Export thread

Would you buy the same mower again?

M

Muhammad

Here's one that everybody can chime in on. Would you buy the same mower again, or would you go with a different model? Do you have any regrets about your purchase?

I'll start. My first mower was a John Deere 365 with 48" deck. Loved that machine for 430 hours until we sold it. But I will say that the only thing different I would do is go up to a machine that had the power to handle a 60" deck instead of the 48" deck.

How about you?

StarTech

StarTech

Well I started out with a Ford riding mower. It was had good engine and transaxle wise but the deck was nothing but trouble as I was constantly having weld it. IN the end I use it sheet metal to do some body repairs on a '66 Ford pick-up. The truck probably would had a nervous breakdown if it was from the Murray.:LOL:

Then I went Murray which I simply wore out. Now I using a MTD 42" rider with an upgraded engine (21hp instead of the 16.5 hp it had).

Now if I was to buy a new mower it probably would be a zero turn with lap bars. This is mainly due to me working on and using them here on my six acres. I would however stay away from residential versions as I see too many of them in the shop for repairs. No particular brand preference even I do lean toward the JD or Hustler commercial line.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Between me and my Dad, we've owned three Cub Cadets over the years. I still have #3, but I wouldn't buy a new one. I don't think they're as good as they used to be.

R

Rivets

As most of you know I’m a Toro guy so I have a Super Recycler 20381 and an XL38 Toro tractor. Recycler is 3 years old and the tractor is 18 years old. My first mower was a steel wheeled reel mower, so I’ll stick with what I’ve got now.

K

keakar

Between me and my Dad, we've owned three Cub Cadets over the years. I still have #3, but I wouldn't buy a new one. I don't think they're as good as they used to be.
this is true for almost all brands, the thing i dont like about cub cadets are the deck gauges are thinner and rot out way faster then other brands

the LA and D series john deers are made in china and have plastic tranny housings and are made as you would expect cheap chinese crap to be.

the troy builts are the black and decker of lawn mowers, cheap, pretty reliable, but not high quality in any way

one of the best brands out there now to buy would be a husqvarna hands down

S

shaggyha

Kubota G23 would definitely buy the same again, outstanding piece of machinery

E

Eugene Onegin

Yes I will when the time comes ,right now I have a Kubota BX 2200 .

W

warrenw

I have owned my Honda hydro-static for 33 years. Still like new. No need to buy ever again.

F

frwillia

In 2004 I bought a ZD21 in partnership with my sister. Between us and my nephew we kept 5 acres of lawn and about two miles of horse trails mowed. The ZD21 was the first generation Kubota Diesel mower and had a lot of issues. It took a lot of work to maintain it including removing the deck every 50 hours to check the gear box oil level and grease the deck. It also was a low serial number and required overfilling the transmission to the point they offered a special tank modification to fill the while transmission case. I maintained it by the book other than I didn't change the mower deck gear box seals every couple of years like they recommended.

We sold it in 2018 with just under 2,000 hours on it, and bought a ZD1211. We looked at about every zero turn made, but my sister (5'-2, 100 lb. couldn't raise the foot push pedal with 60" decks. Neither could my wife, so all of those were rejected). So far the ZD1211, a third generation Kubota Diesel, is working well. The steering controls are much much better. The ZD21 had a lot of slip, the ZD1211 has none, so it's easier to drive. It's also much easier to maintain. There is no need to remove the deck every 50 hours to do routine maintenance. It is specified to go 200 hours between oil changes - the ZD21 was 100 hours. It has noticeably more power than the ZD21. I'm 78, so it will probably be the last mower I'll buy. But with a lawn this big to mow, if I had to buy another one, I'd buy it again. The biggest drawback to the ZD1211 is it's weight. It's quite a bit heavier than other professional zero turns.

C

cdrnet

I would certainly buy my WALKER MBK-23 again. It was fine with a 60" deck with ample power however not nimble enough over the rough stuff. However I eventually realised it was a 'one trick pony' and I needed another mower. Instead of buying another mower, I downgraded the deck. I now have a 42" deck that does it all. Cuts the lawns as well as the >10" rough stuff, plus I can get around trees easily and also through most spaces.

Great piece of kit with tons of attachments available and power to drive them all :)

E

eliascm

Here's one that everybody can chime in on. Would you buy the same mower again, or would you go with a different model? Do you have any regrets about your purchase?

I'll start. My first mower was a John Deere 365 with 48" deck. Loved that machine for 430 hours until we sold it. But I will say that the only thing different I would do is go up to a machine that had the power to handle a 60" deck instead of the 48" deck.

How about you?
I would certainly buy my WALKER MBK-23 again. It was fine with a 60" deck with ample power however not nimble enough over the rough stuff. However I eventually realised it was a 'one trick pony' and I needed another mower. Instead of buying another mower, I downgraded the deck. I now have a 42" deck that does it all. Cuts the lawns as well as the >10" rough stuff, plus I can get around trees easily and also through most spaces.

Great piece of kit with tons of attachments available and power to drive them all :)

E

evilrussell

Although it's only two years old, I bought a new Scag 52" Liberty Z with the large Kawasaki engine. I have mowed my 1.5 acres lot including clearing some very high brush. This thing has never even began to bog down! Still operates as it did the day I bought it. So I would definitely buy this one again.

gotomow

gotomow

The JD x350 I would definitely buy again. Love the mower, it works as advertised and does everything as it's suppose to . The Honda HRX217 I would not buy again. Horrible design that keeps the trans gears engaged and cheap plastic bushings supporting the drive shaft make this machine difficult to use & hard to pull back on. As the bushings heat up it makes the drive speed inconsistent as heck and harder to pull back on as you continue to mow. Adjusting the deck height is another frustration, arg! Before I got the JD it would pick up leaves in the fall, but unfortunately with it's crappy choke system just in time for the leaves its very hard to start in colder temps when I needed it most. Thank goodness it's just a trimmer now. Should have bought a Toro. The new Honda HRN series has apparently address these concerns if so I'll take a close look at it soon.

RustyAllen

RustyAllen

My Pop and I have owned 6 Economy Tractors since 1971, and will never buy something new to replace one. We will keep re-building what we have, so long as there are parts to be had. The decks can be patched, built new from scratch, engines can be rebuilt, cheap parts tractors can be purchased and used for parts. I would bet the house that my son will have them all going strong when another 50 years have gone by. No circuit boards and computers, no little ChiCom made plastic junk parts here.

R

Rupper75

I have had 3 mowers in the last 25 years, 2 years ago purchased a D140 John Deer, It has 170 Hours on it, been in the Shop 3 times ,due for the 4th time, I think most of the parts are Mfg in CHINA, the Right and Center blade shaft Bearing have been replaced 2 times, Hanger supports to the deck, Lift bracket have been rep, Left front wheel bearing , Seat Bracket spacer installed to have proper clearance to keep bracket from rubbing Frame,
Steering needs new tie rod ends and steering gears, 5 inches of play, never seen such poor quality product, Never purchase this product again

D

dsgreen3

Hustler Fastrak 54 yes I would has been very dependable Kawasaki engine always starts I have over 1300 hrs on it owned it since 2011.

E

eliascm

I Have a John Deere Z345R 42” Deck. This is the largest deck that will fit into my shed. It is a zero turn and I like it very much. I had a John Deere tractor before and had no problems, but I really wanted a zero turn. I spend less time mowing (I have about a half acre yard) and enjoy it more. The zero turn feature helps speed up the mowing, of course, but I think the mower also moves faster. Yes, I would buy it again.

G

Grouse09

I bought a 2010 Grasshopper 723K off off Craigslist in 2016. It had 260 hours on it. Now, it has 570 hours and has been great for our 5 acres of Hilly irrigated lawn. So glad I bought it with the vacuum system for the leaves. Its been a great fit for me.

J

Joezera

How about you?
I bought a Toro Timecutter model 74778 which has a nice cutting width and the best feature for me is that it is equipped with shock absorbing equipment for the seating area of the mower. I live in the country and our yard is quite rough due to crayfish activity etc. I am elderly now and my back just cannot stand the jarring ride of riding mowers without the shock absorbing feature. The only downside of the unit I have is that I wish the fuel tank had higher capacity. I see commercial units that have fuel tanks on both sides. I was able to get this unit through my dealer on a 0% 24 month time payment arrangement. We have one more payment to make and then it is all ours. Another feature I like about this unit is that it is a zero-turn type. It replaced an older Cub Cadet which was not a zero-turn type. I find the lever steering much easier (power operated) than manual steering. It makes it easier on my shoulders and neck while mowing. I use the mower to handle up to 4 acres or sometimes less. We have a total of 15.25 acres and the rest of the property is handled by a John Deere 5105 AWD tractor.

Joe

R

RMHGA

How about you?
I bought a 2008 Bad Boy ZT. It has been a great mower with no real problems. I mow several acres. I have never had a riding mower last 12 years and still be mowing great. I also have a 2010 Cub Cadet 54" that I use it on steep banks. I am not sure I would replace it with another Cub Cadet.

A

AJammo

I come from a wet 4 acres with quick growing grass which my Kubota 3150 60" midmounted deck copes with well. I would definitely get one again. A quarter of my block needs to be hand mowed but my Toro Timemaster became a Timewaster until I removed the guard over the exit chute. This improved things a bit and it is a great mower when the grass is dry. If it is wet however the deck still clogs up solid after 20 yards.

Richandtd

Richandtd

My first riding mower a used Snaper with 30 inch cut served me well in town. Moved to the country and got a new 07 John Deere X324 to cut 4 acres and it still does a good but wife told me the grass cutting in the heat was bad for me so we got a used 07 John Deere 1545 with a 72 inch front flex 7 Iron deck and it has a cab and A/C and heat. The 3 spindels require no grease cause they are little gear boxes with the same oil the the transmission has. Now I also cut our Ruritan club 3 acres. This used mower was less expensive than the diesel Z turns are new and does a fantastic job cutting. It makes my green field look like a lawn. I really enjoy cutting grass and this my friends will be my mower until I am no longer here. My X324 still goes into the ditch and does a great job there as my trim mower. 18069336-C36E-402E-BFC8-ABE726FA9349.jpeg

arrow444m

arrow444m

No, I would not buy the same mower.. Purchased a 2017 Scag Turf tiger for 14,200. Reasons: To heavy. I have a 37 Hp Vanguard EFI on it, to much horse power for every day mowing.
You can buy a tiger cat 2 with the velocity deck @ 9,000 No deference in quality cut, a lot lighter, and cheaper. save over 5,000. This mower will be up for sale soon... 400 hours

D

ddbtdd

It is now 8 years old and I am happy my Snapper Pro S150xt has lived up to its expectations. I have done all the required maintenance and it has never been in to the shop. Just oil changes, tune ups , sharpening and adjustments. The 20hp Kaw has been a strong runner though just enough (maybe a little under powered) as a professional unit in use by a home owner.
I have no regrets with my purchase but to do it over again, I would buy something a little lighter in weight. At 1107lbs with the 48" deck, I never realized my property has the wet spots that it does. My previous lighter duty, light weight mowers never found those spots. The only other thing I don't like is the paint peeling and chipping off some of the welds.

