Would you buy the same mower again?

GrassSlicer

Forum Newbie
Threads
In 1977 my dad bought a 20" Lawn Chief 60-207 with a 3.5HP B&S engine with vertical pull start. I've been using it for about 20 years. Thing just absolutely refuses to die and never gives any problems. If I could go back in time, I'd buy 5 of the things!

ljms

Threads
The last mower I bought was a John Deere F710. I bought it used in 1995. It was low hours, and if they still made them I would for sure buy another one. I still use it some but last year my son bought a Cub Cadet Ultima ZT and I used that. The F710 is a good running machine but the deck is getting pretty beat up with a few holes. The thing that I like about it is the rear wheels steer. It has a front mounted deck and darn neear turns on a dime. The negative was the lack of a grass catcher available for it. On the other hand, the Ultima has a great grass bagging setup, and runs good, but the frame is rather stiff and does not give a very even cut on my lawn where I deal with a lot of swales.

itRAINSinOregon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Mine is a 2014 Cub Cadet LTX1046KW, had it about a hundred hours, tranny died once, replaced by dealer. It's just a matter of time before this tranny dies . . It is the same "sealed" tufftorq hydraulic mtd puts in all brands and cheap John Deers. It is a disaster. The only fix is a 700-1300 fix by upgrading to a Tufftorq k66 and a few modifications to make it fit. I know I cheaped out to buy this unit for 2k, but I was ignorant of the big box effect MTD had on Tufftorq trannies, and now I am stuck with an awesome Kawasaki motor on a tolerable deck, with a tranny that will die every 200 hrs. There is a guy, RJR tractor that'll sell a mod kit that fits, for around 1800 n change. I wanna meet MTD in a dark alley sometime . .

hansoncarla

Forum Newbie
Threads
I purchased a used Commercial Gravely 260 with a 60 inch deck and powered by a 25HP engine 7 years ago and would purchase it again, except, I would probably get a different engine. I have a Kohler V25 and it has been running rich since I got it, but there are not any user adjustments. (all factory set and locked) It does have 1,400 hours on it and starts all the time summer and winter. I love the heavy build of this Gravely and it has been reliable all these years.

bugdewde

Threads
In a heartbeat .....

98-jpg.44402

1998 Murray 46" deck
17.5 hp Briggs Stratton horizontal twin (flathead).
Hydrostatic

I know, cracker jack mower..... but let me tell you .... it has been an AMAZING trooper for 20 years! (Stolen 2 years ago).

Stored under a roof for about 3-4 years after initial purchase ($1200). I shit you not, left outside for 16 or so years.

- Rebuilt the deck spindles after a tree root broke a blade & spindle in 2009-2010.
- Broke the nipple off the plastic gas tank trying to remove the fuel line.
- Removed carb 20+ times to clean out the bowl & jets (ethanol gas & sitting outside makes the carb fill with white/clear snot). NEVER replaced a gasket!
- 2012 ... Air cleaner base screw vibrated loose & sucked into engine, propping the intake valve open ..... Lost compression, so I assumed the worse. Removed head (flathead) to find the offending screw. Removed with needle nose pliers .... been running ever since.
- Replaced starter and ignition key switch 2013.
- Quit replacing starter solenoids around 2015 .... arced it off with a screwdriver.
- Replaced coil 2015. Only lasted a couple years .... ran for 30-40 minutes until it got hot ... had to let it cool before restarting.
- Oh .... forgot new tires around 2010 .... was unable to remove the wheel from the axle .... keyway wouldn't budge. Heated cherry red & even used a 9000 lb winch .... NEVER got it off....

There were a couple belts, batteries, air filters and oil changes every 2 or 3 seasons (no oil filter) .... 20 years and never had to add oil.

I used it to mow approximately acre. Then added my mother's yard for about 3 years (1.5 acres) ..... and then my 2nd home (1 acre) .... yep, 3 yards.

Sadly, the coil heated up and engine died .... literally next to the road. I went in to let it cool (me too) ... and lost interest in finishing. After a day or 2, it turned up missing. ..... Lol. 2018.

New replacement?
Nope!!!
2002 model just like it (except 20 hp B&S OHV V-Twin).
0726191703-jpg.45038

If this proves to be HALF the mower the '98 was ... I couldn't complain.

Last edited:

MrWobbly

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am 80 years old and I still walk behind my Snapper 21" 21500 PC that I purchased in the 1980s. I have replaced the engine 3 times and miscellaneous belts, bearings, and springs, but it has never disappointed me in its performance. The transmission and "drive" apparatus is strong and well designed to put power on the rear wheels. I hope to take it with me when I go on to my reward. In my time, I have mowed large acreages, but never felt the need to get a riding lawn mower.
o

Attachments

• Snapper3.JPG
    Snapper3.JPG
    223.3 KB · Views: 3

bugdewde

Threads
One tough transaxle (hydrostatic) .....
1998 Murray....

The attempted wheel removal for installing new tires. Unsuccessful.

Screenshot_20200410-151718_Chrome.jpg

Wedged a landscaping timber against the mower's frame and the Jeep bumper. Fashioned a wheel puller to the wheel and attached to the 9000 lb winch cable.
Thew an old jacket over the cable (expecting something to let go) .... and the landscaping timber shattered!!!!!
Screenshot_20200129-132933_Chrome.jpg

Never got the wheel off. Installed new tire & tube with the wheel on the axle.

Lawn Addict
Threads
For our push mower, back in 2006, bought a new MTD 22" push mower w/Flathead Briggs on it. (made in USA)
& this thing just keeps running & running. Only thing I did was to bore & bush the plastic wheels. I recently saw the latest plastic push mowers. Cheap junk.

I'm gonna keep this Briggs going till I can't anymore. This has & continues to be a great low cost mower, that mows beautifully. Big help for where my Z doesn't fit..

steve0701

Threads
Absolutely, I would buy this Lawn-Boy walk-behind again. After all, I've been using it exclusively on 1/3 acre for 27 years. Two-stroke engine, self-propelled, alloy deck, bag, mulch, or side discharge. Back in 2003, I replaced the short block. Later it was a bushing in the transmission and, also, the drive cable. At some point, I think I replaced the ignition coil, but that had to be over 15 years ago. Every couple of years I remove the muffler and clean the exhaust ports as the book says to do. I should replace the wheels since the tread is beginning to disappear.
Untitled.png

doug b

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a Cub Cadet LTX1050 brand new in 2010 and it has right around 600 hours on it now. For the past five seasons I have mowed 5 1/2 acres per week and all I have had to do to it was put in one battery,a couple of sets of belts, new blades every year and a few repairs to the deck that were from abuse,not use. The first five years I only cut about 2 acres per week and didn't replace anything but blades the entire time.Bought it from a local dealer who set it up,serviced it and brought it to my house. I really think that made the difference on this mower because my neighbor bought the same mower from a big box store the next year and had nothing but trouble. I bought mine on a Saturday morning and when I asked where I could load up the mower the salesman told me I couldn't,it would be delivered. When I got a little testy over having dropped 2 grand and not getting my mower that day he said he would give me my money back if I wasn't satisfied with getting my mower on Tuesday when his mechanic could be back in to get it ready but he would not sell me a machine that wasn't properly set up and serviced. Would definitely buy another Cub product and I learned to appreciate the salesman's reply.