Ignition coil

TobyU

Threads
I see you got some coils that fit. It's pouring not the coils anyway but can be SAM but still unlikely.

Also prob not the flywheel key as kohlers use a steel one and not soft aluminum like Briggs. It will prob be fine.

Popping out intake is typically a valve or valvetrain issue and can also be camshaft or compression relief on cam. The ACR giant usually stick and keep valve open but rather fails to work at all and makes engine hard to turn over but this is more of a Briggs problem.

You prob are barely running on both cylinders.

I would get it running and with thick glove and towell or well insulated pliers....pull one plug wire off to see if it runs on the other cyl and then try the other.
My guess is one side has a intake valve stuck open or popped valve seat and it's not noticeable until you get the rpms up and then it's popping through the carb.

Johner

Threads
I have a Kohler 24 HP Vtwin riding lawnmower with a CV25S motor I bought new ignition coils for it and was told they are the correct ones but they do not fit they are a little bigger I was wondering if I could grind down a little part of the back of the ignition coil for it to fit. View attachment 66300
Looks like it should fit, are you grinding the side off a little? Right corner?

stevieb50

Threads
Looks like it should fit, are you grinding the side off a little? Right corner?
I ended up getting a different coil mind you it was the exact same part number but it was the right fit this time

TobyU

Threads
I ended up getting a different coil mind you it was the exact same part number but it was the right fit this time
I'm seeing a lot of these problems recently.
I am certainly a fan of the cheaper priced stuff from the aftermarket manufacturers coming from eBay and Amazon even if they are lower quality because my main experience is that when you're replacing a 15 or 20 year old coil on a Kohler or Briggs etc even if you buy the brand name one today, it will not last the 15 or 20 years the original one did!
So for most things there's very little point in spending top dollar for a brand name one if a cheaper functioning one is available.

BUT THE PROBLEM I'm running into is they seem to be unable to actually duplicate the same parts recently!
Why is this now a problem because they've been doing fine for years?

I received four cables the other day all the same shipment.
Three of these were aftermarket and one was an MTD.
They all have the exact correct part numbers in the listings and we're assured to fit and replace the numbers I was replacing.
The ONLY one that fit was the MTD.
All three of the other ones were not correct.
I was able to use one as it was just 11 inches too long so it was aggravating but it got the job done.
The other two were too short so there was no way to make them work.

This coil situation - I was buying aftermarket Kohler coils five or six years ago if not a little longer and they were fitting perfectly.
I need to put a little bit more effort into making these things fit especially when we're talking about a zone control cable or a traction cable on a walk behind mower that all it really takes is a tape measure.

They don't have to be exactly perfect.
A millimeter here or there wouldn't matter in most cases and in many cases within a quarter inch would be just fine.
You can hold them up next to each other and eyeball it and mark it with your thumb and get it to work just fine.
Apparently they aren't even doing this!!

It's just another word of life's conspiracies.

They actually win either way.
Most of the time, on things like this even when they have return policy, the vast majority do not get sent back and only a few get credited for the full amount.
Often they will offer you a full refund but you have to ship it back to them which cost you more money to send and you're only getting part of your money back.
Because of this a lot just get laid to the side and never get returned.
So it doesn't matter in this case if it fits or not or if you're happy or not because they still got their money.
There is really no reputation etc to worry about because hardly anyone pays any attention or knows who they're actually buying these parts from they just grab one on eBay or Amazon.

I HATE to be one of the people that only buys brand name parts and pays more for them but if the cheap ones floating around all over the internet can't get their act together that's what I'll have to do just to lower my inconvenience level.

stevieb50

Threads
I'm seeing a lot of these problems recently.
I am certainly a fan of the cheaper priced stuff from the aftermarket manufacturers coming from eBay and Amazon even if they are lower quality because my main experience is that when you're replacing a 15 or 20 year old coil on a Kohler or Briggs etc even if you buy the brand name one today, it will not last the 15 or 20 years the original one did!
So for most things there's very little point in spending top dollar for a brand name one if a cheaper functioning one is available.

BUT THE PROBLEM I'm running into is they seem to be unable to actually duplicate the same parts recently!
Why is this now a problem because they've been doing fine for years?

I received four cables the other day all the same shipment.
Three of these were aftermarket and one was an MTD.
They all have the exact correct part numbers in the listings and we're assured to fit and replace the numbers I was replacing.
The ONLY one that fit was the MTD.
All three of the other ones were not correct.
I was able to use one as it was just 11 inches too long so it was aggravating but it got the job done.
The other two were too short so there was no way to make them work.

This coil situation - I was buying aftermarket Kohler coils five or six years ago if not a little longer and they were fitting perfectly.
I need to put a little bit more effort into making these things fit especially when we're talking about a zone control cable or a traction cable on a walk behind mower that all it really takes is a tape measure.

They don't have to be exactly perfect.
A millimeter here or there wouldn't matter in most cases and in many cases within a quarter inch would be just fine.
You can hold them up next to each other and eyeball it and mark it with your thumb and get it to work just fine.
Apparently they aren't even doing this!!

It's just another word of life's conspiracies.

They actually win either way.
Most of the time, on things like this even when they have return policy, the vast majority do not get sent back and only a few get credited for the full amount.
Often they will offer you a full refund but you have to ship it back to them which cost you more money to send and you're only getting part of your money back.
Because of this a lot just get laid to the side and never get returned.
So it doesn't matter in this case if it fits or not or if you're happy or not because they still got their money.
There is really no reputation etc to worry about because hardly anyone pays any attention or knows who they're actually buying these parts from they just grab one on eBay or Amazon.

I HATE to be one of the people that only buys brand name parts and pays more for them but if the cheap ones floating around all over the internet can't get their act together that's what I'll have to do just to lower my inconvenience level.
I bought them at Amazon but sent them back and got a different brand same exact part number and everything and they came and ate the perfect fit now. Unfortunately it's still backfires

stevieb50

Threads
I bought them at Amazon but sent them back and got a different brand same exact part number and everything and they came and ate the perfect fit now. Unfortunately it's still backfires
Are perfect fit

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Sorry if you already mentioned this but did you pull the flywheel and check the flywheel key?

VegetiveSteam

Threads
Yes it was good
I was afraid you were going to say that. Have you had this equipment since new? If so, can you give a little history on this engine? When did it last run right and has there been any work done between when it last ran right and when it started not running right? Do you know if the engine has ever been overheated?

stevieb50

Threads
I was afraid you were going to say that. Have you had this equipment since new? If so, can you give a little history on this engine? When did it last run right and has there been any work done between when it last ran right and when it started not running right? Do you know if the engine has ever been overheated?
I have no history on it just bought it.