K

kjonxx

Ariens still using my RM830e and love the bagger. Last year I made a raker blade and had nothing left to bag. Bought this one in 1991 and on 2nd engine and lmost ready for the 3rd. I love it cause it gets around everything.

Smithsonite

Smithsonite

I bought a Husqvarna M-ZT 52 in June, 2014 for my 2.5 acre yard. The two problems were immediate, since I bought it in a crate. I should've went over the thing a bit closer when I first got it. The plastic ball on the throttle fell off and disappeared in the yard somewhere, never to be found again (that was just poor QC, in my opinion), and one of the bolts to the control levers loosened and fell out as well. Throttle was fixed with a wad of electrical tape, and the control I threw a new bolt in with a nyloc nut. Other than that, it's been great. Never saw myself spending so much money just to mow, but I'll have this thing for decades. She's built pretty good! Only have about 90 mowing hours on her so far, so she's still fairly new, but at that rate, I should get a long service life out of it. Once a season, I change the oil and grease everything up. All Amsoil products.

As a OPE and small engine mechanic, I've seen and dealt with alot of junk coming out of box stores. I figured best to buy something new after ALOT of research, so I can get my mowing done without having to turn wrenches on my own stuff. Prior to this, I had a Home Depot John Deere L100 with a 17 HP engine and a 42" deck & a bagger - only had that for 2 seasons. It wasn't quite enough machine for my lack of keeping up with the lawn here. Next one was a John Deere G110 with a Kohler Command 25 (that blew both head gaskets at 160 hours! Wasn't too happy about that, but the repair only cost me $20 for a pair of updated gaskets) and a 54" deck and Power Bagger system. That did a real nice job on the lawn. Slightly better looking job than the Husqvarna does, if I'm honest. I was tired of mowing around the 10 fruit trees, giant 1980's satellite dish, blueberry patch, and large pine with a lawn tractor. The Z-turn made life so much easier there.

About the only thing I wish the M-ZT had was suspension. My yard ain't getting any smoother ... and I certainly ain't getting any younger. Guess I need to dial the speed back a notch. ?

I threw some of those "Lee-press-on" wheel covers on there, as a neighborhood joke. They grew on me. If only I could get raised white letter tires, she'd be perfect! :LOL:F4EB7A15-7C2F-4714-89D6-A0230A39A570_1_105_c.jpeg

AC5410B9-875D-4500-BBEC-1464DDF59225.jpeg

A6EE7E46-9581-4B4C-9453-D709BE5D6818.jpeg

D

DHook

Bought a husqvarna last year about this time and I'd buy the mower again but would buy from someplace else. Lowe's screwed me on the $200 rebate. Love the mower though. No problems so far. Got the extended warranty just in case.

Goose0052

Goose0052

How about you?
No. I have Ariens RM 1028. To hard to find parts for and ones I did find dealers and private seller want way to much for. Do not get me wrong it cuts great.

S

Shoesole

I have to agree with you about the Husqvarna. I bought a 48" cut zero turn commercial model two years ago after having used a Dixie Chopper for several years. The Dixie Chopper was a wonderful machine but it requires lots of maintenance and eats belts up every couple of years. The Husqvara is an absolute dream machine, so easy to maintain and still haven't had to replace a belt on it in over two years!
this is true for almost all brands, the thing i dont like about cub cadets are the deck gauges are thinner and rot out way faster then other brands

the LA and D series john deers are made in china and have plastic tranny housings and are made as you would expect cheap chinese crap to be.

the troy builts are the black and decker of lawn mowers, cheap, pretty reliable, but not high quality in any way

G

Gator325

How about you?

L

lucky

Have a Husqvarna 48" zero-turn , fab deck . Had almost 9 years , cutting 2 ac. at lease once a week , here in fl. Still runs like new , as long as you keep up with maintaining , grease fitting , oil , air filter , blade ( here in fl. because in the sandy soil , they wear out sooner , and keep them sharp ) . So yes I would buy another one , Had riding mowers , this Zero Turn makes mowing fun and a lot lease time , All be safe and wash them HANDS .

A

ab38off

For 5-years I have had a Hustler Raptor SD 48” with Kawasaki motor and installed a Tornado bagger with blower. I have thick dense grass that when wet will plug the chute when taking off too much too fast. Just had my first drive belt break the other day and wasn’t a big deal to replace. The hydros are tough to change oil but most other maintenance is fairly easy. Needed the tilt up deck because it gets plugged and requires a jack to get cleaned several times a year. The hydros get out of sync speed wise for some reason. It would be a great mower if I just blew the grass out the side.
I would try to get a used higher HP commercial model with better blower bag and a tilt up deck if I had to do all over.

G

Gator325

How about you?
My last riding mower was the Troy-Bilt Pony 42. It did well for the first two years. Then a valve lifter cracked and had to be replaced. A few months later the other one broke. This year the flywheel cracked and the slot for the flywheel key has widened. Can not find another powermore engine for it. Won't buy another Troy-bilt or anything made in China. My service center said they are using cheap steel. He had several of the same brand in his shop for repair.

H

Heinz W

I bought a JD z740R, my first ZTR, last year for 3 acres of rough, uneven terrain aka our yard. 48" deck because of the obstacles and dips. Spent more than I really wanted, but I liked this machine better than any of the others I tried and I wanted to be sure it would last. Built like a tank. Delivered last May, it instantly changed my mowing game. Big time saver and cuts beautifully. In fact, I spend more time trimming and push mowing a few small areas than do on the 740R.

I absolutely would buy this machine again.

K

Kengineer

On the second year owning my Cub Cadet Pro Z 100, by far the best mower I have ever owned. A zero turn with a steering wheel that holds well when on grades in my yard. I would definitely buy this mower again.

D

dinkybear

Honda 21" Quadracut (electric start, 3 in 1 mulching mower) purchased 04/17. Runs beautifully and a welcome respite from the Craftsman piece of junk I had previously. Would purchase any Honda mower again in a heartbeat.

B

babiarz

I would definitely buy my Walker mower MTEFI (26.0 HP) (2003) still going strong. I mow about 3 acres on my farm, even mows wet grass and I use the
collected grass clippings for compost.

B

blip

How about you?
I have owned several zero turn mowers. Starting with a Grasshopper 48", then an Exmark Lazer z 52" then an Exmark Frontrunner 52".
Last year I bought a Toro Titan 2000 60" with "easy ride". The easy ride platform sold me plus I wanted to get rid of the tail wheel. Man I wish I had that Frontrunner back. This mower is the roughest riding unit I have ever used. If you hit a dip or hollow with one wheel it lurches & jumps like a bronco. The easy ride is a joke. I've tried every setting with no relief. No anti-scalp wheels on the rear of the deck causes it to scalp in uneven terrain. I hate this mower & cuss every time I use it. On flat even ground it cuts very nice. Mechanically it's very sound.

A

alanb21

If I could, I would certainly buy another if needed. My mower of choice is the Gravely 816. Some will say that this is a tractor and not a mower. Put either deck on, it's a mower. The other attachments make it a tractor.. I like it so much I now have two of them. They are nearing the 50 year mark and still going strong.

S

spider4446

2006 Gravely Hvz2350. It’s a residential model as I only mow an acre or so at 3 properties. It’s been great so far. Magnets came off the flywheel last year but that’s about it. I would buy again.

P

PLB82

Craftsman T150, 19 hp, 46" cut: I would never buy this mower again: Have had it for a year now: And have had nothing but trouble out of it: And very little help through Tech Support: Previously owned a John Deere and a Husquavarna: Both 42" cut: And were fine mowers: And tech support was helpful when needed:

C

cwolsborn

I had a 21 inch Honda with aluminum deck and hydro-static drive. It lasted 25 years. When we moved I had a small front yard so I replaced it with a Craftsman from Lowe's. I use Craftsman hand tools, but the mower was a big mistake. It didn't work properly out of the box, so I returned it. Went back to my friends at Moen Machinery, Gresham Oregon, and bought a new Honda similar to my old one. Paid more but got a mower that will last many years rather than a couple of seasons.

northcreeek262

northcreeek262

I mow 2.5 acres with a Jacobsen 72" TurfCat 628D. It has 4 wheel drive and is powered by a Kubota diesel . It has been awesome for my rough uneven lawn that is often wet in spots. This was a major upgrade from my International 184 Loboy tractor with Woods 60" belly mower.100_4331.jpg

T

Thin & Crispy

Have a Husqvarna 48" zero-turn , fab deck . Had almost 9 years , cutting 2 ac. at lease once a week , here in fl. Still runs like new , as long as you keep up with maintaining , grease fitting , oil , air filter , blade ( here in fl. because in the sandy soil , they wear out sooner , and keep them sharp ) . So yes I would buy another one , Had riding mowers , this Zero Turn makes mowing fun and a lot lease time , All be safe and wash them HANDS .
Is your model number Z248F? It's what I have. I wish I could have bought a Z254F with a 54" deck but it didn't become available until 2016. I bought my Z2348F in 2015.

C

Clay1969

We just picked up an Ariens Apex zero turn and love it. It's only got about 4 hours on it but so far it's doing a lot better on our property than the Dixon Kodiak ztr (2008 model) we got rid of. As for regular riders, I would much rather have a 1970's to 1980's straight axle gear tractor than any of the pos throwaway hydro weakling mowers produced today.

