Buying house with 6 acres - Need help selecting a mower - JD or Dixon?

Sammy the Red

Threads
  • / Buying house with 6 acres - Need help selecting a mower - JD or Dixon?
Just buy one of each. :biggrin:

robert

Threads
BlackBart, lets stop the urinating contest and discuss the facts as posted at Scag's website, at the Briggs and Stratton website and also the towing limits of Grasshopper mowers which came directly from Grasshopper themselves-sorry to burst your bubble.....

The FACTS directly from Scag are:
the zt is by design prone to turf damage
a true zero turn on turf will cause damage
most likely a tight turn on turf will cause damage
to avoid turf damage the 'T' turn must be practiced

The FACTS directly from the Briggs and Stratton website are:
the zt mower, by design, places the engine in the most hostile operating enivronment, behind the deck directly in the dust/debris 'plume' (I believe this is the word used) by contrast a tractor, conventional, situates the engine ahead of the deck; in a much more friendly operating environment.
Additionally the tractor application usually has the engine enclosed/covered which offers additional protection from dirt. Yes I know, this enclosure does elevate the operating temp but the makers allow for this by ducting fan air AND I would suggest that the temps of the typical zt, after mowing for a bit, are much higher than an enclosed tractor engine.....

Its interesting to me that the most 'vocal' defenders of the zt mower as the sole piece of equipment available come from those fortunate enough to own both a zero turn and a gt, lt or cut and really this is what I hope all take away from this thread because,

the average homeowner will buy the average homeowner quality zt, for the sake of discussion lets reference the Exmark 'Quest' that I bought, and this average homeowner model zt will offer certainly no better quality critical components than even entry level lawn tractors, in fact most mid range lawn tractors will offer better components and in one instance, the Cub GT series, the owner will not only get superior critical components but far better build quality to boot- not only for the same price point but more than likely at far less cost. AND even if one purchases an upscale zt with real components all that will be had is a dedicated MOWER, which may or may not offer options but will not offer much towing capability-yuk, yuk..

And herein lies the key I believe, alot of you don't like to believe that Cub Cadet can outdo the greene machine but thats okay because I also was ignorant of the facts also. The big difference is that I looked at those pictures, confirmed what I saw in person at a local Cub dealer and reached the only conclusion that could be reached- Cub builds one heck of a product, for those who are honest enough to see the facts through the misconceptions.

I came, I saw, I bought, I am glad......in the end its not the color of the hood that matters its what under the hood-but many here will never acknowledge this.
If the op opts for a zero turn a huge mistake will be made, that is of course if only one machine can be had and that my friends is the cold hard truth.

'Grasshopper' look past the name for true quality-get it BlackBart-what was the name of that tv series ????? every now and again I come up with an original, everyone here HAS to admit that this is cool.....

Last edited:

Black Bart

Threads
Robert the Cadet tractors that I looked at were the cheapest thing I ever saw.
I tried to raise the hood and instead of coming up it just twisted .

I was at a TSC store what planet were you on that they build these quality Cadets.
I have a friend that is the manager at a TSC and he said they have nothing but problems with the CC he said it was a big P.O.S. and that is from a guy that makes his living selling them.

When you speak of quality are you saying that they use top grade plastic for the wheel bearings.:laughing:

I see the comment by Scag like the warning on my prescription pain pills they have a warning list as long as your arm but I don't have any of them.

They must put the warning on them because someone may have a side effect same with Scag while millions can operate a ZT with no problem there may be a person like you out their that just can't properly operate it, Hence the warning.

Only problem I ever had with turf damage has been in early spring if I mow with my tractor I must make a big pear shaped turn or the front tires will roll the sod while turning.

No such issues with the ZT if it is operated properly. It is only when someone that don't know how to operate it properly that a turf problem is possible.

Parkmower

Threads
Robert I think most zt users are tired of arguing with you that why no one else is responding.
Do us all a favor and stop beating this dead horse and let people make up their own mind. If they feel they made a mistake they can always sell and buy something else.

robert

Threads
BlackBart, please stop the nonsense; TSC does not handle the Cub 2000 series, perhaps when you took a look it was still too soon after finishing mowing with your Grasshopper zt and your mind had not clear up yet from bouncing around on that zippidy doo dah....a 1 can look alot like a 2 after all.

Are your shorts all in a twist because you have confirmed that your mega dollar Grasshopper can't tow squat? :laughing:

Black Bart

Threads
BlackBart, please stop the nonsense; TSC does not handle the Cub 2000 series, perhaps when you took a look it was still too soon after finishing mowing with your Grasshopper zt and your mind had not clear up yet from bouncing around on that zippidy doo dah....a 1 can look alot like a 2 after all.

Are your shorts all in a twist because you have confirmed that your mega dollar Grasshopper can't tow squat? :laughing:

Robert I already told you my GH will drag you CC off back wards.
I don't know were you live but if you want to make a wager large enough I will load my GH and bring it to your house and while your open differential is doing a peg leg burn out I will drag you off back wards.

Time to put your money where your mouth is and put some $$$$$$$$$$$ on it.

jmac1

Threads
Wow, this has become quite the heated forum here.

A few things to clear up:

1. Right now it is 6 acres of lush yard. I wish it wasn't so lush...maybe I wouldn't have to mow as often :)

2. I'm not talking about going in the livestock business. Just a few animals. 2 pigs take no room at all, a 20' x 20' pen with a little homemade shelter/cover gets the job done no problem. Buy 'em in April, sell 'em at the fair in July...I'm not worried here. You are right cattle are more difficult and typically take two years, but still one or two cattle are fine on less than an acre. You don't want them running around anyway, they get too much muscle that way. I guess my point is, we have plenty of land for what we plan on doing. My wife grew up farming and we have her whole family advising us on this little endeavor. If it ever gets too much, we just don't buy animals that year. I think it will be fun...and less mowing :)

Still haven't made a decision yet...weighing lots of options...but I am enjoying the suggestions!

Black Bart

Threads
Robert you keep telling me what my Grasshopper can not do so I would like to know more about your vast experience with one.

I'm on my second one been mowing with a GH for more than 25 years.

Please tell us how many years experience do you have using a Grasshopper

jmac1

Threads
I would add that if I could afford a Grasshopper, I think I would go that route. My problem is that for my $5,000 budget, they all have unbelievable hours on them (like well over 1,000). At least the ones I've seen for sale.

Bart - If you had $5,000 and wanted a 60" deck, would you buy a new JD Z465 or a Grasshopper (not sure on models) with 1,000+ hours?