ENGINE OIL

Nwatson99

Threads
Re: Engin Oil

Yes.

The filter material has cheap-*** cardboard ends, which are supposed to be metal. Cardboard can easily break apart, which can cause the filter pleats to move from it's fixed spot.

The filter media is cheaply built, with a low number of pleats put in it.

Exactly the same what I thought, when I cut one open right beside a Kawasaki filter and a Purolator Pure One. The Kawasaki and Purolator filters looked and felt much better and stronger, so that is why I only use the Kawasaki filter with my oil changes and found it is much cheaper to order 6 or more at one time.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Wasn't thinking. I think you meant SAE 30

Trick question...what weight is SAE30???? When the user stated 30w, you responded "isn't 30w a little thick" so I'm a bit confused as it seems to be saying the exact same thing to me(SAE30 = 30w). BTW, I've used Briggs & Stratton "SAE30" for over 20 years in 3 different mowers(most recently in my Kawasaki FX691V in my Gravely). Never had ANY oil-related problems(including oil consumption/leaking). Synthetic oil....what's that:0)
Oh yeah, that expensive lubricant for the lazy people that want to go 20k miles in their vehicles without changing their oil(guess you can tell I'm not a big fan:0)

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Trick question...what weight is SAE30???? When the user stated 30w, you responded "isn't 30w a little thick" so I'm a bit confused as it seems to be saying the exact same thing to me(SAE30 = 30w). BTW, I've used Briggs & Stratton "SAE30" for over 20 years in 3 different mowers(most recently in my Kawasaki FX691V in my Gravely). Never had ANY oil-related problems(including oil consumption/leaking). Synthetic oil....what's that:0) Oh yeah, that expensive lubricant for the lazy people that want to go 20k miles in their vehicles without changing their oil(guess you can tell I'm not a big fan:0)

OMG now you gone and got sh#t started.
Using briggs oil in a Kawasaki. Man you are lucky it has not blown up yet.
I will take the focus off of you.

For the past 2 months I have been using dollar general SAE30 at $1.95 a quart.

abel316

Forum Newbie
Threads
I useCastrol 30. Change oil every 50hrs, at 100 hrs change oil, air filter and spark plug.No repairs for 10yrs.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
OMG now you gone and got sh#t started.
Using briggs oil in a Kawasaki. Man you are lucky it has not blown up yet.
I will take the focus off of you.

For the past 2 months I have been using dollar general SAE30 at $1.95 a quart.

Not worried here.....just gave my opinion and thought I was tactful. I would tell others with different opinions that I am by no means claiming to be the sovereign God and dictate to them what is right for them. On the B & S oil...you may recall in some of my early on posts that I was weaned on Briggs-powered lawn tractors. First on a 1993 46" Lawn Chief with a 16hp Briggs Vangard(13 years...then my son for 6 more), and second on a 2006 54" Craftsman(Husqvarna) with a 24hp Intek(that I wouldn't give you $1.99 for) that I gave my son in 2012 when I got my Gravely. I can honestly say that from 1993 to 2012, neither of those engines(and that 16hp Vangard was a GOOD one) had ANY oil-related(leaking or consumption) problems. The B & S SAE30 is inexpensive, widely available and good quality(like you stated...Dollar store SAE30 is........well is SAE30). My Gravely dealership mechanic told me he agreed that the quality of the B & S oil was just as good as the Kawasaki oil(and cheaper) and that it would keep my engine warranty in effect. On the conventional/synthetic debate I won't argue much for either, but do think synthetic is overpriced and I would NEVER go 20,000 miles without changing the oil in my truck(doing it every 3,000 miles has gotten me over 240,000 miles so far, so I'm gonna keep doing oil maintenance just like when I bought it in 1995 and see no reason to change). For my lawn mower....when Kawasaki starts shipping their engines with synthetic in them, or HydroGear starts shipping their transaxles with synthetic in them....then I'll re-consider changing to the recommended lubricant.

X-man

Threads
Trick question...what weight is SAE30????...

When I read 30w, I was thinking something like 30W-__, and not just regular SAE 30.

I think SAE 30 is about the same as 10W-30.

gfp55

Threads
First off Please don't tell me I'm wasting my money, because its my money not yours. I don't tell you that you should brush your hair not comb it because you will go bald if you comb it. I use Mobil One in all my machines and use factory filters also. I do the oil changing on my stuff, I don't have anyone else do it because I know its done right if I do it. People that don't do it themselves and have (Skippy) do it and then tell me they don't do it, don't know what they are talking about, so why listen to them. If you do your homework and see how synthetic oil works to keep your engine clean (big or small) you may learn something....

X-man

Threads
First off Please don't tell me I'm wasting my money, because its my money not yours. I don't tell you that you should brush your hair not comb it because you will go bald if you comb it. I use Mobil One in all my machines and use factory filters also. I do the oil changing on my stuff, I don't have anyone else do it because I know its done right if I do it. People that don't do it themselves and have (Skippy) do it and then tell me they don't do it, don't know what they are talking about, so why listen to them. If you do your homework and see how synthetic oil works to keep your engine clean (big or small) you may learn something....

Umm, I know exactly what I'm talking about. I don't change the oil in my car myself because it's against the rules in my trailer park. I have to bring it somewhere else.

Back when I lived out in the country, everything done on my car was done myself, no one else touched it.

Just because we go to a local garage, doesn't mean we don't know what we're talking about.

Bison

Threads

Maybe take your own advice ya.
There is none of the engine brands that are sold new with synthetic oil in the crank case.
All of them state in their manual not to use synthetic for the first 3 oil changes.

The best way to prolong engine life and extend oil life is to install a bypass spinner filter.

gfp55

Threads
Umm, I know exactly what I'm talking about. I don't change the oil in my car myself because it's against the rules in my trailer park. I have to bring it somewhere else.

Back when I lived out in the country, everything done on my car was done myself, no one else touched it.

Just because we go to a local garage, doesn't mean we don't know what we're talking about.
I guess I should not have painted everyone with the same brush. Sorry. I was talking about the person that has not changed oil for many many years.