T

Thin & Crispy

I have a Husqvarna Z248F zero turn mower with a 48" fabricated deck. When I bought this mower, I really wanted a 54" deck but the 48" was the biggest available. I figured if they ever decided to offer this mower with a 54" deck, they'd probably call it a Z254F. Well, the year after I bought the 48" mower, they did come out with the Z254F mower. If I could have bought the 54" mower, the rear wheels would not contact shrubbery and trees when I make tight turns around them; and the wheels would not run over the mulch around trees when I make tight turns around it. Bottom line is: the extra 3" of cutting width would make a big difference and I would be much happier with my mower if I could keep the wheels three more inches away from stuff I'm mowing around. Don't buy the Z248F. Buy the Z254F.

jefferis

jefferis

I have 2 mowers I would not buy again. The first is a self propelled Subaru electric start EA 175v I love the mower but can't get parts for it. Subaru has abandoned small engines. The second is a Troy Built zero turn I bought from Lowes for about $2k. I've had trouble since less than 25 hours on it with slippage in steering controls.

T

TXWhirlyBird

My first riding lawn mower was purchased in 2008, and I got a Cub Cadet LT1045. I still have it 12 years later and it has around 200 hours on it. I really like the machine and the way it cuts, etc... but if I could purchase a great zero-turn mower with a 60-inch deck with mulching blades... I think I'd be in heaven. I've driven my mother-in-law's zero turn and it took some getting used to but before too long I had pretty good control over it.

N

nealinhudson

I owned a 61" Turf Tiger for 17 years and had almost zero problems with it. The only replacement parts were deck spindles, and obviously blades and front tires. I used it to mow about 3-4 acres of fairly rough and often dusty "lawn" in TX. Moved to WI, to a smaller acreage so left the TT behind, and replaced it with a JD 48" Z355R zero turn. By comparison, it is somewhat flimsy and a lightweight, but I understand it is a consumer model whereas the Skag is a commercial mower, costing 4X as much. However, in the first 20 hours, I had 3 warranty items that needed attention; since then it has been OK. The other thing that really irritates me is that there is a front lift arm that squeaks constantly. The manual even acknowledges that this will happen and advises lubrication to "prevent or minimize" squeaking. Fer cryin' out loud, JD engineers couldn't figure out a simple way to prevent this with teflon fittings, for example?? Shameful. Also, below 50 degrees it is difficult to start, and the service center can't do anything about it, says they are all like that. (I REALLY have never liked Briggs engines.) Using 91 octane non-corn-juice gas, by the way.

No, would not buy a JD consumer model again.

O

OrtisEvans

I keep equipment for a long time, so my experience is not current, but I'll share it anyway.

I have a 25 yo John Deere 316 with an Onan engine. It has been good except for:
-poor quality safety interlock switches. I had to bypass them all to keep it working
-Starter engagement problems. Twice, the starter gear and the flywheel ring gear have chewed each other up and had to be replaced
The engine and drive train have held up well. Squirrels have chewed through the plastic gas tank a couple of times, so I am not a fan of plastic tanks.

I also have a ~20 yo Kubota 2100 HSD with a five foot deck. It has been nearly trouble-free.

Finally, I have a 1954 Ford NAA with a six-foot deck. It had been neglected, and I had to do some work on it, but it has been quite reliable.

Beamster

Beamster

I'd plow the grass under or buy a herd of goats before I'd buy a TORO Super Recycler again.
Total junk despite being rated #1 pick by a popular review publication. I should have stuck with John Deeres or Lawn Boys that came before.

nortonbyk

nortonbyk

You may not believe it, but last year I sold my mid 70"s Kubota G5200 which I abused since new. I mowed, towed, and cleared hunting trails with that machine. It was indestructible. It even had the original tires on it when sold. I sold it because the deck linkage was so worn out that I couldn't raise it anymore. I wanted to buy another Kubota, but now that I'm retired, the price point was prohibitive. I went to my local JD dealer and bought an X390 gasser with a 52" deck. It does not use as much metal as a Kubota, and its gas use sucks as compared to the diesel. Here on the farm, I have farm fuel storage for other equipment so I wish it was a diesel. I only have one summer on the Deere so only time will tell.

M

MikeOC

I purchased a Honda HX 215 in June of 1994, and continue to use it today. With regular maintenance and a couple of carb kits over the years, it still starts easily and runs well. This year, I replaced both output shaft seals on the hydrostatic transmission, with thanks for some guidance from this forum. At this point, I doubt I will ever replace it, but if I had to, I would probably look for a used model like mine, with an intact deck because the new Honda mowers with the hydrostatic transmission have a belt drive rather than a shaft drive. To me, this is a big deal due to the amount of work it takes to change the drive belt and the frequency of the changes.
The first summer with the mower, I picked up a rock the peeled open the right side of the aluminum body. My repair may have been unusual but it worked, and has lasted this long. I used a piece of Marine grade1/8” aluminum to line the inside of the broken side of the deck, held in place with JB weld and #10 stainless steel bolts. It is still intact today. Thanks for the opportunity to share this. if I did have to buy a new mower, yes it would be a Honda.
M

U

user4579

How about you?
I have had many different brands in my life. (I'm 64) most all of them have been the cheaper types (MTD Brands) to the Allis, Dixon and Simplicity. All did the job well if you used them for what they were designed for, just mowing a smaller yards, but I uses them for big yards. So every 5 to 7 years I had to get another. They were just totally wore out from front to back. Now I have a Grasshopper 720K that I bought used. This is one Great mower! I could have saved myself a ton of money over the years if I would have gotten a machine that is built like this from the start.

T

Tokslut

I love my old Ventrac 3000,if that thing could lift a little more would be great!

So I may buy a different "utility carrier" next time. Maybe an Avant 4 or 5 series (Finland made) but is very expensive :(

avant.PNG

H

Honest Abe

I bought a Case 108, with a blower in 1981, and used it for 25 years. We bought a new property so I made the switch to a zero-turn and my son took the Case and still has in running. The sad part is that I made the mistake of buying a "Gravely ZT2148XL". I know fully understand why the term "Grave" is in the name, as I should have buried it right after the engine blew up with only 278 hours on the machine.1f92c[1].png This happened after having to replace all the deck spindles twice. I finally went and learned how to rebuild the spindles myself, for 1/10th the cost; and, and no more time since if I had to replace a spindle then I had time to rebuild it while the machine sat idle. The only reason this machine is still being maintained for regular use is because it fits between all our trees perfectly. There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that I'd ever recommend a Gravely to anyone, at least that I liked . . .

C

CGVande55

I've had a Husqvarna for over 8 years now, and after the issues with the deck and rear axle, no more. My next tractor/mower will be a Kubota. I'm not a JD lover.

As to your comment on the plastic rear transaxles, their manufactured by Tuff Tork, the same company that manufactures over 98% of transaxles used in the mower industry. And they're worse than the K46. The low end junk of the line. Most riders on the market today would be better off if they were equipped with the K66 or better.

C

CGVande55

Yes I will when the time comes ,right now I have a Kubota BX 2200 .
What's your repair rate on the Kubota? Looking at it as my next purchase.

Ida-Boy

Ida-Boy

Well, yes... if I could afford it. My Grasshopper is 20 years old and still running strong and no oil usage, but I did have to rebuild the bottom side of the deck over the winter. Even with my annual cleaning and coating with paint when putting away for the winter the tin rusted out that led to trails of grass being left behind.
And my Honda SXA215 is still running after 25 years but a good carb cleaning is required even though I use rec fuel for winter storage.
I say I made the right choice because some riding mowers purchased at big box stores would have long ago given up the ship.

E

Eliot Ness

J

justplain bill

A couple years ago I bought a 24-48 Husqvarna used it a few times, but had trouble getting off and on. Probably just me at 78 years old and have arthritis real bad. Anyway, I sold it with only 14 hours on the hour meter. Just went back to using my old Troy Built. If I had it to do over, I would buy me a John Deere.

R

rpus

I have and still use my first Toro 16785 side discharge mower. I am fond of these old side discharge units and currently own 3.

E

Eliot Ness

When we bought our house 3 years ago I bought the owners 54" Hustler Raptor SD and have been very pleased with it. I've got a little over 3 acres to mow and at a tad over 400 hours the Hustler is still doing great. Aside from oil and filter changes, all I've had to contend with was a belt change (my novice mistake) and a resharpening of the blades. If I had to buy another mower tomorrow it would be another Hustler.

M

Muhammad

I love my old Ventrac 3000,if that thing could lift a little more would be great!

So I may buy a different "utility carrier" next time. Maybe an Avant 4 or 5 series (Finland made) but is very expensive :(

View attachment 52153

Have you looked into powertrac? They're American made and reasonably priced.

Smithsonite

Smithsonite

I just tore down the Kawasaki engine on a John Deere LX280 - Kawasaki FH580V. Owner snapped a bolt off in the end of the crank, and I lost half an EZ-Out trying to extract it ... even heated with acetylene! Anyway, unit has 380 hours on it. Threw a used crank in it, and during the process of putting everything back together (with new gaskets and seals), I noticed one valve seal moving up and down with the valve when I had the heads off. Hmmm. Closer look revealed the exhaust valve guide on one cylinder was about to fall right out of the head! Was able to tap it back in and stake it with a punch.

Just FYI to J/D owners! If you're burning oil, this is probably why!

https://postimg.cc/njn9NYmC

https://postimg.cc/BtBfq5KJ

Padroo

Padroo

I have owned several zero turn mowers. Starting with a Grasshopper 48", then an Exmark Lazer z 52" then an Exmark Frontrunner 52".
Last year I bought a Toro Titan 2000 60" with "easy ride". The easy ride platform sold me plus I wanted to get rid of the tail wheel. Man I wish I had that Frontrunner back. This mower is the roughest riding unit I have ever used. If you hit a dip or hollow with one wheel it lurches & jumps like a bronco. The easy ride is a joke. I've tried every setting with no relief. No anti-scalp wheels on the rear of the deck causes it to scalp in uneven terrain. I hate this mower & cuss every time I use it. On flat even ground it cuts very nice. Mechanically it's very sound.

This is the My Ride system at work.
This is the Ferris.

B

bodean

How about you?
We love our Ferris Z-turn mowers. I started out with the IS 500, and liked it so much that when it came time to replace the in-laws worn out Craftsman rider, I bought them a Ferris IS 700. The 700 was a big improvement over the 500. Since both the IS 500 and 700 models have been discontinued, my next one will be the newer IS 800 model, which has a better seat, smoother suspension, and Even larger wheels than the IS700 to smooth out the bumpy areas. All of these come with either 52” or 60” decks. I prefer the 52” deck due to the fact that it fits in between the many ornaments, trees, and bushes that adorn our immediate 1.5 acre lot.

