Would you buy the same mower again?

qmark

Threads
Bought a Scots (by JD) in 1999, still runs great but needed a better mower to get around 21/2acres. So found auctioned 2004 Grasshopper 725G2/52"/Kubota gas w/725hrs. Bought it for $3200 and have loved it since day one. Just did the service and she runs like a top. If I could afford it I would get a new Grasshopper or used if that mower was a Grasshopper.
I have the same only 61 in. deck. I did replace the gas with a diesel Kubota as I prefer diesels. Like the mower a lot.

pastor99

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a Hustler Raptor SD in 2014. I've been pretty pleased with it until recently. Until three weeks ago I would have said I'd buy one again. It broke then and it's not the breaking that has cooled my enthusiasm. It's the response by servicing dealers and by Hustler itself. I tried to get some help directly from Hustler in trying to determine the problem and appropriate repair. I emailed their support department and now, three weeks later, haven't heard a word from them. So, today, I wouldn't buy one again.

joebaehr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Loved my Cub Cadet 760ES for maneuvering around all the landscaping and other obstacles in the yard, but got a Gravely ZTXL42 last year and must say it gets the job done quickly and can maneuver around most but not all the landscaping. Just wish I had a little better traction on the unweighted rear tire when mowing some of the slopes in the yard, but yes would buy either one agian.

Ken22

Threads
Yes. Bought a Gravely ZTX 42" with Kohler 22 HP engine (pictured in my avatar) about 4 months ago. My first zero turn. It now has about 9 hours of relatively easy duty on it, cutting my 2/3 acre lot once a week. Has been trouble free and cuts very well. Added an onboard connector to a smart charger for the battery - it sits unused for most of the week. Only complaint is that the seat back presses against the engine cowling when slid to the rear, adding vibration to the seat and limiting space for my long legs. It's fun to operate and I actually look forward to cutting the lawn now. Dealer in Sarasota was excellent and at $3K delivered, I consider it a good value.

Observation: why do they paint these mowers to look like M&M's? You would think that residential models would have more automotive color finishes. I know each mfr has their own "identity" color, but there's no mistaking my mower's brand with "GRAVELY" proudly displayed on every side. Should have asked for an advertising discount. LOL!
If I remember right I read about someone with the same problem and was suggested to raise the seat and move the seat back ?? I never looked into it as I'm 5'7" and have my lap bars set as far ahead as they will go to be comfortable for me.

Threads
Ohhh.. I so remember when I first started on this site. I bought a John Deere D-160. Someone asked me " Why the hell did you buy that piece of crap for?" My only defense was, " Because it was a John Deere!". It never occurred to me that the bean counters had gotten hold of the company, and were just profiteering of the brand value.I figured it was a no brainer... Get a John Deere, and not worry about it's quality or durability. Maybe twenty years ago, but not today, not by a long shot.

Just because it's green, doesn't mean it's a John Deere!

Reading the manual blew my mind...

Warranty .... 120 hours, or ten years. So, if you used it to make money, and cut 40 hours a week.... It had a THREE WEEK warranty.

Having a rip roaring case of O.C.D., I read the manual to plan my service schedule. According to the manual, the Tuff Torque K46, is "sealed for life, and as such, never needs service" WTF?!?!

There isn't even a drain plug on it ( the trans - axle ). I put the first fifty hours on it, and then removed the trans-axle, and left it upside down over a bucket for a day. I refilled it with Amsoil heavy duty synthetic.

The new ones have a pre charged oil filter change system, you screw on the pre loaded filter, and, if needed, add more oil to fill it up. The end result is it's quick and easy, but you haven't changed all the oil out of it.

It's not that this is only happening with John Deere, it's pretty much all the brands are cashing in on brand value for short term profitability.

The "Pro-sumer" category, is crap, on it's best day.

For example, how can Stihl make a chainsaw that retails for $249.00, and goes on sale for $199.00? That means that Stilh made it for $50.00, made $50.00 profit on it ( 100% markup), Then, they sold it to Home Depot, who marked it up again, end retailed it for $200.00 to $250.00.. There's no such thing as a quality chainsaw that was manufactured for $50.00.

Briggs & Stratton has a new line of mowers under the sub brand "Quantum".. Their selling point is that you never change the oil, you just check and add as necessary. There is no drain plug. They figure that by the time it starts to burn oil, you're adding oil with fresh additives. By the time it dies, The wheels are bald, the cables are rusting, the deck is shot, and you'll just buy a new one.

Welcome to a disposable society...

