For those interested in Alternative Fuels

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
The only equipment I run on propane is my cooking stove, outside gas grill, my camp furnace. Other then that I know nothing about using it in a mower. That is what I was asking just what would be the advantages. I have been around gasoline engines all my life other then years ago I do recall working on some engines ran on propane. Yes I do remember they were very clean running. Seeing you do run and use them you know a lot more then I do. In my mine I see a big old propane tank of a small push mower and a big pain refilling the tank like my gas grill. I can go to any gas station and fill my gas can very easy and any day. Yes they do come to my house and fill my cook stove and furnace tank. Not such a good thing for my gas grill which I have to exchange tanks at the local hardware store when they are open. Just maybe do you have your own filling station or do you just have spare tanks?

The US could be the OPEC of propane. We are a net exporter but we use little of it here. Not like Europe and Australia where thirty percent of the vehicles run on propane.

For the small push-mower tanks you can refill them using a forklift tank and adaptor. For larger mower tanks the propane companies will furnish tanks and cabinet usually for free.

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
I don't remember who sold them but you could get a propane trimmer. Did not go over real good. It used small bottles like you use on a camping grill. One bottle would last about 20 mins.

IMO it is not worth it to convert just one mower. Now if you have 5 or more mowers and they are new then maybe it would be worth it.
Look at it this way you buy a $5000 mower then $400 to convert to propane. How much money do you think you will save keeping the mower two years. Let's say 1000 hours.

Now if you run your mower 8 to 10 hours a day you have to Change the tank or find a place to fill it 3 times each day.

The manufacturer was Lehr and, you're correct, they did not work well. The design was purchased by another company and you can buy propane trimmers under several different names. Craftsman for one.

One mower at 1000 hours per year would save over $2000 in fuel and maintenance savings. That's gasoline at 3.85 and propane at 1.65. These prices are REAL prices from last summer here in Boise.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
The manufacturer was Lehr and, you're correct, they did not work well. The design was purchased by another company and you can buy propane trimmers under several different names. Craftsman for one. One mower at 1000 hours per year would save over $2000 in fuel and maintenance savings. That's gasoline at 3.85 and propane at 1.65. These prices are REAL prices from last summer here in Boise.

Ok I get that propane is cheaper.
But what about the time it takes to change a tank?
Or carry extra tanks taking up space on your truck or trailer?

I am just trying to understand.

Gas here is $3.05
The price of propane is still going up as there is a shortage right now.
Something to do with working on a pipeline at the time of year when demand is high

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Propane tanks aren't free in my neighbor hood. I had to buy my own tank for my grill and the propane company charges me rent for my cooking and furnace tanks. Maybe for a company that will use a lot of gas the tanks are free??? Now for the gas grill they exchange tanks with me but I had to buy the first one.

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
Ok I get that propane is cheaper.
But what about the time it takes to change a tank?
Or carry extra tanks taking up space on your truck or trailer?

I am just trying to understand.

Gas here is $3.05
The price of propane is still going up as there is a shortage right now.
Something to do with working on a pipeline at the time of year when demand is high

I can tell you from experience that propane "shortages" happen every year. Luckily cutters only need it during the summer when prices are at their lowest. I've been able to swing some "pre-buy" contracts for the larger cutters at much less than $1.65.

Believe it or not it's faster to change tanks than to have the crew visit a gas station. Propane cylinders can be stored on their side. they don't have to be upright like gas cans. For security you can run a cable lock through the headring.

A cutter from Missouri tells me about his crew stopping at a gas station and several of their wives filled up on the P card at the same time. It's not uncommon.

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
Propane tanks aren't free in my neighbor hood. I had to buy my own tank for my grill and the propane company charges me rent for my cooking and furnace tanks. Maybe for a company that will use a lot of gas the tanks are free??? Now for the gas grill they exchange tanks with me but I had to buy the first one.

LOL! A customer and I were discussing that same thing this morning!

I barbecue quite a bit and use maybe, what, twenty gallons per year? A typical commercial walkbehind cutting eight hours per day five day per week for 42 weeks will use 1680 gallons. Propane companies know this (I do). Trust me here, I helped build the program. They are quite happy to supply either a bulk dispenser or a cylinder rack along with the cylinders.

If you guys want to play with my program feel free to visit here. You can put-in your own numbers:

Clean Fuel LPG Propane Conversions, Eco-friendly

Have fun with it!!

By the way, you kinda get ripped-off with the cylinder exchange. You pay a premium for a new 20# cylinder and then when you exchange you could get a 1965 refurb. That and they short you 1/3 gallon each visit. You wind up paying about $4.00 per gallon. Convenience has a price...

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
For those who may want to convert Propane is about 4.00$ a gallon here in the south it no longer a 1.50$ gallon like it used to be I believe I will use good old gasoline :thumbsup::thumbsup:

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ya I've decided I won't do it to much cost involved and lots of inconvenience. Some point down the line I would like to run full propane on truck and equipment

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
For those who may want to convert Propane is about 4.00$ a gallon here in the south it no longer a 1.50$ gallon like it used to be I believe I will use good old gasoline :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Kodie this happens every year. I don't know of anybody mowing now do you?

Many year-round landscaping companies push snow in the winter. Some still use the propane on their quads with blades for sidewalks.

Propane is not for everybody. Especially for those who mow during the winter months, like the Southern states. Usually anyway.

By the way, if you can still find this "good old gasoline" I'd buy a bunch of it...:thumbsup:

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
Ya I've decided I won't do it to much cost involved and lots of inconvenience. Some point down the line I would like to run full propane on truck and equipment

That's fine and you'd be doing the right thing and I thank you for it!

Just be sure you get correct information when that time comes around.