
Like Star mentioned, are those genuine Kohler parts? Kohler has been using the 24 584 36-S since 2003 and while they are physically larger than what they replace, I've never known of them not fitting. I assume they are hitting the intake manifold? Can't grind on that.
Yes they are hitting on the intake manifold and I only need a couple millimeters the other side is fine so that's why I was asking if I just could grind down I guess the cooling fins on the coil a couple millimeters on that back corner

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Yes they are hitting on the intake manifold and I only need a couple millimeters the other side is fine so that's why I was asking if I just could grind down I guess the cooling fins on the coil a couple millimeters on that back corner
This was a known issue to Kohler and goes back to 1999 when they changed to the larger module. It only affected a small number of engines at the time so Kohler never offered a bulletin about it. Not many engines had a heavy duty canister air filter back then so I was thinking maybe that is what you had and it probably used a different manifold. From the parts breakdown your engine built in 1998 had what Kohler calls the Wide Area Walk Behind or WAWB filter system on it. I remember the issue but don't remember the solution.

The long and short of it is you have the correct part. The question now, at least in my opinion, is how did Kohler suggest you make it fit? Before I reached out to someone to try and find that answer I wanted to know exactly what you had so I could speak intelligently. With you posting your ID tag I now have that info. Let me send a text and see if this guy's memory is better than mine. I will let you know what I find out.

stevieb50

Threads
This was a known issue to Kohler and goes back to 1999 when they changed to the larger module. It only affected a small number of engines at the time so Kohler never offered a bulletin about it. Not many engines had a heavy duty canister air filter back then so I was thinking maybe that is what you had and it probably used a different manifold. From the parts breakdown your engine built in 1998 had what Kohler calls the Wide Area Walk Behind or WAWB filter system on it. I remember the issue but don't remember the solution.

The long and short of it is you have the correct part. The question now, at least in my opinion, is how did Kohler suggest you make it fit? Before I reached out to someone to try and find that answer I wanted to know exactly what you had so I could speak intelligently. With you posting your ID tag I now have that info. Let me send a text and see if this guy's memory is better than mine. I will let you know what I find out.
So I should make my ID tag private? And I am new to this site even though I've joined many years ago I had just bought this riding lawn mower and I noticed it had a Miss fire literally shooting flames out the carburetor. So with everything I read the coils were the best thing to start with now I'm being told once again they are the right part but do not fix because of this year change in engines all I need to know if I can grind down a few millimeters on that back side of the coil where it would be hitting the intake manifold/ the silver u-shaped around the coil is only the cooling fins correct. And feel free to text me if you have my cell phone number through that ID tag thing that I'll have to check on

VegetiveSteam

Threads
So I should make my ID tag private? And I am new to this site even though I've joined many years ago I had just bought this riding lawn mower and I noticed it had a Miss fire literally shooting flames out the carburetor. So with everything I read the coils were the best thing to start with now I'm being told once again they are the right part but do not fix because of this year change in engines all I need to know if I can grind down a few millimeters on that back side of the coil where it would be hitting the intake manifold/ the silver u-shaped around the coil is only the cooling fins correct. And feel free to text me if you have my cell phone number through that ID tag thing that I'll have to check on
I meant the engine ID tag. It has nothing to do with any of your personal info.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
I had just bought this riding lawn mower and I noticed it had a Miss fire literally shooting flames out the carburetor.
This sounds more like a timing issue which would more point to the Spark Advance Module than the ignition modules. Or even a flywheel key.

stevieb50

Threads
This sounds more like a timing issue which would more point to the Spark Advance Module than the ignition modules. Or even a flywheel key.
Got some different coils today same part number but the ones that came today are a perfect fit. So if this does not fix it the spark module will be next 👍