Buying house with 6 acres - Need help selecting a mower - JD or Dixon?

jmac1

Threads
  • / Buying house with 6 acres - Need help selecting a mower - JD or Dixon?
We are purchasing a home with 6 acres to mow in Indiana. It is flat with a decent number of trees. I'm thinking a zero-turn is my best bet with a 60" deck, and was initially overwhelmed by my options. I am wanting the best mower for the money that will last a long time (doesn't everyone?). While I love the durability of a commercial mower, I just don't think I need to spend that much. I've kind of narrowed it down to the John Deere X465 and the Dixon Ultra 61. Both seem to be top of the line residential mowers for around $5,500. If I go with commercial quality, it seems I'll be spending at least $3,000 more. Any suggestions between the two? Am I missing something else out there that would be quality for the same or less money? Thanks for the help!

KohlerTwin

Forum Newbie
Threads
Buying a new to you rig is fun but can turn bad real quick. What exactly do you want it to do? Just mow? Or blow snow in the winter and till the garden in the fall? Just mowing i would look at the TORO Titan. Its a semi commercial machine with a solid kohler or kawasaki engine. It also packs a fab deck and and excellent cut. How much do you want to spend? Do you have any tight spots between trees and other obsticles? Do you "like" to mow or just git'r done and forget about quality? Are you looking for new with a waranty or used? How far is you closest dealer, and are they nice? alot to think about...i chose TORO because they were 10 mi down the road and had smiling faces and a good rep.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello and WELCOME to LMF to Both of you...

Those are to DIFFERENT types of mowers... and your price must be for good USED machines....

The ZTR Dixon should be a very handy and fast mower...
The Lawn Tractor John Deere should be a good all around yard tractor... Like what was said... depends on what you are planning to do... for mowing, the ZRT is going to be hard to beat... :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
We are purchasing a home with 6 acres to mow in Indiana. It is flat with a decent number of trees. I'm thinking a zero-turn is my best bet with a 60" deck, and was initially overwhelmed by my options. I am wanting the best mower for the money that will last a long time (doesn't everyone?). While I love the durability of a commercial mower, I just don't think I need to spend that much. I've kind of narrowed it down to the John Deere X465 and the Dixon Ultra 61. Both seem to be top of the line residential mowers for around $5,500. If I go with commercial quality, it seems I'll be spending at least $3,000 more. Any suggestions between the two? Am I missing something else out there that would be quality for the same or less money? Thanks for the help!
For the money you are talking you can buy a brand new John Deere Z-465 with 62 inch deck.
For mowing it will waaaay out perform any tractor type mower.

I prefer a tractor for some jobs that is why I have both kinds you could buy a good used tractor for other jobs and a new ZTR for all that mowing and still be at about 6K

jmac1

Threads
I realized in my initial post I stated an X-465, where I meant to say I am considering a Z-465. Both the JD Z465 and the Dixon Ultra 61 seem to be comparable machines as they both have similar horsepower with the a 61 inch deck, and similar weight (I assume that speaks to the gauge of the frame and deck).

I do think I want to focus on a machine to JUST mow, mainly because I think zero turns seem to be much faster at JUST mowing. I grew up mowing a large yard for my dad, and worked as a mower during a summer in college so I would say I'm looking forward to having some mowing to do again after 16 years of push mowing.

JD dealer is only about a mile from property. Dixon is 10 miles, with most other brands (including Toro) about 25 miles away.

jmac1

Threads
Went to look at the Dixon Ultra 61 today, and was very impressed. I really feel like it is going to be hard decision between the JD Z465 and the Dixon. The engine in the Dixon is a 27 hp Kohler Courage vs. the 27 hp Briggs with cyclonic air filtration in the JD. Anyone have experience or feelings on the two engines or any other aspect of the mowers? Dixon's are not talked about very much on this forum, so I gather they aren't nearly as popular (at least with the regular contributors.)

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dixon makes a good mower...
The Donaldson type air cleaner is a big plus on the JD... You will need to try them both to find what differences you like... :smile:KennyV

Black Bart

Threads
Went to look at the Dixon Ultra 61 today, and was very impressed. I really feel like it is going to be hard decision between the JD Z465 and the Dixon. The engine in the Dixon is a 27 hp Kohler Courage vs. the 27 hp Briggs with cyclonic air filtration in the JD. Anyone have experience or feelings on the two engines or any other aspect of the mowers? Dixon's are not talked about very much on this forum, so I gather they aren't nearly as popular (at least with the regular contributors.)
Between the two you mention it would be a easy decision for me.

This spring I ask Mutton in Ft Wayne what was the number one problem they saw in their service department and it was blown head gaskets on the Kohler.

When it comes times to sell the JD will bring waaaay more $$$$$$$$ than the Dixon and years from now JD will be around with parts and service.

The Dixon may or may not.:eek:

jmac1

Threads
Thanks Bart. I see you own a Z445 which appears to the same as the Z465 just with a slightly smaller deck, so I am guessing by your recommendation that you are fully satisfied with the mower.

I also see you own a Grasshopper which I consider to be a commercial mower (at least they are priced that way.) I would also be interested in you comparing the two. Again, I'm looking at 6 acres and my budget makes new commercial quality mowers out of the question, but the dealers (and my more affluent farmer friends) all say that commercial built mowers. I just don't think I need that much quality when I'll only have it running a few hours a week. Would you agree?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I haven't actually spoken with anyone who owns a Z445 or 465.

Black Bart

Threads
Thanks Bart. I see you own a Z445 which appears to the same as the Z465 just with a slightly smaller deck, so I am guessing by your recommendation that you are fully satisfied with the mower.

I also see you own a Grasshopper which I consider to be a commercial mower (at least they are priced that way.) I would also be interested in you comparing the two. Again, I'm looking at 6 acres and my budget makes new commercial quality mowers out of the question, but the dealers (and my more affluent farmer friends) all say that commercial built mowers. I just don't think I need that much quality when I'll only have it running a few hours a week. Would you agree?

Sorry to ask so many questions but I haven't actually spoken with anyone who owns a Z445 or 465.
I really like my new EZ Trak but I just got it this spring so it has little use yet.

I don't think you can talk about how something is reliable that is so new.

I have a 1985 JD 430 nothing done to it in 26 years and a 1986 JD 180 with nothing done to it till this week had to replace sealed bearing on the deck.
If I had not been spraying it off with the hose it probably would still be going but water and worn seals don't play well together.:laughing:

A commercial mower is heaver built if you are going to mow reasonably smooth lawn the ZTrak should last years but if you mow pasture it really is not built for that.

I read on here people mowing what could be considered pasture with a mower, Everyone around here uses a big tractor and a Bush hog for that I would not try mowing that kind of ground with a finishing mower:confused2: