Buying house with 6 acres - Need help selecting a mower - JD or Dixon?

Black Bart

Threads
  • / Buying house with 6 acres - Need help selecting a mower - JD or Dixon?
I have the 727K.

I thought you did mine has the water cooled kubota it is much longer also have a 72" deck it is bigger both in length and width.
I also have the collection system and the metal box hangs out behind the rear wheels.

Takes 12 feet to turn it around.
It is awesome mower as long as you don't have an area like I have were it just won't fit but if I drive my little 180 JD tractor in I have to back it out then still need to mow with a hand mower what the tractor didn't get.
I now have so many small spots that a tractor can't get and the GH is too big to get in their that the size of my Z445 is the best choice for my lawn.

robert

Threads
What I hope that all who are thinking of purchasing a zt have learned from this thread:

A major maker of zero turn mowers states,on their website, that the design is prone to turf damage unless a very deliberate turning process is used.
A very major maker of engines for the industry state, on their website, that the zero turn application is very hostile to the engine because, unlike the tractor (this is also mentioned by this giant of a manufacturer) which adds-by design- significant protection from abrasive/heat increasing debris.
A major maker of pricey zero turns, Grasshopper, responded to an email from me in which I inquired as to the towing capacity of their excellent mowers-the answer was damage to the drive was a concern if any owner towed a weight which was greater than what any owner -could move by hand (by the way the most 'vocal' advocate of this brand now admitts that using a JD lawn/garden tractor is FASTER on his average homeowner sized yard)

The lawn or garden tractor is by far, the best choice for ANY homeowner. The machine is safer, more comfortable, will do more, and will be longer lived than a similar quality zero turn-these statements cannot be intelligently refuted.

As to point of purchase remember this; only one maker-John Deere, offers a thirty day return on the purchase of a tractor, confirm that the product which you are interested in is included. As for the big box stores, the evil big box stores, they also offer a thirty day return period, or at least they do in my area, you perhaps should keep this in mind OR ask your local power equipment dealer if they will give you an extended demo or a purchase with return privledges.

Lastly remember that all of the most vocal defenders of the homeowner zero turn purchase have steadfastly refused to comment on what Scag and Briggs and Stratton post on their own website regarding info relative to this thread choosing instead to assign these thoughts to me.

In the end a zero turn will make zero sense-it did for me and it will for you.

jmac1

Threads
I hope you good luck on the pigs. The first year I raised them I had very good luck with them, but not the second year. I had a lot of enjoyment doing it.. They would eat just about anything. They would get all my grass clippings and what was left over from my garden and every else's garden I knew. I also would go to a dairy farm and feed them their left over bad milk, they just loved it. Another place I found food for them I would ask a farmer after they would harvest a field of corn if I could pick the left overs which I did. The problem started the second year. The first problem was that I used the same pen over from the first year and we have a wet summer. The pen just turned into a mud pit and I just couldn't do anything for the poor animals. I tryed straw just to dry it up but nothing worked and i put some concrete in just so they could get out of the mud. The only dry place for the was inside the hut I made for them. The second problem I had was when the rats came. This was too much and the last of my pig raising. I only thing I hate more then snakes is rats. So when you make your pen make sure it is on good high dry drained land and try to keep all food cleaned up and sealed. Good luck

Thanks for the tips. My wife pointed out the same things right away (I admit I didn't see it). There is a low spot on the property where I said we should put the animals, and see nixed that right away.

As for the rats...I'll pray they stay away.

Thanks for the tips!

jmac1

Threads
What I hope that all who are thinking of purchasing a zt have learned from this thread:

A major maker of zero turn mowers states,on their website, that the design is prone to turf damage unless a very deliberate turning process is used.
A very major maker of engines for the industry state, on their website, that the zero turn application is very hostile to the engine because, unlike the tractor (this is also mentioned by this giant of a manufacturer) which adds-by design- significant protection from abrasive/heat increasing debris.
A major maker of pricey zero turns, Grasshopper, responded to an email from me in which I inquired as to the towing capacity of their excellent mowers-the answer was damage to the drive was a concern if any owner towed a weight which was greater than what any owner -could move by hand (by the way the most 'vocal' advocate of this brand now admitts that using a JD lawn/garden tractor is FASTER on his average homeowner sized yard)

The lawn or garden tractor is by far, the best choice for ANY homeowner. The machine is safer, more comfortable, will do more, and will be longer lived than a similar quality zero turn-these statements cannot be intelligently refuted.

