Briggs& Stratton engine will not turn over

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
About 3 weeks ago when this adventure began, the exhaust pipe got so hot. The weld separated to the muffler so I have four sheet metal screws. Nothing fancy. No it's red lock and I'm going to see if whatever is wrong with the engine and hopefully just the carburetor is the problem how this Briggs& Stratton OHV engine will sound

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
About 3 weeks ago when this adventure began, the exhaust pipe got so hot. The weld separated to the muffler so I have four sheet metal screws. Nothing fancy. No it's red lock and I'm going to see if whatever is wrong with the engine and hopefully just the carburetor is the problem how this Briggs& Stratton OHV engine will sound
So it's the sheet metal screw gone into metal and that's it. Nothing fancy. No adhesives nothing

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well you can't put the muffler back without taking off the cylinder head.

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1000009946.jpg since the engine starts up right away and then his struggles with explosions hunting and surging I revisited the flywheel and I notice the flywheel key is sticking out higher than the drive shaft. Also without specialized tools I can't get the flywheel off. So I have the Briggs& Stratton flywheeler are on order. I'm wondering if simply by having the flywheel key higher up on the drive shaft if that could be an issue. Other than that, I've taken close-ups of the flywheel key and it does not appear to be sheered and the other issue is if there's a theoretical dead center for alignment, how far off can a flywheel be to the left or right and still run correctly? In other words, 1 mm 2 mm 3 mm like that?

Jim

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
View attachment 69114 since the engine starts up right away and then his struggles with explosions hunting and surging I revisited the flywheel and I notice the flywheel key is sticking out higher than the drive shaft. Also without specialized tools I can't get the flywheel off. So I have the Briggs& Stratton flywheeler are on order. I'm wondering if simply by having the flywheel key higher up on the drive shaft if that could be an issue. Other than that, I've taken close-ups of the flywheel key and it does not appear to be sheered and the other issue is if there's a theoretical dead center for alignment, how far off can a flywheel be to the left or right and still run correctly? In other words, 1 mm 2 mm 3 mm like that?

Jim
I have a flywheel puller made by Briggs& Stratton on order Is what I was trying to say above

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
But all you needed was a harmonic balancer puller set. Actually the Briggs puller is not a very good design but works.

Now I do use puller shaft protectors as added insurance against shaft damage.

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
But all you needed was a harmonic balancer puller set. Actually the Briggs puller is not a very good design but works.

Now I do use puller shaft protectors as added insurance against shaft damage.
"Place the flywheel on the crankshaft and look through the flywheel hub to align the keyways on the flywheel and crankshaft.
With the flywheel in place, place the key in the keyway; it should fit securely. If you feel play, check to see if the key is upside down."
https://www.briggsandstratton.com/e...ce the flywheel on the,the key is upside down.

While it's true, I'm using my phone and I have trouble seeing all the text, but I love the way they mention it could be upside down. However, I don't see any place where they say here's what right side up is and this is directly from Briggs and Stratton. I did notice a little notch on one of the ends of the flywheel key but I did not know what it was for and I guess now it has something to do with the orientation?
Jim

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think what I failed to say is there's no way the flywheel key should be sitting up higher than the actual crankshaft. I'm just wondering if that makes sense. It's not easy to find that kind of information only over hundreds of articles?

JimP2014

Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I think what I failed to say is there's no way the flywheel key should be sitting up higher
I think what I failed to say is there's no way the flywheel key should be sitting up higher than the actual crankshaft. I'm just wondering if that makes sense. It's not easy to find that kind of information only over hundreds of articles?
The other thing I noticed is if you rotate the flywheel so the magnet is directly on center with the ignition coil. I would think the notch in the crank shaft would point in that direction. It's not it's pointing say 90° clockwise from the ignition coil. And I'm wondering if this is a very serious problem with the engine itself?