T

tadawson

Honda HR215SA bought in 1989. Other than needing to rering the GXV140 last year after 30 years of use, it's been flawless, and I would buy it again in a heaetbeat. Unfortunately, Honda has cheapened/downgraded everything such that that is not an option, but I have been thinking hard about buying another one used for another property.

tom3

tom3

Twelve year old John Deere L130 riding mower. Family had several JD mowers over the years, really well built and good service. This one was a great mower when new, Kohler twin purrs, mows excellent, easy service. Then at just under 300 hours the hydro starting wasting away. I then learned about the Tuff Torq throwaway transaxle. Powered metal differential gears, gears and hydraulics running in the same oil that gets full of steel particles from those gears. Took it apart, cleaned out the shrapnel and filled with thicker oil. Got another 200 hours out of it. Replaced with a Peerless unit with separate units, and going good at near 700 hours now. Never, ever buy any mower with the Tuff Torq non-serviceable hydrostatic transmission. And just about all lower priced (and higher priced sometimes) have that unit under the back end.

D

DCWGC

How about you?
I had my 1st Simplicity (Allis Brand) in the 80s. Moved to smaller property then back to larger. I bought another Used Simplicity. 96 model CH20. 20hp Kohler. 60 in deck. Bought because I loved the 1st so much. Hr meter broken but it gets several hours use weekly in the NC summers. I've rigged a 2" ball to it and use to move boats, trailers, and stuff around the yard. No oil use. Just replaced starter and fuel pump. Other wise only major work was welding repairs on mower deck. Would I buy another one. You bet!!

dwross

dwross

I have had just two walk behind mowers, both Lawn-Boys purchased in the 70"s. The only difference, the second one, 1978 purchase, is self-propelled. I would buy either machine again in a minute. But alas, no more 2-cycle mowers. These machines were sturdy, reliable and easily maintained. I am disappointed with Lawn-Boys produced today by Toro.

Today, if I needed to replace my 1978 Lawn-Boy, I probably would opt for one of the battery powered mowers. I have no idea what brand or model I would choose.

P

Proftomda

I have a 2008 Yardman self propelled with a 5.0 Honda GCV160, a 2008 Lawn Boy self propelled with a 6.5 Briggs and Stratton, a 2003 Craftsman DYT4000 riding mower with a Kohler Courage 18 and a 2016 Kubota BX2370 with a 60 inch mower. They are all built better than the new stuff at the stores, even the Walmart Yardman. The Craftsman was manufactured by Husqvarna and has a steel hood, aluminum tuff torque rear axle and feels so solid compared to the new stuff. The Kubota of course is a different animal and built to a much higher commercial standard. The 60 inch deck with mulching kit does wonderful. I would rebuild all of these rather than buy the new. The secret is cleaning after every use lubrication and lots of oil changes.

W

War Eagle

Well, if you want to go way "back in the day," I started with a manual walk behind reel mower - the kind where the traction of the wheels on turf would would spin a cylinder of blades past a stationary bar. Do NOT want to go back to that. After a series of Craftsman riding lawn tractors and garden tractors (all of which were real workhorses in their day), we now have a Scag Liberty-Z 48". Love it. More importantly, my wife absolutely LOVES it. She says mowing with it is like dancing, and I'm happy to let her dance to her heart's content.

C

cparktd

Well, I made enough money with push mowers to buy a car and a house and pay CASH for them by age 18, (it was a cheap crappy condemned house to fix up) But no way I'd buy another push mower! I bought a used Simplicity 44 inch Zero turn and used that on my smallish city lot and it made quick work of a small tight yard for a few years but I would NOT buy one of those again due to inherent pump related problems.
Then... 5 Years ago I moved to a 4 acre lot and after shopping all the local dealers and brands bought a Ferris 2100z ZTR, 28 HP fuel injected, 61" with coil-over shock suspension. It is amazing! If it was stolen today I would buy another Ferris tomorrow. I had to upgrade to a bigger utility trailer for it! No mowing for hire these days, just personal stuff.IMG_2771.jpg

W

Wdwerker

I had a Honda tractor type riding mower that was wonderful for 20 years or so. But Honda quit making those machines many years ago. 2 years ago I bought a EGO 56 volt LM2100SP and I love it ! Folds up to take less space in the garage. Variable speed self propelled. Motor increases power when needed to prevent it from bogging down. Battery lets me mow my 1/4 acre if I mow twice a month. Might have to charge once if I’ve let the grass get too tall. Charges in less than an hour. I flip it on its side and clean the underside with a toilet brush before I put it away. I can stop multiple times while mowing to pick up sticks and it starts instantly every single time. No gas to buy, haul and pour. No oil to check. Flip to clean without anything spilling. Catcher works fine when I bother to use it. Mulches the clippings nicely so that’s what I normally do. Single point height adjustment is nice. I would definitely buy another one. Might get a chainsaw or leaf blower this year that uses the same battery.

N

northwestpat

After years of maintaining gas-powered mowers and other garden equipment and getting tired of it, I've been converting over to battery-powered equipment - including my first riding mower. I purchased a Ryobi RM-480E with a 38-inch deck. We have about 6 acres and I use it to cut the lawn and field grass on about half of it. Ok, for you old-school guys, I still use my John Deere 4110 diesel tractor for the other jobs. The Ryobi has done the job well. It is stable on hills and doubles as a utility cart. I can also drive it up on ramps and it fits perfectly in my 6-foot VW pickup bed. I can easily tow a utility cart or my DR chipper. I wished it had an accessory tool carrier, but didn't. So I mounted an ATV carrier on the back, as you can see in the photo. It will cut for a full 2.5 hours before it shuts off the mower and requires a charge. Thankfully it has a reserve to let you drive back to the shop. At the time I purchased it, it was one of the few battery-powered riding mowers out there. Now Ryobi has a Zero-turn, 42 inch deck mower. I costs a lot more than my 38 inch model. But I am happy with it and would probably purchase it again - although I may have opted for the zero-turn if it was available when I purchased mine.

Attachments

B

BerryBill

We have two mowers for our acreage, a Ferris 700 Z and a Kubota GS 1800 diesel. Both are great mowers but if I ever buy another it will be a Kubota rear discharge with a Diesel engine. Why? Because we have an orchard with rows of berry bushes with grass between and a regular side discharge builds up clippings at he base of the rows.
The Ferris has a mulch kit and we use it for that area but if I’m a few days late getting it cut there is a little windrow of clippings that need to be spread out.

Q

qmark

So I have a Hopper 725 G2 from the early 2000s. It now has about 1400 hours. I got tired of the Kubota gas engine though it is still in good shape and replaced it with a Kubota turbo diesel. I love the economy and the power. It is built basically with off the shelf industrial bearings and many other parts so it is easy to get parts. I need the front deck for getting under trees and bushes. I also mount a sprayer on the deck for spraying in our orchard. So, if replacing which won't be anytime soon I would look first to Grasshopper.

J

john66

I bought a Troybilt Bronco from Lowes 4 yrs ago.It was supposedly new,,,well it was 1 someone bought and used it and brought it back(someone cleaned it up very very well before returning it)This thing has been nothing but PROBLEMS sinse after about 3 weeks of use.Starters,,carbs,,belts,,relays,,every year.I keep hopping the thing would catch fire one day lol.My neighbors have Cubs and a Huskavarna(same age as my TB) with the same Kohler motor and they have nothing but problems with these riders also.I realise 90% of these riders all come from the same company/assembly lines etc,,so it must be due to a specific year or model as to why we are getting JUNK when buying a new rider.I know a few ppl who have had bad luck with the newer style Briggs but not near as many(in my area in central Illinois) have issues with the Briggs as the Kohlers.So last year around june I bought the big walk behind 33 inch from CUB.I know a guy who works in the dealership.He told me if I have any issues with it to call and tell him about it.So far after last mowing season and so far of the start of this mowing season everything is great on the mower.It mows nice and for me it is easy to use and move and control and the walking is good exercise.Hopefully this walk behind will continue to be a GOOD one.

L

LeakyGasket

I have a Hustler SD 54". If I ever get another, it will be a Grasshopper with front deck that goes vertical. At 74, I am tired of crawling around under the deck to change the blades. There is nothing wrong with the Hustler, and I don't like the flip deck Hustler for various reasons.

R

robbio

I have had two John Deere D110 riding mowers which I bought at Lowes. I sold the first one to a friend after 650 hours and bought another. I mow about an acre and use my lawn tractor to tow a 4' x 8' trailer a lot. I also tow my firewood splitter to my firewood work area. I have a MF 35 and a Mahindra 8560 4wd, but the little JD D110 is so convenient for little jobs I use it often. I replaced the mower deck (42") two years ago and then had to replace the engine last year. It now has a briggs and stratton professional series 19 hp which I'm told is a much better motor than the original JD. I have been using non-ethanol gas to try to avoid problems. I think JD put a less reliable motor in my second D110 so I don't know if I would buy another D110. The first D110 is still going strong.

G

gene_stl

I moved almost four years ago and bought a Hustler Raptor 54 inch flip up. I have a 1.9 acre lot and about 60,000 square feet to mow.

It has a 27hp Kohler engine which has been great and always starts immediately. It mows great. It had a very bumpy ride on my wavey lot so I bought the springey front swivel wheels. They helped.

It has a big persistant problem. The fuel gauge stops working. There also seem to be other electrical problems. The dealer picked it up and put a new tank and sensor in it. The new one stopped working immediately. And the new tank was made of black polyethylene so now you can't see how much fuel is in the tank.
The flip up switching is the other problem. You have to reach in and push a button that isn't supposed to be pushed to make the flip up feature work.
I don't know if the dealer mis wired something or whether this is part of the other electrical problems.

It has a fabricated deck but some of the guide wheel brackets have bent. The yellow powder coating has peeled.

If I had it to do over I would buy something better I think. You always should buy a better one. Buying the cheaper one is always false economy in my mower buying experience. (69 years old)

I also have an Ariens 21-22 inch self propelled push mower. It sat in the garage a long time. I put gas in it and it started on the first yank. and has continued to do so.

