Craftsman T2400 Kohler won't start

gregjo1948

Threads
Craftsman T2400 Kohler engine (24 hrs on the guage) purchased from Lowes May 2022. It has been doing great. Wife can never remember to choke before cranking OR to take it off choke once it is cranked. Yesterday she jumped on the tractor, cranked it up and took off with the choke engaged. I started running toward her to take the choke off - but before I got there it died. She drove it about 20'. Now it will not fire and run. I put the battery charger on it so the battery is good. It had fresh gas in it. Starter turns it over but no fire. Any ideas what I should do to get it going?
I'd install new spark plugs. By running it multiple times with the choke on, you've probably gas soaked them causing them not to fire/spark properly.

closecut

Threads
Try this:Open the throttle wide open.Crank over engine and see if raw fuel comes out of spark plug hole.If not there is definitely a fuel supply problem.Did you change the fuel filter? Sometimes they will clog inside the tank,so remove the fuel line fitting at the tank and check if it is clogged.Sometimes this happens if it sits with fuel in it over the winter.Also check all the safety switches,seat(seat is prone to switch failure.),deck,clutch,forward,etc.if you have no a spark.Feeling a shock does not necessarily mean a good spark.

kyledeere79

Forum Newbie
Threads
You should have connected a 2 wire connector to the bottom of the carburetor- double check that's plugged in and you can also listen for it to click when the key goes forward one notch. It's a 12V solenoid that has a plunger that sticks out and keeps the gas from flowing when the key is off- turn the key on the click soundcis the plunger pulling back and letting gas by.

elmrfudd

Threads
It may be a good idea to check for possible fuel in the oil, since it appears the engine was flooded. Gasoline in the oil has a tendency to alter the mixture put forth by the carburetor, causing an extremely rich mixture inside the combustion chamber, especially if the crankcase has taken on significant fuel seeping past the rings. I’ve experienced this more than once, where changing the oil solved the issue. It can usually be easily detected by seeing if your dipstick indicates oil being well above the ‘full’ mark, and noticeably thinned by the gasoline. May be worth checking.

Gebo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Dump the old gas. Drain the carbs and lines. Pour in fresh gas. It’s the old gasoline. Problems with small engines are almost always “bad” gas.

GearHead36

Threads
Dump the old gas. Drain the carbs and lines. Pour in fresh gas. It’s the old gasoline. Problems with small engines are almost always “bad” gas.
I 2nd this. Any time I have starting problems, new fuel is my first go-to.

elmrfudd

Threads
Very possible, Gebo, especially if the gas wasn’t stabilized or contains ethanol, since ethanol attracts moisture. I always fill my cans with non-ethanol, stabilized fuel. Great point!

Gord Baker

Threads
Craftsman T2400 Kohler engine (24 hrs on the guage) purchased from Lowes May 2022. It has been doing great. Wife can never remember to choke before cranking OR to take it off choke once it is cranked. Yesterday she jumped on the tractor, cranked it up and took off with the choke engaged. I started running toward her to take the choke off - but before I got there it died. She drove it about 20'. Now it will not fire and run. I put the battery charger on it so the battery is good. It had fresh gas in it. Starter turns it over but no fire. Any ideas what I should do to get it going?
I expect the Spark Plug is carboned up due to running rich with the Choke On.
Find the number on the porcelain portion of the spark plug and purchase a new one.
Carefully remove the old one, check gap on new one. A good time to sharpen blades and change oil if needed.

Dguerra83

Forum Newbie
Threads

It's probably flooded out. Take spark plug off and wipe it off. Put back in and try starting without choke. Also you do not need your model and serial number to diagnose. :) Unless your behind a computer to diagnose it.

Threads
Probably just flooded. Take the plug out, let it dry for a while and it should be good. Remember to shut the choke off in the future. Make it a point to not begin driving until you push it in.