For those interested in Alternative Fuels

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
That's fine and you'd be doing the right thing and I thank you for it!

Just be sure you get correct information when that time comes around.

Can you pm me your contact info ill write it down and keep it when the day comes :)

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
Kodie this happens every year. I don't know of anybody mowing now do you?

Many year-round landscaping companies push snow in the winter. Some still use the propane on their quads with blades for sidewalks.

Propane is not for everybody. Especially for those who mow during the winter months, like the Southern states. Usually anyway.

By the way, if you can still find this "good old gasoline" I'd buy a bunch of it...:thumbsup:

Good point but good old gasoline with non of this added crap that messes up carbs an motors there is still 2 gas stations that sell it an it only 4 cent more on the dollar so idk why it even in any of it

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
LOL! A customer and I were discussing that same thing this morning!

I barbecue quite a bit and use maybe, what, twenty gallons per year? A typical commercial walkbehind cutting eight hours per day five day per week for 42 weeks will use 1680 gallons. Propane companies know this (I do). Trust me here, I helped build the program. They are quite happy to supply either a bulk dispenser or a cylinder rack along with the cylinders.

If you guys want to play with my program feel free to visit here. You can put-in your own numbers:

Clean Fuel LPG Propane Conversions, Eco-friendly

Have fun with it!!

By the way, you kinda get ripped-off with the cylinder exchange. You pay a premium for a new 20# cylinder and then when you exchange you could get a 1965 refurb. That and they short you 1/3 gallon each visit. You wind up paying about $4.00 per gallon. Convenience has a price...

Back a lot of years back you could have a propane grill tanks refilled. Even at one time they would fill my small grill tanks when I had gas delivered to my house. No more filling stations and they wouldn't fill my grill tanks off the delivery truck anymore. The cylinder exchange is anyone's choice around here. Now I don't what they will do with a commercial account? If you were to run a truck with propane I wouldn't know where you would even buy fuel to run it in this part of NY?? You can buy gasoline 24/7 and no shortage . Just why do you also figure less maintenance with a propane engine, I have seen commercial diesel engines get over a million miles and they sure aren't clean running.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Neighbor has propane for their kitchen stove, they had a propane fueled generator installed and increased the propane storage tank size. For some reason, the carb on the generator would get crudded up inside and not run. The generator service company came by many times and finally got it to run correctly, but it took a couple years to get it right.
If I get a new generator it will be a diesel and I will run a fuel line to it from my heating oil tank.
My 1978 Peterbilt 378 with a 425 Cat ran 1.2 million miles before an out of frame overhaul had to be done. My drivers used Lucas and Power Service fuel and oil additives along with Shell Rotella 15W-40 engine oil. I bought the additives and engine oil by the pallet load and made sure that there was enough in the storage locker under the sleeper cab so they didn't run out. Most miles in one year was 189,000, two full time drivers plus me sometimes. They preferred to not have me with them, but I wrote the paychecks and paid the bills!!! They were happy when I got tired of seeing mile markers!!!
Mad Mackie in CT:laughing::biggrin::smile:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Neighbor has propane for their kitchen stove, they had a propane fueled generator installed and increased the propane storage tank size. For some reason, the carb on the generator would get crudded up inside and not run. The generator service company came by many times and finally got it to run correctly, but it took a couple years to get it right.
If I get a new generator it will be a diesel and I will run a fuel line to it from my heating oil tank.
My 1978 Peterbilt 378 with a 425 Cat ran 1.2 million miles before an out of frame overhaul had to be done. My drivers used Lucas and Power Service fuel and oil additives along with Shell Rotella 15W-40 engine oil. I bought the additives and engine oil by the pallet load and made sure that there was enough in the storage locker under the sleeper cab so they didn't run out. Most miles in one year was 189,000, two full time drivers plus me sometimes. They preferred to not have me with them, but I wrote the paychecks and paid the bills!!! They were happy when I got tired of seeing mile markers!!!

Now Cat makes that engine that runs on gas also and you are saying it will get many more miles out of it on propane then diesel with more power. The last I knew they were running 6 of these large gas Cat engines off of methane gas at the land fill generating electric. I know they had blown one of them up but have no idea how many hours they get out of a engine or the power output.

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
Back a lot of years back you could have a propane grill tanks refilled. Even at one time they would fill my small grill tanks when I had gas delivered to my house. No more filling stations and they wouldn't fill my grill tanks off the delivery truck anymore. The cylinder exchange is anyone's choice around here. Now I don't what they will do with a commercial account? If you were to run a truck with propane I wouldn't know where you would even buy fuel to run it in this part of NY?? You can buy gasoline 24/7 and no shortage . Just why do you also figure less maintenance with a propane engine, I have seen commercial diesel engines get over a million miles and they sure aren't clean running.

Actually there are plenty of suppliers that would set you up for a commercial account.

As far as less maintenance you can extend oil changes and there is no longer the problem that comes with ethanol.

I left it up to my drivers whether to fill the smaller tanks or not. Honestly it isn't much of a problem for them to do this during the summer but having to take the time to find the hose-end adaptor and a slotted screwdriver in the winter when I'm paying time-and-a-half overtime isn't tolerated. Depending on how big a customer you are of course.:laughing:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Right now propane here is $1.10 more than gas. So it would cost me about $30 more per day to run propane

Terry CleanFuel

Threads

Strange about the gensets. I've installed probably 200-300 "Guardian" brand Propane standby gensets with no problems whatsoever. I've done Kohlers and Briggs too. Honda back then was a bit dicey because of their timing during the start circuit.

I also did 50 75KW Powerplants in Duck Valley, NV and they've been running for years (7) with never a miss. All the powerplants that run the Microwave towers around the ID, MT and WY area are propane too and the only calls are for fuel.

Honestly, I don't know how something would enter the carburetor as propane is a closed system.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
What do you use it for during the winter?

I am a little slow this time of year so only doing 50 yards a week right now.
Mower, blower, trimmer, edger, pole saw,