R

Robbiepep

We have a 1/3rd acre cottage garden in UK. Lots of flower beds, bushes, plants and shrubs to negotiate around. I bought a new Honda HR173 lawnmower in 1986. That mower has served me very well and is now used to chop and bag up hedge cuttings as they fall on the lawn. I bought a secondhand Honda HR173 in excellent condition in 2010. This one is now used for the grass cutting and achieving those stripes in the lawn.
Both machines still work great.
For my size of lawn these are fantastic and have never gone wrong save replacement pull start rope.
I also have a KAAZ LAWNFLITE PRO SARP 553 MOWER which I bought new in 2003. I thought this would be the ultimate machine to get for my plot but in reality there are too many obstacles to negotiate and although powered it is a very heavy machine. This one gets very little use.

Would I buy the same again? Well I have and would always choose Honda for my size of plot.

Horses for courses I guess and each of us will usually stick with what works best on our individual plots.

E

ErnieN85

No doubt Grasshopper 737G2 best cutting most reliable & versital Mower I have ever had

Frank Gambino

Frank Gambino

Well I started out with a Ford riding mower. It was had good engine and transaxle wise but the deck was nothing but trouble as I was constantly having weld it. IN the end I use it sheet metal to do some body repairs on a '66 Ford pick-up. The truck probably would had a nervous breakdown if it was from the Murray.:LOL:

Then I went Murray which I simply wore out. Now I using a MTD 42" rider with an upgraded engine (21hp instead of the 16.5 hp it had).

Now if I was to buy a new mower it probably would be a zero turn with lap bars. This is mainly due to me working on and using them here on my six acres. I would however stay away from residential versions as I see too many of them in the shop for repairs. No particular brand preference even I do lean toward the JD or Hustler commercial line.
While I use a residential Country Clipper 48" mower for my acre, I think it would be a good idea if you would check out one of their commercial mowers, considering how much you mow. The biggest selling point for me was joystick steering, rather than the two levers needed to operate an M113 APC.

R

Roy

I have a simplicity 12 hp sovereign with a cast iron briggs engine. It is a 1970 model. Its still howing my lawn with a 48 inch deck. I'm turning 78 years old this year and don't think I'm going to need another one. If I did it wouldn't be a new one. They don't make them like they use too.

M

Muhammad

After years of maintaining gas-powered mowers and other garden equipment and getting tired of it, I've been converting over to battery-powered equipment - including my first riding mower. I purchased a Ryobi RM-480E with a 38-inch deck. We have about 6 acres and I use it to cut the lawn and field grass on about half of it. Ok, for you old-school guys, I still use my John Deere 4110 diesel tractor for the other jobs. The Ryobi has done the job well. It is stable on hills and doubles as a utility cart. I can also drive it up on ramps and it fits perfectly in my 6-foot VW pickup bed. I can easily tow a utility cart or my DR chipper. I wished it had an accessory tool carrier, but didn't. So I mounted an ATV carrier on the back, as you can see in the photo. It will cut for a full 2.5 hours before it shuts off the mower and requires a charge. Thankfully it has a reserve to let you drive back to the shop. At the time I purchased it, it was one of the few battery-powered riding mowers out there. Now Ryobi has a Zero-turn, 42 inch deck mower. I costs a lot more than my 38 inch model. But I am happy with it and would probably purchase it again - although I may have opted for the zero-turn if it was available when I purchased mine.

I was about to say it looks like you could use a slightly larger deck for mowing...

B

bodon

I have a Ferris with suspension 37 hp , 61" deck. This is my 2nd. So yes I would (buy a 3rd.).

S

Steve4224

I have 9 acres to mow. In the springtime, that means mowing at least one parcel per day. I have had a John Deere Z425 with a 54-in deck for years and been very happy with it. But I needed a second mower for when my John Deere was in the shop. Based on the recommendation of Consumer Reports, I bought a Troy Built Mustang 50. What a mistake! CR rated it as the best zero-turn mower. No way! It is nowhere near the mower my John Deere is.

One complaint about the Mustang 50 is that the back tires have a tread that doesn't grab. In places I easily mow with the Deere, the Troy Built will not move or turn. I look and see that one or both wheels are spinning.

Another complaint is the feature that disconnects the drive belt for the blades if you put even the slightest back-pressure on both handles. Maybe this is a "safety" feature on all zero-turn mowers nowadays. Maybe the forum can answer this? But it is a real drawback when you have to mow into as many corners as I have to mow. I call it a "lawyer" feature because no one who mows would recommend such a feature.

The lower 2 acres of my property flood when we have heavy rains in the early spring. By the time it dries out enough to take a mower down there without getting stuck in the mud, the grass and weeds are between knee-high and waist-high. The only way to mow those acres is to plunge into the high grass a couple of feet and then back up and do it again a little offset to the right so that the discharge doesn't go into tall grass you haven't mowed yet. It takes several days to mow it all. There's no way I could do that with the Mustang 50. It would shut off the blades 1,000 times and I would have to re-engage them 1,000 times. The John Deere is the only mower that will do it.

L

Legend

I bought a YTH2148 Husqvarna 15 years ago. 350 hours. I bought Husqvarna because they make good motorcycles and other equipment in Sweden. It is a piece of junk. Granted the motor is Briggs and Stratton, but i had to replace it because the cam went flat. Found a reasonable used replacement. Have had to beef up all welds on the deck. Deck does not raise sufficiently in the front. Poor adjustment method. Now I am making front steering link so that I can adjust the front end alignment. It is currently towed out bad and has no adjustment. Recently had to replace the electric clutch. Good thing that the spare engine that I had, had a clutch. It was thicker and required steering link adjustments.

G

GrassSlicer

In 1977 my dad bought a 20" Lawn Chief 60-207 with a 3.5HP B&S engine with vertical pull start. I've been using it for about 20 years. Thing just absolutely refuses to die and never gives any problems. If I could go back in time, I'd buy 5 of the things!

L

ljms

The last mower I bought was a John Deere F710. I bought it used in 1995. It was low hours, and if they still made them I would for sure buy another one. I still use it some but last year my son bought a Cub Cadet Ultima ZT and I used that. The F710 is a good running machine but the deck is getting pretty beat up with a few holes. The thing that I like about it is the rear wheels steer. It has a front mounted deck and darn neear turns on a dime. The negative was the lack of a grass catcher available for it. On the other hand, the Ultima has a great grass bagging setup, and runs good, but the frame is rather stiff and does not give a very even cut on my lawn where I deal with a lot of swales.

I

itRAINSinOregon

Mine is a 2014 Cub Cadet LTX1046KW, had it about a hundred hours, tranny died once, replaced by dealer. It's just a matter of time before this tranny dies . . It is the same "sealed" tufftorq hydraulic mtd puts in all brands and cheap John Deers. It is a disaster. The only fix is a 700-1300 fix by upgrading to a Tufftorq k66 and a few modifications to make it fit. I know I cheaped out to buy this unit for 2k, but I was ignorant of the big box effect MTD had on Tufftorq trannies, and now I am stuck with an awesome Kawasaki motor on a tolerable deck, with a tranny that will die every 200 hrs. There is a guy, RJR tractor that'll sell a mod kit that fits, for around 1800 n change. I wanna meet MTD in a dark alley sometime . .

hansoncarla

hansoncarla

I purchased a used Commercial Gravely 260 with a 60 inch deck and powered by a 25HP engine 7 years ago and would purchase it again, except, I would probably get a different engine. I have a Kohler V25 and it has been running rich since I got it, but there are not any user adjustments. (all factory set and locked) It does have 1,400 hours on it and starts all the time summer and winter. I love the heavy build of this Gravely and it has been reliable all these years.

bugdewde

bugdewde

In a heartbeat .....

98-jpg.44402

1998 Murray 46" deck
17.5 hp Briggs Stratton horizontal twin (flathead).
Hydrostatic

I know, cracker jack mower..... but let me tell you .... it has been an AMAZING trooper for 20 years! (Stolen 2 years ago).

Stored under a roof for about 3-4 years after initial purchase ($1200). I shit you not, left outside for 16 or so years.

- Rebuilt the deck spindles after a tree root broke a blade & spindle in 2009-2010.
- Broke the nipple off the plastic gas tank trying to remove the fuel line.
- Removed carb 20+ times to clean out the bowl & jets (ethanol gas & sitting outside makes the carb fill with white/clear snot). NEVER replaced a gasket!
- 2012 ... Air cleaner base screw vibrated loose & sucked into engine, propping the intake valve open ..... Lost compression, so I assumed the worse. Removed head (flathead) to find the offending screw. Removed with needle nose pliers .... been running ever since.
- Replaced starter and ignition key switch 2013.
- Quit replacing starter solenoids around 2015 .... arced it off with a screwdriver.
- Replaced coil 2015. Only lasted a couple years .... ran for 30-40 minutes until it got hot ... had to let it cool before restarting.
- Oh .... forgot new tires around 2010 .... was unable to remove the wheel from the axle .... keyway wouldn't budge. Heated cherry red & even used a 9000 lb winch .... NEVER got it off....

There were a couple belts, batteries, air filters and oil changes every 2 or 3 seasons (no oil filter) .... 20 years and never had to add oil.

I used it to mow approximately acre. Then added my mother's yard for about 3 years (1.5 acres) ..... and then my 2nd home (1 acre) .... yep, 3 yards.

Sadly, the coil heated up and engine died .... literally next to the road. I went in to let it cool (me too) ... and lost interest in finishing. After a day or 2, it turned up missing. ..... Lol. 2018.

New replacement?
Nope!!!
2002 model just like it (except 20 hp B&S OHV V-Twin).
0726191703-jpg.45038

If this proves to be HALF the mower the '98 was ... I couldn't complain.

M

MrWobbly

I am 80 years old and I still walk behind my Snapper 21" 21500 PC that I purchased in the 1980s. I have replaced the engine 3 times and miscellaneous belts, bearings, and springs, but it has never disappointed me in its performance. The transmission and "drive" apparatus is strong and well designed to put power on the rear wheels. I hope to take it with me when I go on to my reward. In my time, I have mowed large acreages, but never felt the need to get a riding lawn mower.
o

Attachments

bugdewde

bugdewde

One tough transaxle (hydrostatic) .....
1998 Murray....

