For those interested in Alternative Fuels

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
. This thread started with the economic feasibility of converting lawn and garden equipment to propane. Now you want to debate therms. I can't take it any more. Uncle, you win, I am wrong, you beat me, I'm too old to battle the south end of a north bound skunk. I am going to do what I should have done to any salesman who try's to sell his product in any way possible, I'm walking away from this thread. Others will be able to read and make their own decisions. Time to let this thread die and wait for someone to to start a thread on converting my snowblower to be powered by an electric motor, with solar panels or wind turbine on top.

HotRod1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi group,

If you want to have a looksee at what's happening in Commercial Mower news look here:

Offering Propane Equipment and Conversions - Green Industry Pros

And here:

More mowers turning to propane fuel | CharlotteObserver.com

If you have any questions give me a holler...

Natural gas creates more ash during the combustion process and a special oil has to be used to keep the ash suspended in the oil. Does a propane engine require a special oil as well?

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
. This thread started with the economic feasibility of converting lawn and garden equipment to propane. Now you want to debate therms. I can't take it any more. Uncle, you win, I am wrong, you beat me, I'm too old to battle the south end of a north bound skunk. I am going to do what I should have done to any salesman who try's to sell his product in any way possible, I'm walking away from this thread. Others will be able to read and make their own decisions. Time to let this thread die and wait for someone to to start a thread on converting my snowblower to be powered by an electric motor, with solar panels or wind turbine on top.

Um, I'd have to agree on that.

Somehow the thread was hijacked to home heating costs. This is measured differently when heating with Natural Gas.

These different measurements are not meant to confuse anybody. What is second nature to me, I understand, is not second nature to all. For this I apologize.

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
Natural gas creates more ash during the combustion process and a special oil has to be used to keep the ash suspended in the oil. Does a propane engine require a special oil as well?

Honestly, Hotrod, that's news to me. I've not heard of such a thing...

Terry CleanFuel

Threads
Folks,

I was invited here by one of your members because the topic had been raised about propane as an alternative fuel for mowers. I know something about this as I have been assisting Kawasaki Motors to that end in their dealer schools in and around the PNW and Mid West. That and I have spent the majority of the past 30 years in the propane industry.

I didn't come here to compete or to argue the feasibility of alternative energy. Ultimately the consumer chooses what is best and I'm happy to oblige them.

Some here have taken issue with me and expressed their opinions quite personally. I find that those who are so verbal have little or no experience with alternative fuels and just choose to ridicule given the anonymity of this venue. Good for you! You are much more clever and witty than I.

Look at the bottom line when choosing an alternative fuel. Look for facts. Do the research and learn from experts. Do what's right for YOU.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Folks, I was invited here by one of your members because the topic had been raised about propane as an alternative fuel for mowers. I know something about this as I have been assisting Kawasaki Motors to that end in their dealer schools in and around the PNW and Mid West. That and I have spent the majority of the past 30 years in the propane industry. I didn't come here to compete or to argue the feasibility of alternative energy. Ultimately the consumer chooses what is best and I'm happy to oblige them. Some here have taken issue with me and expressed their opinions quite personally. I find that those who are so verbal have little or no experience with alternative fuels and just choose to ridicule given the anonymity of this venue. Good for you! You are much more clever and witty than I. Look at the bottom line when choosing an alternative fuel. Look for facts. Do the research and learn from experts. Do what's right for YOU.

I agree propane could benefit a company with a fleet of mowers but most of us on here only run 2 or 3 mowers

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think it would likely benefit most Lawncare companies, if they were a serious business, which most here are probably not. The prices in the spring-fall are what is being ignored here, because everyone is enflamed by the shortages on this brutal winter, but he came here in the context of making propane feasible for a Commercial Lawn
care business.....

Not much grass is getting cut in most of the US at the moment, eh? If one would take the time to look locally, many hardware stores refill propane.

So before getting all worked up in this discussion, stop whining about how much propane costs at the moment in Alaska, since it has not much to do with this thread!

If you have a larger business, you could get a setup similar to what the hardware stores have, and they could buy the fuel in the spring/summer when prices are low.

HotRod1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Honestly, Hotrod, that's news to me. I've not heard of such a thing...

The following are engine oil suppliers that offer oils formulated for CNG, LNG, and propane powered engines.

Valvoline Premium Blueョ GEO Engine Oil, Mobil GEO 15W-40, AMSOIL Synthetic Vehicular Mobile Natural Gas Engine Oil SAE 15w40, Shell Rotella T3 NG 15W-40, etc.

While these oils are for heavy duty applications they are required because CNG, LNG, and propane create more ash during the combustion process. There is a long list of oil manufactures and explanations available on the internet as to why CNG, LNG, and propane engines require a low ash oil. Westport Engineering and other engine manufacturers offering CNG, LNG, and propane powered engines may offer more technical information about this issue.

Regards,

HotRod1

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
This thread kind of died?

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
This thread kind of died?

Well at this point we are talking in circles. Lots of good info here but its getting past that.