Craftsman T2400 Kohler won't start

mikendebbie

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did give him the info that he needs to post we needed for looking up the equipment. And for the late post as I just got back out of horsepital.

Sorry about that snap but it does irritate me that it keeps constantly happening that the need is not posted before we can look things up.

First check for spark at the plug with it grounded to the engine as she may may just fouled it out. And just note that even if fires outside the engine's compression zone it still can be bad enough to not fire under the compression load. The best option is to try a known good plug.
No problem! Im that guy on the Montana Fifth Wheel Owners forum who has no patience with newbies who ask a question but never state their year or model number. My bad for not being more specific with my question. I will work on the tractor this pm and update you. I appreciate the help!

pchalpin

Forum Newbie
Threads
I did give him the info that he needs to post we needed for looking up the equipment. And for the late post as I just got back out of horsepital.

Sorry about that snap but it does irritate me that it keeps constantly happening that the need is not posted before we can look things up.

First check for spark at the plug with it grounded to the engine as she may may just fouled it out. And just note that even if fires outside the engine's compression zone it still can be bad enough to not fire under the compression load. The best option is to try a known good plug.
Hi Star Tech. Sorry to hear you were in the hospital, and hope you are on the mend. I too regret my snap. My apologies.

Joed756

Threads
Craftsman T2400 Kohler engine (24 hrs on the guage) purchased from Lowes May 2022. It has been doing great. Wife can never remember to choke before cranking OR to take it off choke once it is cranked. Yesterday she jumped on the tractor, cranked it up and took off with the choke engaged. I started running toward her to take the choke off - but before I got there it died. She drove it about 20'. Now it will not fire and run. I put the battery charger on it so the battery is good. It had fresh gas in it. Starter turns it over but no fire. Any ideas what I should do to get it going?
Was this perhaps your first mow of the season? Or, had you just added fuel that has been sitting for awhile. You might have some water in the tank, check with a turkey baster, just not the one that your wife uses.

mikendebbie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here is what I have done so far...spark plugs were wet and dark, so I put new Champion spark plugs in. I replaced the fuel filter and the air filter. Cleaned up everything. Initially I thought the battery was bad but it tested good at Advanced Auto Parts. The battery terminals were loose so I put in some new nuts and bolts to tighten them up. First crank attempt (no choke) - got no fire. I sprayed some starting fluid in the intake, again no choke and it fired up for about 3 seconds and died. Repeated the starter spray two more times with same result. What next?

Craftsman Garage

Threads
Well, from what I can tell, that is a carburetor issue. You can either take the carburetor apart and try to clean all the little holes of any potential debris (this may not always work) or just but a new carburetor. Whether you pick oem kohler or much cheaper Amazon is up to you, but this is just what I suggest.

mikendebbie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Amazon has a bunch of choices for KT730 for $35 - $50. Can you recommend one or two?

mikendebbie

Forum Newbie
Threads
Out the new carb on today. Still get the same result. It fires for 3 seconds and dies. It will not crank.
For what it is worth - spark plugs are getting spark (got shocked by one) and gas flows out of fuel pump.
The new plug tips looked vaguely like small film of clear oil on the tip. I wiped it off.
What next? I'm thinking I need to find a mobile lawn mower mechanic - if there is such a thing.
The one shop within 30 miles will keep it for 4-6 weeks...if I can get it loaded up on the truck and take it in.

ccheatha

Threads
Out the new carb on today. Still get the same result. It fires for 3 seconds and dies. It will not crank.
For what it is worth - spark plugs are getting spark (got shocked by one) and gas flows out of fuel pump.
The new plug tips looked vaguely like small film of clear oil on the tip. I wiped it off.
What next? I'm thinking I need to find a mobile lawn mower mechanic - if there is such a thing.
The one shop within 30 miles will keep it for 4-6 weeks...if I can get it loaded up on the truck and take it in.
Still sounds like it’s not getting gas from the carb. If you remove the carb bowl plug, does gas flow from the bowl? If there’s a fuel shut off, is it completely open?