Ignition coil

stevieb50

Threads
I have a Kohler 24 HP Vtwin riding lawnmower with a CV25S motor I bought new ignition coils for it and was told they are the correct ones but they do not fit they are a little bigger I was wondering if I could grind down a little part of the back of the ignition coil for it to fit. IMG_20230813_165057224~2.jpg

Bertrrr

Threads
The important part of the coil is on the open end - if it fits up to the flywheel that's all you need really - does the length stop the cover from fitting up? Wouldn't recommend grinding on the coil , might change up the cover if it's touching off .

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Post model, spec and serial no, of your engine and the part no. you got.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
One thing that coil does not appears to be genuine Kohler coil. This how Kohler marks their coils. Also the positioning the electrical terminals.
1692013257512.png
Second if the engine's cylinder cooling fins are inferring with the fit of the 2-1/16 coil frames then you grind them down until have the needed clearance. Don't grind on the coils. Some of the very early coils [25 584 03-s and 25 584 11-S] were only 1-11/16 front to back. If you old coil was 25 584 15-S it was superseded to 25 584 36-S as were 03-S and 11-S.

BTW the 24 584 36-S coil current lists for $89.41 ea.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Like Star mentioned, are those genuine Kohler parts? Kohler has been using the 24 584 36-S since 2003 and while they are physically larger than what they replace, I've never known of them not fitting. I assume they are hitting the intake manifold? Can't grind on that.

stevieb50

Threads
The important part of the coil is on the open end - if it fits up to the flywheel that's all you need really - does the length stop the cover from fitting up? Wouldn't recommend grinding on the coil , might change up the cover if it's touching off .
As you can see in the picture the depth Bigger so the backside of the coil is the exhaust manifold

stevieb50

Threads
Like Star mentioned, are those genuine Kohler parts? Kohler has been using the 24 584 36-S since 2003 and while they are physically larger than what they replace, I've never known of them not fitting. I assume they are hitting the intake manifold? Can't grind on that.
Yes they are hitting the intake manifold actually the exhaust

stevieb50

Threads
Our local Kohler dealer wanted $100 for one coil versus two of them for 36 bucks on Amazon yes they are a bit bigger therefore it’s hitting I believe the exhaust manifold pipe but also
The length is making it hit the exhaust manifold even though the part is supposedly correct and I’ve called all around it’s definitely bigger than the original. The left side fits fine but the right side the back corner which is circled in the picture rubs up against the exhaust manifold or intake manifold I’m not sure which one I just need to know if I could grind a little bit of that park that circled in the picture to make it fit it wouldn’t be much probably a couple millimeters

stevieb50

Threads
Why does it keep saying upload file is too large it’s a simple picture that cropped to the smallest and I can add a picture

stevieb50

Threads
It’s not the cover it’s hitting it’s the exhaust or intake manifold pipe I wouldn’t be grinding the front part that touches the flywheel it would just be the back corner a couple millimeters grind it off to fit from stop hitting the manifold pipe