For those interested in Alternative Fuels

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Propane shortage in the upper Midwest. Folks are being forced to let their houses freeze because propane is unobtanium. The company I get my propane from is allotted 1 semi-load of propane/week to keep several thousand households supplied.

Wood heat Its takes some work but there is no shortage of heat. I can keep my house in the high 70's to low 80,s degrees all winter long. No running out of fuel because all I have to do is cut down another tree seeing I have 5 acres of woods in my back yard. I have neighbors that heat with propane that can't afford to keep their house warm so they keep their house in the low 60's.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
We have natural gas keep my house at 70 its only like 100 a month

Propane around the corner is $4.50 a gallon petrol is 3.80

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
Propane shortage in the upper Midwest. Folks are being forced to let their houses freeze because propane is unobtanium. The company I get my propane from is allotted 1 semi-load of propane/week to keep several thousand households supplied.

A transport is only 10,000 gallons. Is he a small independent? Been there done that, it's tough. There IS a bit of "profit-taking" going on though.

If you want to know what folks are paying around you go here:

This Week In Petroleum Propane Section

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

If I could heat my house for 100 dollars a month with a gas furnace I would be going for it. I buy my fire wood and I would say it cost 100 dollars a month plus a wood fire is work. I can't get natural gas where I live and propane would be like 100 dollars a week to heat with.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
If I could heat my house for 100 dollars a month with a gas furnace I would be going for it. I buy my fire wood and I would say it cost 100 dollars a month plus a wood fire is work. I can't get natural gas where I live and propane would be like 100 dollars a week to heat with.

I should add my water heater is also on that same gas bill so hot water and heat for 100 a month we only have a 950sqft house to heat tho well insulated and vinal Windows

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I should add my water heater is also on that same gas bill so hot water and heat for 100 a month we only have a 950sqft house to heat tho well insulated and vinal Windows

Yes that sure explains things a little different. I am heating 1290 sqft with not so great insulation and old windows.

Terry CleanFuel

Threads

My furnace, fireplace, water heater, hot tub, deck heater and BBQ all Natural Gas. Hard to beat it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The entire state of Wisconsin has a propane shortage. If you can get anyone to come out they will only fill 50%. Cost is $6.00+ if you can get them to come out. People are ending up with cold homes, frozen pipes, everything you can think of with this cold weather. Haven't been above freezing since the first of the year. It's so bad that I just saw on the TV last night that there is now a fire wood shortage, as more people are now heating with wood because they can not get propane. Getting a different supplier won't help in this case. You may not have a supply problem Idaho or Nevada, but like everything else supply and demand rules. Here in the Midwest covertly doesn't make sense. PS: Filled 3 tanks for our forklifts cost $125, but you have to do it.

buzzzmeister

Threads
The entire state of Wisconsin has a propane shortage. If you can get anyone to come out they will only fill 50%. Cost is $6.00+ if you can get them to come out. People are ending up with cold homes, frozen pipes, everything you can think of with this cold weather. Haven't been above freezing since the first of the year. It's so bad that I just saw on the TV last night that there is now a fire wood shortage, as more people are now heating with wood because they can not get propane. Getting a different supplier won't help in this case. You may not have a supply problem Idaho or Nevada, but like everything else supply and demand rules. Here in the Midwest covertly doesn't make sense. PS: Filled 3 tanks for our forklifts cost $125, but you have to do it.

I have a neighbor that has a pellet stove business and arbitrarily tripled the prices of his stoves the first of the month. And is still selling stoves like nuts.

I'm obviously in the wrong business. Then again I get to burn 1200 gal/hr of natural gas in my job to cook corn so all is good. :laughing:

Terry CleanFuel

Threads

I'm sure that transportation difficulties have added to the shortages. Looking at the National inventories, yes, inventories are down but not the worst I've seen.

Hang in there and take a good look next summer!