Would you buy the same mower again?

ljms

Threads
That's a good report on the Ferris. I has seen one last fall at one of the local agricultural fairs and was impressed with the welded deck and suspension. The fact that the grasscatcher clogs easily and is troubesome in clearing the clog is great to know. Thanks for the report.
LaVern

lamrith

Threads
That's a good report on the Ferris. I has seen one last fall at one of the local agricultural fairs and was impressed with the welded deck and suspension. The fact that the grasscatcher clogs easily and is troubesome in clearing the clog is great to know. Thanks for the report.
LaVern
Yeah I have been disappointed with the bagger. That said when it is drier time of the year and grass is not growing super fast it has been great and I have had no issues even mowing close to full travel speed. This is a tough time of the year here in the PNW, lot of rain leaving very few days to mow, and not uncommon to get 3-5" of growth in spots in a week. That length in itself is tough, but then it also holds moisture which compounds it makes it hard to bag. I need to remind myself to drop the bagger ( only actually takes 2min) and just mow normal to get the length cut, then come back over it latter to bag the cut grass. Takes much less time than trying to creep and not overload the chute.

Last edited:

Jeff T

Threads
Honda HR215 bought new in 1992. Still runs and looks great.

Toying with the idea of a newer one for the bigger engine and twin blade mulch system.

Steve_F

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bought a '94 grasshopper 725 used in '97 and am still riding today. It was a great deal and the zero turn, front deck and heavy build has been a good fit for my 8 acres of rough-ish land with lots of trees and shrubs. I would have preferred the diesel and the 6' deck, but this one was what was available in my price range and it's been great.

Steve

MowDanMan

Threads
Zero Turn with a steering wheel?? YOU BET!!! My Cub Cadet RZT SX42 is the most amazing machine I've ever seen! It has all of the zero turn benefits without the draw backs.
1st - It is beyond amazing on hill sides/ditches. It will outperform almost any 2wd tractor and EVERY zero turn on the market. I'm talking "mountain goat!!"
2nd - The steering wheel is tremendously more comfortable than the lap bars.
3rd - it doesn't tear up the lawn when making sharp turns.
4th - (this is a biggy) it's very possible to drink beer while you mow! Not so much with a typical zero turn.
The list goes on and on.

OK...so...it IS a totally residential model...and I wish it had a nicer deck...but the benefits far out weigh the drawbacks.

Attachments

• CUB Zero Turn Crop.jpg
    CUB Zero Turn Crop.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 6

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Zero Turn with a steering wheel?? YOU BET!!! My Cub Cadet RZT SX42 is the most amazing machine I've ever seen! It has all of the zero turn benefits without the draw backs.
1st - It is beyond amazing on hill sides/ditches. It will outperform almost any 2wd tractor and EVERY zero turn on the market. I'm talking "mountain goat!!"
2nd - The steering wheel is tremendously more comfortable than the lap bars.
3rd - it doesn't tear up the lawn when making sharp turns.
4th - (this is a biggy) it's very possible to drink beer while you mow! Not so much with a typical zero turn.
The list goes on and on.

OK...so...it IS a totally residential model...and I wish it had a nicer deck...but the benefits far out weigh the drawbacks.
If you want to keep it that way make sure you lift the false floor regularly and clean the debris out from around the steering gear & drive controls.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Farmer across the road has a 60" Cub W/Kawasaki & steering wheel. He said if it will hold on his hills, he'll buy it.

I see him way up on hillsides plenty. He is 78 & still making it happen.. Said he's not a fan of lap bars.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you want to keep it that way make sure you lift the false floor regularly and clean the debris out from around the steering gear & drive controls.
Had one of those in the shop this spring. Needed the drive belt replaced. What a PITA that was getting to the belt guard bolts.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Have a Ferris IS3100Z with 36hp Briggs and 61" ICD deck. Great mower. Does a good cut job at full speed. Doesn't bog down in tall grass. Will burn the deck belt up before it bogs the engine down. Ask me how i know this. The full suspension And seat make it very comfortable. Only mower i have ever had you can power drift around a corner. Not cheap but i would buy it again.

CAW

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought my first rider in 1983. It was a JD 216, which was a "plain Jane" for sure. No hydrostatic, but it was tough as nails. I am a machinist and an aircraft mechanic, and I maintain everything that I own, including the airplane, but the Deere required only routine maintenance for the ten years that I owned it. The only downside was having to replace the deck belt every year.

I sold the 216 for well over half of what I payed for it, and I bought a JD 425. It was rock solid as well, and I kept it for 18 years with the only maintenance beyond routine of replacing a carb. By 2011, my next door neighbor was manager of the local Deere store, and he convinced me to go to a zero turn. I mow about an acre and a half in my lawn, and the 930A cut my mowing time by more than half. I loved the machine, but the rough ride was kinda hard on a 71 year old guy. I added an aftermarket seat suspension system, and that helped. I had a coil breaking down two years ago, and I replaced both while I had it torn down. That was the only issue for the nine seasons with the 930A.

Two weeks ago, I got a wild hair, and made a visit to the Deere store. I had been researching the 994R, and I liked what I had learned. My neighbor brought me a demo the next day, and after mowing, I knew that I had found my "forever mower." It had the suspension seat, and I was blown away with the comfort. My neighbor gave me a great deal, and he delivered mine last week. I bought it with the 60" MOD deck, which is what I had on the 930. Now I have a diesel mower to park alongside my 3032E JD tractor. The fuel consumption is unbelievable on both machines.

That's my history of mowers, and if I could not have upgraded, I would certainly have bought each one of them again.