The attempted wheel removal for installing new tires. Unsuccessful.

Screenshot_20200410-151718_Chrome.jpg

Wedged a landscaping timber against the mower's frame and the Jeep bumper. Fashioned a wheel puller to the wheel and attached to the 9000 lb winch cable.
Thew an old jacket over the cable (expecting something to let go) .... and the landscaping timber shattered!!!!!
Screenshot_20200129-132933_Chrome.jpg

Never got the wheel off. Installed new tire & tube with the wheel on the axle.

For our push mower, back in 2006, bought a new MTD 22" push mower w/Flathead Briggs on it. (made in USA)
& this thing just keeps running & running. Only thing I did was to bore & bush the plastic wheels. I recently saw the latest plastic push mowers. Cheap junk.

I'm gonna keep this Briggs going till I can't anymore. This has & continues to be a great low cost mower, that mows beautifully. Big help for where my Z doesn't fit..

steve0701

steve0701

Absolutely, I would buy this Lawn-Boy walk-behind again. After all, I've been using it exclusively on 1/3 acre for 27 years. Two-stroke engine, self-propelled, alloy deck, bag, mulch, or side discharge. Back in 2003, I replaced the short block. Later it was a bushing in the transmission and, also, the drive cable. At some point, I think I replaced the ignition coil, but that had to be over 15 years ago. Every couple of years I remove the muffler and clean the exhaust ports as the book says to do. I should replace the wheels since the tread is beginning to disappear.
Untitled.png

D

doug b

I bought a Cub Cadet LTX1050 brand new in 2010 and it has right around 600 hours on it now. For the past five seasons I have mowed 5 1/2 acres per week and all I have had to do to it was put in one battery,a couple of sets of belts, new blades every year and a few repairs to the deck that were from abuse,not use. The first five years I only cut about 2 acres per week and didn't replace anything but blades the entire time.Bought it from a local dealer who set it up,serviced it and brought it to my house. I really think that made the difference on this mower because my neighbor bought the same mower from a big box store the next year and had nothing but trouble. I bought mine on a Saturday morning and when I asked where I could load up the mower the salesman told me I couldn't,it would be delivered. When I got a little testy over having dropped 2 grand and not getting my mower that day he said he would give me my money back if I wasn't satisfied with getting my mower on Tuesday when his mechanic could be back in to get it ready but he would not sell me a machine that wasn't properly set up and serviced. Would definitely buy another Cub product and I learned to appreciate the salesman's reply.

F

frwillia

No, I would not buy the same mower.. Purchased a 2017 Scag Turf tiger for 14,200. Reasons: To heavy. I have a 37 Hp Vanguard EFI on it, to much horse power for every day mowing.
You can buy a tiger cat 2 with the velocity deck @ 9,000 No deference in quality cut, a lot lighter, and cheaper. save over 5,000. This mower will be up for sale soon... 400 hours
Before we bought the ZD1211 Kubota we really wanted to buy a Scag Tiger Cat 2. We liked everything about it except My sister, a tiny little 75 year old gym teacher, couldn't lift the deck pushing with one leg, so we regretfully ruled it out. She couldn't lift the deck on the Turf Tiger with both legs on the pedal. Neither could my 78 year old wife. The Kubota had a nice fast acting hydraulic cylinder to raise and lower the deck, so we bought that instead. You would find the Kubota to be too heavy. It has a 26hp Diesel which powers through everything without slowing down. We like everything about it except the weight.

M

mattzcat

A resounding NO ! I bought a 21 hp Husqvarna with a 46" deck. Most of what I mow is on a hillside. The seat is very slippery and the sheet metal seat frame is very wimpy and flexes horribly under my 230 lb. weight. I constantly feels like I'm going to fall off. It is very difficult to set the cruise control on uneven terrain.

I wish somebody still made a lawn tractor with a standard transmission.

W

Wolfgang

My first mower (new in 2000) was a John Deere LT-166 with a 38" deck. it cost me about $3,000 then. It was not one of the cheap ones made for sale at the Big Box stores but a real John Deere purchased at a licensed, long-established local, John Deere shop -- Waltemyer's of Red Lion, PA. This was half the problem. They went out of business about three years after I bought the mower and wouldn't (couldn't) stand behind Deere products. I won't go into details but it was the worst piece of junk I ever owned. I kept it for about 15 years and even had to have the engine replaced at one point. Horrible piece of equipment.

Fast forward to 2015. I bought a Simplicity Legacy mower for maybe $3,000 minus a $600 trade for the old JD. It is a 42" deck. This mower runs like a charm and I would easily buy it again. The only significant issue it had was that the wheels would slip when the grass on my somewhat uneven terrain would get wet. The dealer put antifreeze in the tires (to increase the weight) and it has worked wonders ever since with an amazing turning radius and excellent traction.

Why did I pick a Simplicity? One burned by the" big show in town" (Deere) I liked the fact that it was a good, solid brand but not one with the reputation of Deere, Cub Cadet, Toro, or Troy-Bilt. This mower is a real work-horse that handles the contours in my lawn nicely and has very few mechanical problems. It has about 550 hours on it now. My dealer told me it should run for many years if maintained well.

Let me tell you why I chose it. I had an "on-site" repair guy that used to come out and fix my mower at my house. He came many, many times on the Deere and finally told me I would need to get a new mower as the engine needed work that would cost a lot. I asked him what brand to buy. He said there are a lot of good ones but he mentioned Simplicity. When I asked him what was so good about it, he told me he almost never gets a call to repair one. I said, "that's for me!" So Simplicity it was.

L

ljms

Previously I wrote that the Cub Cadet Ultima my son has does not cut my lawn very well due to the uneven layout and the swales that are present on my yard and areas that I mow because the frame is so stiff. My JD F710 has the front mounted deck and a very strong and stiff framework on the tractor portion of the mower, but the manner in which the deck is mounted allows it to float and follow the contours much better. I guess with the new ZTs it is common for them to use a very stiff frame, (not such a bad thing) but at the cost of a clean and even mowing on uneven ground. All that being said, if I was to buy a new mower at this time I would be looking at the style of deck, welded vs. stamped. Would get a welded deck because I feel they would last longer as long as the material is thick enough. As for uneven cut, that is of little concern to me any more, a good grass catching system is my priotity now. I have a small farm and use my grass catcher to feed my cows grass from my side lots and neighbors lawn, especially when the summer pastures slow down.
LaVern

W

wgunter6

NO. I bought a hustler raptor about 4 years ago. the first one I brought home and the bolt that holds the deck up on the right side vibrated loose and fell out. took it back to Lowes and they put a lock nut on it. used it once and that vibrated off. called them and they sent some out to pick up the lawnmower to repair. they brought it back and it hasn't came loose again since then. the plastic cowling is cheap and cracked and broke off above the gas tank. the seat does not go back far enough, I am 6' and I feel very cramped . when I pull the handles back I have to lean as back as I can to go backwards. there is no hour meter. If your grass is higher than normal you have to cut it twice. not good for a yard that is not level all over.

R

Renchy

Bought a Scots (by JD) in 1999, still runs great but needed a better mower to get around 21/2acres. So found auctioned 2004 Grasshopper 725G2/52"/Kubota gas w/725hrs. Bought it for $3200 and have loved it since day one. Just did the service and she runs like a top. If I could afford it I would get a new Grasshopper or used if that mower was a Grasshopper.

Ken22

Ken22

In 2006 dad bought a Husqvarna YTD2042 ? It never cut evenly. I don't think the stamped deck was strong enough. It also had a rocker type foot control which was terrible. Went looking for a ZTR last summer. JD, Husqvarna, Kubota and Gravely dealers in the area. JD was nice and the dealer explained the features, Husqvarna dealer gave me a brochure, Kubota although a great unit was out of my price range. Then I saw the Gravely and was really impressed. The only dealer that asked about terrain, the amount of grass and obstacles before talking price. I would have liked the ZTXL but couldn't justify the extra $1,000. I only cut my 3 acres of grass with it as I have 8 other tractors from 4 hp up to 100 hp, 2 of them with FELs, to do the heavy stuff. Would buy another Gravely in a heartbeat.

S

snapper re200

YES.
2007 Snapper RE200 (13 HP hydrostatic rear engine rider, 30" cut).
EZ to use, mows great, and has been completely reliable with annual maintenance -never required service other than replacing a front tire due to sidewall rot.
Cost $2,150: U get what U pay for!

rsu11

rsu11

Yes. Bought a Gravely ZTX 42" with Kohler 22 HP engine (pictured in my avatar) about 4 months ago. My first zero turn. It now has about 9 hours of relatively easy duty on it, cutting my 2/3 acre lot once a week. Has been trouble free and cuts very well. Added an onboard connector to a smart charger for the battery - it sits unused for most of the week. Only complaint is that the seat back presses against the engine cowling when slid to the rear, adding vibration to the seat and limiting space for my long legs. It's fun to operate and I actually look forward to cutting the lawn now. Dealer in Sarasota was excellent and at $3K delivered, I consider it a good value.

Observation: why do they paint these mowers to look like M&M's? You would think that residential models would have more automotive color finishes. I know each mfr has their own "identity" color, but there's no mistaking my mower's brand with "GRAVELY" proudly displayed on every side. Should have asked for an advertising discount. LOL!

V

vonzip

I bought a new Cub Cadet last year, an XT3 GTX. I wanted power steering but is sadly ineffective. My old John Deere GT235 is about the same effort actually a bit less effort. I have the 54" fabricated deck and it is a bear to clean out after an afternoon of mowing. I also was anxious to get the 42" snowblower and it too was disappointing. Can't keep up with any amount of snow depth more than 5 or 6 inches. I must keep adjusting my foot on the foot pedal to move slowly or cease travel while the snow blower struggles to keep up.

Changing from mower to snow blower or vice versa is a major task. I was spoiled by the ease of doing this with my John Deere. Seems like Cub Cadet was designed to be difficult to work with accessories.

Would I buy this machine and it's attachments again? Never. I will not be buying any more yard or garden tractors in my lifetime. I'm 76 years old and I'll die or become feeble before I need another machine. Just writing this to let you know how I feel about the subject and my experience with Cub Cadet.

I'e used John Deere all my life and buying a Cub Cadet was a big mistake. I use my old GT235 almost all of the time and leave the Cub Cadet to sit in the barn.

