Briggs& Stratton engine will not turn over

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think what I failed to say is there's no way the flywheel key should be sitting up higher

The other thing I noticed is if you rotate the flywheel so the magnet is directly on center with the ignition coil. I would think the notch in the crank shaft would point in that direction. It's not it's pointing say 90° clockwise from the ignition coil. And I'm wondering if this is a very serious problem with the engine itself?
I suspect you are overthinking again. How some of these companies time their engines doesn't correspond to how the keyways are cut. If the magnet is facing the ignition coil were is the piston located. Should be close to TDC.

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I suspect you are overthinking again. How some of these companies time their engines doesn't correspond to how the keyways are cut. If the magnet is facing the ignition coil were is the piston located. Should be close to TDC.
Thank you very much for the answer Ilengine.

Jim

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For what it's worth, Sears has a video on replacing the flywheel key and in it they say push it down flush with the top of the crankshaft.

I believe a few days ago I actually did that but I'm not positive but if I did then I don't understand how the flywheel key could have raised itself up.

I'm just guessing and I don't know for sure. The flywheel itself is sitting up higher on the crankshaft then it should be.

Not sure if this is useful information to anyone else?

Jim

Forest#2

Threads
A Briggs and Stratton engine service manual is a good thing.

Has lots of pictures and one picture is worth a thousand words.

I see 14 pages of questions and answers. (but I did not read every page)

What is your latest concern? Is your engine running yet?

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hello Forest, I'm waiting right now as we speak for a flywheel puller because I can't get the flywheel off and I'm not going to try and pry it anymore. So before I decide to take the flywheel off, the engine starts right up. That's not even an issue and then it starts going into loud explosions. I think coming out of the exhaust I messed around with the timing. Or should I say the valve clearance maybe 10 times? I have replaced the ignition coil. I've gone back to the old ignition coil. I have replaced the spark plug. I've gone back to the old spark plug. It's rc 12yc I bought a new carburetor. I use that I'm going back to the old carburetor thoroughly cleaned out the gas tank. The strain new gas going into it bought a new fuel filter and like I said loud explosions coming out of the exhaust. I've also fixed the valve cover with red high temperature sealant that is holding the electronic fuel solenoid works. At least it clicks. I don't know what happens when it's running. This is where the project is at so my goal is to put a new flywheel key on and hopefully it runs smoothly. Also it has sounded very tinny like something's wrong but I'm not a mechanic so whatever I hear it's not with someone else could point to and say yeah I know what that is because I don't know.

Jim

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hello Forest, I'm waiting right now as we speak for a flywheel puller because I can't get the flywheel off and I'm not going to try and pry it anymore. So before I decide to take the flywheel off, the engine starts right up. That's not even an issue and then it starts going into loud explosions. I think coming out of the exhaust I messed around with the timing. Or should I say the valve clearance maybe 10 times? I have replaced the ignition coil. I've gone back to the old ignition coil. I have replaced the spark plug. I've gone back to the old spark plug. It's rc 12yc I bought a new carburetor. I use that I'm going back to the old carburetor thoroughly cleaned out the gas tank. The strain new gas going into it bought a new fuel filter and like I said loud explosions coming out of the exhaust. I've also fixed the valve cover with red high temperature sealant that is holding the electronic fuel solenoid works. At least it clicks. I don't know what happens when it's running. This is where the project is at so my goal is to put a new flywheel key on and hopefully it runs smoothly. Also it has sounded very tinny like something's wrong but I'm not a mechanic so whatever I hear it's not with someone else could point to and say yeah I know what that is because I don't know.

Jim
Just to be clear, I bought all kinds of new components. I would swap the new one in. I swapped the old one out. I swapped the old one back in. I swapped the new one in. It doesn't matter like all the old components are fine from what I gather

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
So I turned each nut probably 50 times and nothing is happening. I thought the flywheel was supposed to break free from the crankshaft. Is this a common problem where this tool does not work?

Jim
I'm hoping this is the problem. The first step should be tighten the bolt all the way down through the flywheel so that the end of the bolt makes contact with the short block. Otherwise it will not work.

But if that is the problem then I'm thinking that's a lot of force confined to a small area and you could crack the short block.

Jim