Briggs& Stratton engine will not turn over

tschwarting

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sounds like a timing issue. By that I mean look at the flywheel key. Doesn't take much of a shear to throw off timing.

kyledeere79

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks old and tired. So I just did a search on symptoms of a bad timing gear on a crankshaft for Briggs& Stratton engine or something very similar as a phrase.

And again, I'm not an engine mechanic and I could tell you there is no way in hell I could ever come up with that phrase with what I know about engines probably not in a billion years. So wow. Overall the internet is great, especially this forum and YouTube videos unless you know exactly what you're looking for because you know what the problem is in advance. There's a good chance you're not going to find what you're looking for, unless it's a simple problem, that's my conclusion.

But thanks again old and tired. I will keep that in mind.

Jim
Jim- I think the original issue is that the throttle plate came off inside the carb. Either the little brass screws broke, came loose or the throttle shaft broke. Little screws in the cylinder would explain the banging.

JimP2014

Threads
Jim- I think the original issue is that the throttle plate came off inside the carb. Either the little brass screws broke, came loose or the throttle shaft broke. Little screws in the cylinder would explain the banging.
Thanks for your reply on this and I can only say I swapped out the original carburetor I put a brand new carburetor in which actually if you know what you're doing only takes under 5 minutes or less and it was the same problem. But having said that, since I went back to the original carburetor I will take a look at missing screws. I sent this reply on July 6th at 8:55 a.m. on the East Coast

Trob

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it is an Intek engine, the problem is probably the compression release on the camshaft, very common problem on Intek engines.

JimP2014

Threads
Thanks old and tired. So I just did a search on symptoms of a bad timing gear on a crankshaft for Briggs& Stratton engine or something very similar as a phrase.

And again, I'm not an engine mechanic and I could tell you there is no way in hell I could ever come up with that phrase with what I know about engines probably not in a billion years. So wow. Overall the internet is great, especially this forum and YouTube videos unless you know exactly what you're looking for because you know what the problem is in advance. There's a good chance you're not going to find what you're looking for, unless it's a simple problem, that's my conclusion.

But thanks again old and tired. I will keep that in mind.

Jim
It's July 6th 2024 and I can see where I have posted some years ago about a problem with the Briggs& Stratton engine and somehow I think I'm replying to a problem from back then. I can't figure out what's going on with the forum but from here on out I'm going to post the date and the time in the message. So it's July 6th 2024 9:00 a.m. and I'm waiting for a rain to stop and to go back out and put the flywheel back on. Go to 100 lb torque and take it from there.

Jim
Sent on July 6th. 2024 9:03 a.m.

JimP2014

Threads
Kyledere thanks for the reply. I can tell you about 3 weeks ago there was smoke on the muffler and it was very smoky and I thought the problem was a head gasket. I really didn't know what the problem was but at that time it had awesome power. There was nothing wrong with it except a lot of smoke so I replaced the head gasket and all's I could say is from there everything went downhill. It may have been a valve cover gasket all along. I don't know. I'm just trying to get everything back together again so I can run it.

Jim

g-man57

Threads
I'm not the greatest small engine mechanic - I keep my stuff running well and that's about it. But if I understand all you posts, the motor turns (I think), you have spark (I think), and the motor pops on occasion (I think). Given those premises, did you possibly hit a rock or stump that may have broken the key that keeps the flywheel located on the crank? All of your clues would indicate a possible timing issue to me.

JimP2014

Threads
I'm not the greatest small engine mechanic - I keep my stuff running well and that's about it. But if I understand all you posts, the motor turns (I think), you have spark (I think), and the motor pops on occasion (I think). Given those premises, did you possibly hit a rock or stump that may have broken the key that keeps the flywheel located on the crank? All of your clues would indicate a possible timing issue to me.
Okay to answer your question, 3 weeks ago there was a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust. I thought it was the cylinder head gasket and it may have been in reality the valve cover gasket. I failed to follow up with what happened next. So what happened next was I put oil back in the engine but because this engine was given to me for free because the guy overfilled the oil in the first place I was very careful about how much oil I added. I think in fact I added too little oil even though I know about oil and the importance of it. So after I got everything back together 3 weeks ago I was cutting the lawn. The engine was running great and then the engine just stopped so I pushed it back to the work area and then from there I believe when I was able to inspect the flywheel key there was nothing wrong with it but then I lost it. Trying to put it back in the second time around. The flywheel key was sheered but at that point I had so many different things going on. I could not figure out what's what. So I replaced every component on the engine. Small components, spark plugs, carburetors ignition coils, fuel filters just everything that attaches to the engine and then at some point maybe a couple weeks ago I ran into loud banging constant popping explosions coming out of the exhaust. Just so many different things without the proper experience. I did not even have a clue as to what was going on. So right now July 6th at 10:30 a.m. The flywheel key is brand new and it is in place. It needs to be tightened down. Waiting for the rain to stop. And it should start without carburetor cleaner because it has started up really well recently. But the problem then becomes banging and explosions and hunting and surging. So I'm hoping after going through everything like a pre-flight checklist and before I turn the key to everything is where it should be and take it from there as il engine pointed out the flywheel key or the torque should I say should be at 100 lb? Or maybe he said 110 but I will double check on that which was why that flywheel in the first place cuz I only torqued it to 80 lb

Jim

JimP2014

Threads
Okay to answer your question, 3 weeks ago there was a lot of smoke coming from the exhaust. I thought it was the cylinder head gasket and it may have been in reality the valve cover gasket. I failed to follow up with what happened next. So what happened next was I put oil back in the engine but because this engine was given to me for free because the guy overfilled the oil in the first place I was very careful about how much oil I added. I think in fact I added too little oil even though I know about oil and the importance of it. So after I got everything back together 3 weeks ago I was cutting the lawn. The engine was running great and then the engine just stopped so I pushed it back to the work area and then from there I believe when I was able to inspect the flywheel key there was nothing wrong with it but then I lost it. Trying to put it back in the second time around. The flywheel key was sheered but at that point I had so many different things going on. I could not figure out what's what. So I replaced every component on the engine. Small components, spark plugs, carburetors ignition coils, fuel filters just everything that attaches to the engine and then at some point maybe a couple weeks ago I ran into loud banging constant popping explosions coming out of the exhaust. Just so many different things without the proper experience. I did not even have a clue as to what was going on. So right now July 6th at 10:30 a.m. The flywheel key is brand new and it is in place. It needs to be tightened down. Waiting for the rain to stop. And it should start without carburetor cleaner because it has started up really well recently. But the problem then becomes banging and explosions and hunting and surging. So I'm hoping after going through everything like a pre-flight checklist and before I turn the key to everything is where it should be and take it from there as il engine pointed out the flywheel key or the torque should I say should be at 100 lb? Or maybe he said 110 but I will double check on that which was why that flywheel in the first place cuz I only torqued it to 80 lb

Jim
And there's just so many different things to remember, but one thing that I noticed only a couple days ago. 800° F. Using a thermal gun so there's something wrong with the temperature on the exhaust so I got to look at that too and I think that's everything before I go outside and get the flywheel properly installed