As to point of purchase remember this; only one maker-John Deere, offers a thirty day return on the purchase of a tractor, confirm that the product which you are interested in is included. As for the big box stores, the evil big box stores, they also offer a thirty day return period, or at least they do in my area, you perhaps should keep this in mind OR ask your local power equipment dealer if they will give you an extended demo or a purchase with return privledges.

Lastly remember that all of the most vocal defenders of the homeowner zero turn purchase have steadfastly refused to comment on what Scag and Briggs and Stratton post on their own website regarding info relative to this thread choosing instead to assign these thoughts to me.

In the end a zero turn will make zero sense-it did for me and it will for you.

Robert,

I appreciate the differing viewpoints as it gives me good things to consider. I agree that a GT would probably be faster on most small yards, but on 6 acres???? I would think I want the fastest thing I could get and ZT's look like they fly. I've also been told that on damp mornings, ZT's can cut the grass without leaving streaks where more front-heavy tractors would smash down that front grass and you'd have to go slower.

I am still considering that JD X485 that my buddy has, but am definitely leaning towards the ZT. Every commercial mowing place seems to favor the ZT's, and obviously they want to get their job done ASAP. Time=money...especially to them.

robert

Threads
Good luck with the decision, it seems that something with, or something that could accept a bucket would be of great use to you :wink:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Robert,

... definitely leaning towards the ZT. Every commercial mowing place seems to favor the ZT's, and obviously they want to get their job done ASAP. Time=money...especially to them.

You will LOVE it ... and it is easy to 'learn' the proper way to operate.... enjoy mowing most of the rest of us do... :smile:KennyV

Sammy the Red

Threads
I thought you did mine has the water cooled kubota it is much longer also have a 72" deck it is bigger both in length and width.
I also have the collection system and the metal box hangs out behind the rear wheels.

I knew your deck added a few inch's, but I did not know you had the collection box on the back. My nephew has that on his Z-turn. When I have used his mower, the box seems to get in the way when I make turns, can't swing around as easy as one without a box.

Black Bart

Threads
I knew your deck added a few inch's, but I did not know you had the collection box on the back. My nephew has that on his Z-turn. When I have used his mower, the box seems to get in the way when I make turns, can't swing around as easy as one without a box.

Yes the box adds some length but I really like the way my lawn looks when I pick up the clippings.
If I ever do away with the Greenhouse I will probably sell the mid-mount JD and buy a new GH I have 65 trees and a front mount can be run in under the low hanging limbs farther than a mid mount.
I used my GH for 20 years and did NO maintenance at all it is 100 percent like it came from the factory.
Still has the same filters on the hydro pumps that came on it.

It still has the same air filter I removed it a couple times and blew it out with compressed air was nothing but a little dust so it is ALL ORIGINAL.

I don't have the dust that Robert speaks of that would come from dry dirt my lawn is comprised of lush grass not dirt.

Perhaps he needs to do as I did and install a automated underground sprinkler system that way you mow grass not dirt.

After 20 years the Kubota starts instantly burns NO oil runs just like it did when it was new.
All I ever bought for it was gas and oil for changes.

When I built one of our big raised flower gardens I bought several truck loads of potting soil I parked the truck in the drive stacked the bags up on the deck of the GH and hauled them across the lawn.:biggrin:

Sure beat carrying them.
I'm going to sell my ole GH but I may have another one some day they are dam tuff machine.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As far as the rats go just make sure all stored food is sealed in metal containers and keep it as clean as possible where they eat. Pigs are very sloppy eaters. I got the rats when I stored corn.