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
Ohhh.. I so remember when I first started on this site. I bought a John Deere D-160. Someone asked me " Why the hell did you buy that piece of crap for?" My only defense was, " Because it was a John Deere!". It never occurred to me that the bean counters had gotten hold of the company, and were just profiteering of the brand value.I figured it was a no brainer... Get a John Deere, and not worry about it's quality or durability. Maybe twenty years ago, but not today, not by a long shot.

Just because it's green, doesn't mean it's a John Deere!

Reading the manual blew my mind...

Warranty .... 120 hours, or ten years. So, if you used it to make money, and cut 40 hours a week.... It had a THREE WEEK warranty.

Having a rip roaring case of O.C.D., I read the manual to plan my service schedule. According to the manual, the Tuff Torque K46, is "sealed for life, and as such, never needs service" WTF?!?!

There isn't even a drain plug on it ( the trans - axle ). I put the first fifty hours on it, and then removed the trans-axle, and left it upside down over a bucket for a day. I refilled it with Amsoil heavy duty synthetic.

The new ones have a pre charged oil filter change system, you screw on the pre loaded filter, and, if needed, add more oil to fill it up. The end result is it's quick and easy, but you haven't changed all the oil out of it.

It's not that this is only happening with John Deere, it's pretty much all the brands are cashing in on brand value for short term profitability.

The "Pro-sumer" category, is crap, on it's best day.

For example, how can Stihl make a chainsaw that retails for $249.00, and goes on sale for $199.00? That means that Stilh made it for $50.00, made $50.00 profit on it ( 100% markup), Then, they sold it to Home Depot, who marked it up again, end retailed it for $200.00 to $250.00.. There's no such thing as a quality chainsaw that was manufactured for $50.00.

Briggs & Stratton has a new line of mowers under the sub brand "Quantum".. Their selling point is that you never change the oil, you just check and add as necessary. There is no drain plug. They figure that by the time it starts to burn oil, you're adding oil with fresh additives. By the time it dies, The wheels are bald, the cables are rusting, the deck is shot, and you'll just buy a new one.

Welcome to a disposable society...

Definitely words of wisdom in your post.

Big box products are very rarely built to stand the test of time.

I remember buying a poulan chainsaw at a big box about 20 years ago. It had a 20" bar but right out of the box couldn't cut anything really. I swapped that out for a 16" Oregon and had better luck. But after a few weeks it was taking 10-12 pulls just to start.

I just saw the Stihl MS-170 a few weeks ago and was curious about their price point, and how a $159 saw could be worthy of the Stihl label. Well, it has the thinnest chain imaginable for a saw and I can't imagine it's good for anything other than cutting brush.

I wound up picking up an MS-194T with a 14" bar for limbing. Definitely a good saw but at $370 for a small trimming saw I'd expect that.

While Stihl has stayed out of the big box stores I'm sure they sell a lot of those MS171s but I doubt many serious cutters use them for any real cutting.

Fixitlane

Forum Newbie
Threads
Heck to the NO! Husqvarna ZR46. A disgrace to the Husqvarna name. AYP piece of junk.

Wonderboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a JD ZTR residential model. I use it on my 3-acre acreage. I have not had a lot of trouble with this mower, but more than I expected. I would not buy another JD ZTR, considering the price and value. My next mower would also be a commercial model with a hydraulic deck. I will decide on the brand/model when I am ready to purchase.

JPK Omaha

Threads
Here's one that everybody can chime in on. Would you buy the same mower again, or would you go with a different model? Do you have any regrets about your purchase?

I'll start. My first mower was a John Deere 365 with 48" deck. Loved that machine for 430 hours until we sold it. But I will say that the only thing different I would do is go up to a machine that had the power to handle a 60" deck instead of the 48" deck.

How about you?
I bought a Honda HRX217VKA about 3 or 4 years ago. The motor started leaking oil onto the deck from the beginning. Last fall I took it back to the dealer and they made some repair under warranty. We will see if it still leaks this spring. To answer your question, this was my second Honda because the first one lasted 12 years, however I believe Honda has lost the quality focus in their engine building department so I would not buy another at this time. I would probably go back to Toro.lawnmower oil leak Nov 2019 2.jpg

Dajanasa1

Forum Newbie
Threads
My first and only rider is a John Deere D120 with a 48 inch deck.
I would not buy another because of the Tuff-Torque trans-axle and the fact that John Deere shipped it with the wrong oil in it.
It should have come with synthetic gear oil, but JD chose to put cheaper oil in it.
By the time I became aware of the problem, the damage was done.
You must remove the trans-axle to change the oil, plus there is no way to check the amount of oil in the trans-axle while in the mower.
I have replaced the oil with the correct synthetic, but the trans-axle slips when climbing hills.
I must let the mower cool for about an hour, before I can finish.