Q

qmark

Bought a Scots (by JD) in 1999, still runs great but needed a better mower to get around 21/2acres. So found auctioned 2004 Grasshopper 725G2/52"/Kubota gas w/725hrs. Bought it for $3200 and have loved it since day one. Just did the service and she runs like a top. If I could afford it I would get a new Grasshopper or used if that mower was a Grasshopper.
I have the same only 61 in. deck. I did replace the gas with a diesel Kubota as I prefer diesels. Like the mower a lot.

P

pastor99

I bought a Hustler Raptor SD in 2014. I've been pretty pleased with it until recently. Until three weeks ago I would have said I'd buy one again. It broke then and it's not the breaking that has cooled my enthusiasm. It's the response by servicing dealers and by Hustler itself. I tried to get some help directly from Hustler in trying to determine the problem and appropriate repair. I emailed their support department and now, three weeks later, haven't heard a word from them. So, today, I wouldn't buy one again.

J

joebaehr

Loved my Cub Cadet 760ES for maneuvering around all the landscaping and other obstacles in the yard, but got a Gravely ZTXL42 last year and must say it gets the job done quickly and can maneuver around most but not all the landscaping. Just wish I had a little better traction on the unweighted rear tire when mowing some of the slopes in the yard, but yes would buy either one agian.

Ken22

Ken22

Yes. Bought a Gravely ZTX 42" with Kohler 22 HP engine (pictured in my avatar) about 4 months ago. My first zero turn. It now has about 9 hours of relatively easy duty on it, cutting my 2/3 acre lot once a week. Has been trouble free and cuts very well. Added an onboard connector to a smart charger for the battery - it sits unused for most of the week. Only complaint is that the seat back presses against the engine cowling when slid to the rear, adding vibration to the seat and limiting space for my long legs. It's fun to operate and I actually look forward to cutting the lawn now. Dealer in Sarasota was excellent and at $3K delivered, I consider it a good value.

Observation: why do they paint these mowers to look like M&M's? You would think that residential models would have more automotive color finishes. I know each mfr has their own "identity" color, but there's no mistaking my mower's brand with "GRAVELY" proudly displayed on every side. Should have asked for an advertising discount. LOL!
If I remember right I read about someone with the same problem and was suggested to raise the seat and move the seat back ?? I never looked into it as I'm 5'7" and have my lap bars set as far ahead as they will go to be comfortable for me.

E

Earthquake Landscaping

Ohhh.. I so remember when I first started on this site. I bought a John Deere D-160. Someone asked me " Why the hell did you buy that piece of crap for?" My only defense was, " Because it was a John Deere!". It never occurred to me that the bean counters had gotten hold of the company, and were just profiteering of the brand value.I figured it was a no brainer... Get a John Deere, and not worry about it's quality or durability. Maybe twenty years ago, but not today, not by a long shot.

Just because it's green, doesn't mean it's a John Deere!

Reading the manual blew my mind...

Warranty .... 120 hours, or ten years. So, if you used it to make money, and cut 40 hours a week.... It had a THREE WEEK warranty.

Having a rip roaring case of O.C.D., I read the manual to plan my service schedule. According to the manual, the Tuff Torque K46, is "sealed for life, and as such, never needs service" WTF?!?!

There isn't even a drain plug on it ( the trans - axle ). I put the first fifty hours on it, and then removed the trans-axle, and left it upside down over a bucket for a day. I refilled it with Amsoil heavy duty synthetic.

The new ones have a pre charged oil filter change system, you screw on the pre loaded filter, and, if needed, add more oil to fill it up. The end result is it's quick and easy, but you haven't changed all the oil out of it.

It's not that this is only happening with John Deere, it's pretty much all the brands are cashing in on brand value for short term profitability.

The "Pro-sumer" category, is crap, on it's best day.

For example, how can Stihl make a chainsaw that retails for $249.00, and goes on sale for $199.00? That means that Stilh made it for $50.00, made $50.00 profit on it ( 100% markup), Then, they sold it to Home Depot, who marked it up again, end retailed it for $200.00 to $250.00.. There's no such thing as a quality chainsaw that was manufactured for $50.00.

Briggs & Stratton has a new line of mowers under the sub brand "Quantum".. Their selling point is that you never change the oil, you just check and add as necessary. There is no drain plug. They figure that by the time it starts to burn oil, you're adding oil with fresh additives. By the time it dies, The wheels are bald, the cables are rusting, the deck is shot, and you'll just buy a new one.

Welcome to a disposable society...

M

Muhammad

Ohhh.. I so remember when I first started on this site. I bought a John Deere D-160. Someone asked me " Why the hell did you buy that piece of crap for?" My only defense was, " Because it was a John Deere!". It never occurred to me that the bean counters had gotten hold of the company, and were just profiteering of the brand value.I figured it was a no brainer... Get a John Deere, and not worry about it's quality or durability. Maybe twenty years ago, but not today, not by a long shot.

Just because it's green, doesn't mean it's a John Deere!

Reading the manual blew my mind...

Warranty .... 120 hours, or ten years. So, if you used it to make money, and cut 40 hours a week.... It had a THREE WEEK warranty.

Having a rip roaring case of O.C.D., I read the manual to plan my service schedule. According to the manual, the Tuff Torque K46, is "sealed for life, and as such, never needs service" WTF?!?!

There isn't even a drain plug on it ( the trans - axle ). I put the first fifty hours on it, and then removed the trans-axle, and left it upside down over a bucket for a day. I refilled it with Amsoil heavy duty synthetic.

The new ones have a pre charged oil filter change system, you screw on the pre loaded filter, and, if needed, add more oil to fill it up. The end result is it's quick and easy, but you haven't changed all the oil out of it.

It's not that this is only happening with John Deere, it's pretty much all the brands are cashing in on brand value for short term profitability.

The "Pro-sumer" category, is crap, on it's best day.

For example, how can Stihl make a chainsaw that retails for $249.00, and goes on sale for $199.00? That means that Stilh made it for $50.00, made $50.00 profit on it ( 100% markup), Then, they sold it to Home Depot, who marked it up again, end retailed it for $200.00 to $250.00.. There's no such thing as a quality chainsaw that was manufactured for $50.00.

Briggs & Stratton has a new line of mowers under the sub brand "Quantum".. Their selling point is that you never change the oil, you just check and add as necessary. There is no drain plug. They figure that by the time it starts to burn oil, you're adding oil with fresh additives. By the time it dies, The wheels are bald, the cables are rusting, the deck is shot, and you'll just buy a new one.

Welcome to a disposable society...

Definitely words of wisdom in your post.

Big box products are very rarely built to stand the test of time.

I remember buying a poulan chainsaw at a big box about 20 years ago. It had a 20" bar but right out of the box couldn't cut anything really. I swapped that out for a 16" Oregon and had better luck. But after a few weeks it was taking 10-12 pulls just to start.

I just saw the Stihl MS-170 a few weeks ago and was curious about their price point, and how a $159 saw could be worthy of the Stihl label. Well, it has the thinnest chain imaginable for a saw and I can't imagine it's good for anything other than cutting brush.

I wound up picking up an MS-194T with a 14" bar for limbing. Definitely a good saw but at $370 for a small trimming saw I'd expect that.

While Stihl has stayed out of the big box stores I'm sure they sell a lot of those MS171s but I doubt many serious cutters use them for any real cutting.

F

Fixitlane

Heck to the NO! Husqvarna ZR46. A disgrace to the Husqvarna name. AYP piece of junk.

W

Wonderboy

I have a JD ZTR residential model. I use it on my 3-acre acreage. I have not had a lot of trouble with this mower, but more than I expected. I would not buy another JD ZTR, considering the price and value. My next mower would also be a commercial model with a hydraulic deck. I will decide on the brand/model when I am ready to purchase.

J

JPK Omaha

How about you?
I bought a Honda HRX217VKA about 3 or 4 years ago. The motor started leaking oil onto the deck from the beginning. Last fall I took it back to the dealer and they made some repair under warranty. We will see if it still leaks this spring. To answer your question, this was my second Honda because the first one lasted 12 years, however I believe Honda has lost the quality focus in their engine building department so I would not buy another at this time. I would probably go back to Toro.lawnmower oil leak Nov 2019 2.jpg

D

Dajanasa1

My first and only rider is a John Deere D120 with a 48 inch deck.
I would not buy another because of the Tuff-Torque trans-axle and the fact that John Deere shipped it with the wrong oil in it.
It should have come with synthetic gear oil, but JD chose to put cheaper oil in it.
By the time I became aware of the problem, the damage was done.
You must remove the trans-axle to change the oil, plus there is no way to check the amount of oil in the trans-axle while in the mower.
I have replaced the oil with the correct synthetic, but the trans-axle slips when climbing hills.
I must let the mower cool for about an hour, before I can finish.

Ken22

Ken22

I bought a YTH2148 Husqvarna 15 years ago. 350 hours. I bought Husqvarna because they make good motorcycles and other equipment in Sweden. It is a piece of junk. Granted the motor is Briggs and Stratton, but i had to replace it because the cam went flat. Found a reasonable used replacement. Have had to beef up all welds on the deck. Deck does not raise sufficiently in the front. Poor adjustment method. Now I am making front steering link so that I can adjust the front end alignment. It is currently towed out bad and has no adjustment. Recently had to replace the electric clutch. Good thing that the spare engine that I had, had a clutch. It was thicker and required steering link adjustments.
Replaced a YTD2042 I inherited because of many of the problems you had.

L

leew0004

How about you?
I bought my John Deere Model D125 in 2016. Other than a flat tire, I've had no problems. It has over 170 hours on the clock now. I mow nearly 2 acres.

L

leew0004

I bought my John Deere Model D125 in 2016. Other than a flat tire, I've had no problems. It has over 170 hours on the clock now. I mow nearly 2 acres.

rsu11

rsu11

If I remember right I read about someone with the same problem and was suggested to raise the seat and move the seat back ?? I never looked into it as I'm 5'7" and have my lap bars set as far ahead as they will go to be comfortable for me.
Yep, that was me. Haven't raised the seat yet, but will give it a try. It's not a big deal...I can still use the mower comfortably. It just surprised me that the seat can slide back into the engine housing.

Ken22

Ken22

Yep, that was me. Haven't raised the seat yet, but will give it a try. It's not a big deal...I can still use the mower comfortably. It just surprised me that the seat can slide back into the engine housing.
Maybe Gravely engineers and QC staff are all short ?.

