ENGINE OIL

Bison

Threads
They walk in the lobby w/ the dipstick to show you that they put the new oil in it.
:laughing:That does not mean a thing, they could've dipped the dipstick just in a new can of oil
The only time you can be sure they changed oil and filters is to crawl under and check if the filter is new and the drain plug has been removed or be right there when they do it,....or if you DIY
Most these lube places suck the oil out trough the dipstick tube but that leaves the crappy stuff in the bottom of the oill pan cause they can't reach it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
No one touches any vehicle that I own for any type of work, oil changes, tires, all repairs. I do need a NYS inspection done once a year on my cars and motorcycle and that is all I will have done by someone else. . I will have major warranty work done but take care of the small things myself. This way I know the work is done the way I want it done. To me a oil change and filter is such a small job why in the world would you have this done???

X-man

Threads
No one touches any vehicle that I own for any type of work, oil changes, tires, all repairs. I do need a NYS inspection done once a year on my cars and motorcycle and that is all I will have done by someone else. . I will have major warranty work done but take care of the small things myself. This way I know the work is done the way I want it done. To me a oil change and filter is such a small job why in the world would you have this done???

I don't have a choice, against trailer park rules to do any vehicle work there.

Before ya'll say "go to someone's house and do it", I rarely have the time to do that.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Only my truck gets serviced by others. Because its a business expence and tax write off. This justifies me being lazy :) my other cars I do all the work except mounting tires I don't have that equipment. I did just buy my wife a new car a 1999 jeep Cherokee 1 owner perfect condition 168*** miles. It will be recieving synthetic only oil changes every 3500 miles.

patme

Forum Newbie
Threads
Re: Engin Oil

I'm not a big fan of Pennzoil. Heard both good and bad things (more bad than anything) about it.

Fram... I hate Fram with a passion.

All you have to do is take a Fram oil filter apart and see how poorly built it is.

X-man, have you ever taken a Fram oil filter apart yourself or are you going by what you've read in the past. Don't get me wrong, I don't use Fram either. I just prefer other brands.

X-man

Threads
Re: Engin Oil

X-man, have you ever taken a Fram oil filter apart yourself...

Yes.

The filter material has cheap-*** cardboard ends, which are supposed to be metal. Cardboard can easily break apart, which can cause the filter pleats to move from it's fixed spot.

Fram also has a sh**ty design for their anti drain back valve.

The filter media is cheaply built, with a low number of pleats put in it.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Only my truck gets serviced by others. Because its a business expence and tax write off. This justifies me being lazy :) my other cars I do all the work except mounting tires I don't have that equipment. I did just buy my wife a new car a 1999 jeep Cherokee 1 owner perfect condition 168*** miles. It will be recieving synthetic only oil changes every 3500 miles.

It will be receiving synthetic only oil changes every 3500 miles.[/QUOTE] What a waste of money, why use synthetic with that low of miles? The advantages of synthetic oil is to be able to run it longer.

Bison

Threads
X-man, have you ever taken a Fram oil filter apart yourself or are you going by what you've read in the past. Don't get me wrong, I don't use Fram either. I just prefer other brands.

Yes.

The filter material has cheap-*** cardboard ends, which are supposed to be metal. Cardboard can easily break apart, which can cause the filter pleats to move from it's fixed spot.

Fram also has a sh**ty design for their anti drain back valve.

The filter media is cheaply built, with a low number of pleats put in it.

I been using Fram spin on filters on my 5 GM 6.5 diesels since 96. I never had a problem with them. I cut a fram filter apart last year cause people were saying how bad they are.
I also cut a Donaldson filter apart that came from my GMC duramax diesel. I found no big difference in the make up between these filters when i compared the two.The filter media was identical on both and there where steel end plates on both.

It will be receiving synthetic only oil changes every 3500 miles.
What a waste of money, why use synthetic with that low of miles? The advantages of synthetic oil is to be able to run it longer.[/QUOTE]

IMO synthetic is justified in winter as it helps for easier starting in below freezing weather cause it is more slippery. I don't use it anymore cause all my vehicles are kept inside a heated garage these days and the stuff is just to expensive.

Conventional oil is actually just as good.
I had a Pontiac sunbird that seized (spun a crank bearing) the engine just before the 50 thou km warranty expired.
It had not had an oil change in the last 20 thousand km.(wife was supposed to keep track of that)
They dealer send an oil sample out for analysis and it came back as well within limits,....nothing wrong with the oil.
The Dealer replaced the engine under warranty.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Conventional oil is actually just as good.
I had a Pontiac sunbird that seized (spun a crank bearing) the engine just before the 50 thou km warranty expired.
It had not had an oil change in the last 20 thousand km.(wife was supposed to keep track of that)
They dealer send an oil sample out for analysis and it came back as well within limits,....nothing wrong with the oil.
The Dealer replaced the engine under warranty.[/QUOTE]

Yes I run Amsoil full synthetic 20 thousand miles with a 10 thousand mile oil filter change. When I was running conventional oil I did a 6000 thousand mile oil and filter change. Just pushing it too far 20,000 miles on conventional oil. But also its yours equipment and money so go for it. Spindling a rod insert can get pricey. The only time I ever spun a insert it was my own fault with too RPM'S on a cold engine when I was young and foolish.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Fram filters are not made cheap.

The problem with running fram on a small engine or a performance engine is they restrict the oil to much.