For those interested in Alternative Fuels

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Not really, converting a small engine to propane costs @ $150, and if the propane was needed for spring-fall, the savings would be significant. Most of the backlash here
involves the high cost of propane in Northern climates in a real bad winter....

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
The following are engine oil suppliers that offer oils formulated for CNG, LNG, and propane powered engines.

Valvoline Premium Blueョ GEO Engine Oil, Mobil GEO 15W-40, AMSOIL Synthetic Vehicular Mobile Natural Gas Engine Oil SAE 15w40, Shell Rotella T3 NG 15W-40, etc.

While these oils are for heavy duty applications they are required because CNG, LNG, and propane create more ash during the combustion process. There is a long list of oil manufactures and explanations available on the internet as to why CNG, LNG, and propane engines require a low ash oil. Westport Engineering and other engine manufacturers offering CNG, LNG, and propane powered engines may offer more technical information about this issue.

Regards,

HotRod1

Good to know. I have no idea what creates this "ash" though.

I DO know that when rebuilding our truck engines we used Bonami and 20w oil to seat the rings because propane burned so clean they wouldn't seat.

I'll ask Todd Mouw next time I see him. This intrigues me.

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
Well at this point we are talking in circles. Lots of good info here but its getting past that.

I apologize for that.

There is a lot of good info out there. Charles House has a great site allpropanemowers.com. Don't visit just to ridicule though...