C

crypkema

I bought a 22 inch Yard King mower with a Honda GCV160 engine in 1990. It still runs like a champ. The throttle return spring recently broke. That cost me about $5 to repair. It doesn't use any oil, and just runs like a champ.

I have previously posted about my vintage MTD 22" Briggs Flathead push mower. Yes I would buy that exact mower again. But that time & quality is gone.

Anyhow in Aug 20th, 2014,....... I got my NEW Toro MX Z. With all the bells & whistles including the Kawasaki engine. That mower continues to be fine & dandy. I take great care of my stuff. But besides the push mower, this Z is a great machine. It's only nearing 6 years old, so jury is still out for long term. But today I would buy another just like it if I could.
In fact almost did, shop selling on eBay had one leftover, but the guy was stuck on his price, & I guess I was stuck on mine as well.

Anyhow these are 2 that I would buy again, in a heartbeat.

P

pelicanroost

Bought my Ferris Evolution almost 8 years ago. Absolutely no regrets.

D

de3

I started out with a Dynamark,then moved on to a sears 18 hp garden tractor,used it for a few years until i went broke buying gas for it....now i've owned a bx1500 kubota now for 17 years,and i would buy another if needed,as far as push mowers i've owned 3 lawn boys,a snapper and a HRR Honda and several mowers that were gave to me....now I own a HRX 217H And a HRC Commercial.....And yes I would buy again

L

lamrith

I will touch on two units here.
Original ride on I had was a Kubota T1560 I bought in 2002 or so. Solid unit all the way around. If you have rough ground to mow on I can highly recommend the unit. The suspension really works and saves your back. Mine ran 15yrs with little to no maintenance and it held up great considering. The bagger system was deck powered and solid. It would only clog when trying to mow too fast in tall and wet grass (trying to mow between rainstorms).

I bought a Ferris 400S in 2018 to replace the Kubota. My 1st Zero turn. I went Ferris for the suspension system. Great mower so far. There was a learning curve and I still make the occasional spin mark turning. The deck had supposedly been leveled by the dealer, but I was getting a lip in the cut on one side and was worse when turning, so I re-adjusted it a hair and that stopped the issue. It has cut my mow times by 2/3 and has my lawn looking the best it has in years, I simply love this mower so far. To the point I have taken over mowing duties from my son who is less than happy at losing a source of allowance. I just find it relaxing to put music on and cut the lawn now, it is my 1hr escape from everything. I have even taken to alternating cut pattern each week, both to stop ruts from the mower weight, but also because the deck cuts so well it makes a nice pattern. I will give the Ferris a sold A-, pricing was inline with other comparable machines but it adds suspension which for me was important. Everything is pretty accessible for maintenance.
I added the turbo-pro bagger system late last year. The bagger I will say is not great. For some reason Ferris designed it so it really chokes down the exit from the deck and the blades of the fan system are not down in the grass path to help force it thru. It tries to use a venturi type effect to move the grass. With the heavy grass here in western Wa (why I needed a bagger as mulching does not work), the system just does not work well and is prone to clogging at the deck where it cannot be reached without pulling the assembly of the deck. The Kubota bagger system did not restrict the deck exit and had the fan down in the discharge path physically moving the grass, it would only clog if the grass was extremely high and wet. Unlike the Kubota I cannot hear it change pitch either when it is starting to backup and give me a chance to slow down or stop to let it clear itself. No warning until I start to see the deck spit grass out the front corner after the chute is fully clogged. I give the bagger a D. The unit is solidly built, materials look durable, but it was extremely expensive and the design just does not work that well.

L

ljms

That's a good report on the Ferris. I has seen one last fall at one of the local agricultural fairs and was impressed with the welded deck and suspension. The fact that the grasscatcher clogs easily and is troubesome in clearing the clog is great to know. Thanks for the report.
LaVern

L

lamrith

That's a good report on the Ferris. I has seen one last fall at one of the local agricultural fairs and was impressed with the welded deck and suspension. The fact that the grasscatcher clogs easily and is troubesome in clearing the clog is great to know. Thanks for the report.
LaVern
Yeah I have been disappointed with the bagger. That said when it is drier time of the year and grass is not growing super fast it has been great and I have had no issues even mowing close to full travel speed. This is a tough time of the year here in the PNW, lot of rain leaving very few days to mow, and not uncommon to get 3-5" of growth in spots in a week. That length in itself is tough, but then it also holds moisture which compounds it makes it hard to bag. I need to remind myself to drop the bagger ( only actually takes 2min) and just mow normal to get the length cut, then come back over it latter to bag the cut grass. Takes much less time than trying to creep and not overload the chute.

J

Jeff T

Honda HR215 bought new in 1992. Still runs and looks great.

Toying with the idea of a newer one for the bigger engine and twin blade mulch system.

S

Steve_F

Bought a '94 grasshopper 725 used in '97 and am still riding today. It was a great deal and the zero turn, front deck and heavy build has been a good fit for my 8 acres of rough-ish land with lots of trees and shrubs. I would have preferred the diesel and the 6' deck, but this one was what was available in my price range and it's been great.

Steve

M

MowDanMan

Zero Turn with a steering wheel?? YOU BET!!! My Cub Cadet RZT SX42 is the most amazing machine I've ever seen! It has all of the zero turn benefits without the draw backs.
1st - It is beyond amazing on hill sides/ditches. It will outperform almost any 2wd tractor and EVERY zero turn on the market. I'm talking "mountain goat!!"
2nd - The steering wheel is tremendously more comfortable than the lap bars.
3rd - it doesn't tear up the lawn when making sharp turns.
4th - (this is a biggy) it's very possible to drink beer while you mow! Not so much with a typical zero turn.
The list goes on and on.

OK...so...it IS a totally residential model...and I wish it had a nicer deck...but the benefits far out weigh the drawbacks.

Attachments

B

bertsmobile1

Zero Turn with a steering wheel?? YOU BET!!! My Cub Cadet RZT SX42 is the most amazing machine I've ever seen! It has all of the zero turn benefits without the draw backs.
1st - It is beyond amazing on hill sides/ditches. It will outperform almost any 2wd tractor and EVERY zero turn on the market. I'm talking "mountain goat!!"
2nd - The steering wheel is tremendously more comfortable than the lap bars.
3rd - it doesn't tear up the lawn when making sharp turns.
4th - (this is a biggy) it's very possible to drink beer while you mow! Not so much with a typical zero turn.
The list goes on and on.

OK...so...it IS a totally residential model...and I wish it had a nicer deck...but the benefits far out weigh the drawbacks.
If you want to keep it that way make sure you lift the false floor regularly and clean the debris out from around the steering gear & drive controls.

Farmer across the road has a 60" Cub W/Kawasaki & steering wheel. He said if it will hold on his hills, he'll buy it.

I see him way up on hillsides plenty. He is 78 & still making it happen.. Said he's not a fan of lap bars.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

If you want to keep it that way make sure you lift the false floor regularly and clean the debris out from around the steering gear & drive controls.
Had one of those in the shop this spring. Needed the drive belt replaced. What a PITA that was getting to the belt guard bolts.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Have a Ferris IS3100Z with 36hp Briggs and 61" ICD deck. Great mower. Does a good cut job at full speed. Doesn't bog down in tall grass. Will burn the deck belt up before it bogs the engine down. Ask me how i know this. The full suspension And seat make it very comfortable. Only mower i have ever had you can power drift around a corner. Not cheap but i would buy it again.

C

CAW

I bought my first rider in 1983. It was a JD 216, which was a "plain Jane" for sure. No hydrostatic, but it was tough as nails. I am a machinist and an aircraft mechanic, and I maintain everything that I own, including the airplane, but the Deere required only routine maintenance for the ten years that I owned it. The only downside was having to replace the deck belt every year.

I sold the 216 for well over half of what I payed for it, and I bought a JD 425. It was rock solid as well, and I kept it for 18 years with the only maintenance beyond routine of replacing a carb. By 2011, my next door neighbor was manager of the local Deere store, and he convinced me to go to a zero turn. I mow about an acre and a half in my lawn, and the 930A cut my mowing time by more than half. I loved the machine, but the rough ride was kinda hard on a 71 year old guy. I added an aftermarket seat suspension system, and that helped. I had a coil breaking down two years ago, and I replaced both while I had it torn down. That was the only issue for the nine seasons with the 930A.

Two weeks ago, I got a wild hair, and made a visit to the Deere store. I had been researching the 994R, and I liked what I had learned. My neighbor brought me a demo the next day, and after mowing, I knew that I had found my "forever mower." It had the suspension seat, and I was blown away with the comfort. My neighbor gave me a great deal, and he delivered mine last week. I bought it with the 60" MOD deck, which is what I had on the 930. Now I have a diesel mower to park alongside my 3032E JD tractor. The fuel consumption is unbelievable on both machines.

That's my history of mowers, and if I could not have upgraded, I would certainly have bought each one of them again.

M

MowDanMan

I've never done that. Thank you!!

cpurvis

cpurvis

An improvement I'd suggest to the MZ-T is to make the front axle pivot. That would help with traction.

I have a 1984 Toro push mower with the cast aluminum deck and Suzuki 2-cycle engine. I'd buy another one of those in a heartbeat.

F

farmrboy

I've got a 99 Grasshopper 725 g2 and would definitely buy it again. I wanted a diesel and the dealer talked me out of it because back then it actually hurt the resale and trade value. But the Kubota gas engine has done a great job.

Bleach

Bleach

My Craftsman 50" riding is almost 25 years old is and still working good. I've fixed a lot of things, including a broken frame. Most people would have probably junked it long time ago.
No I would not buy another one, even if they still made the same tractor, I'm sure the ones they still sell are even worse.

G

gainestruk

I have a Gravley ZT1844XL Z-turn it's a 2004 model, it now has 805.9 hrs on it I would buy again if the still made them, I think they only made it 2 years it was $4200 new.
It runs just as good now as it did new, I guess Gravley figured out it was made too good for residential mower ?
Another thing it has a 18 hp Kohler courage the only thing I've done is adjust valve lash and check torque on case bolts each year when I take cover off to check for nests.
Does anyone have a single cylinder Kohler Courage that has more than 800 hours on it, mine has got to be one of the highest ?