Welcome to the Hustler Forum -- Check in Here First!

RESQ1619

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Welcome to the Hustler Forum -- Check in Here First!
Newbie to this forum, so I hope Ya'll enjoy my first post here. If I don't say it "I do enjoy my Hustler Raptor 52"!!!!!!"
I had bought a Husqvarna 2448 from big box store and mowed my 3.75 acres once and went back to store and told them to come pick it up. It's actually a great mower but it killed my knees due to having to use my legs for hydrostatic drive and brakes. I need double knee replacement due to bone on bone osteoarthritis. Also while in store I had them to load up a Hustler Raptor 52" with the Kohler 24 HP as they were to come out and pick up the Husqvarna at the same time. Upon delivery I parked it in my outbuilding until I got an hour meter and a motor shield. Everything installed no problem. Set the air in all 4 tires at 9psi due to a lot of bumps in yard. Husqvarna took 4 hrs. to mow and the Hustler took me 3.2 hrs. the first time yes there was a lot of start and stopping due to picking up trash and inexperience on a ZTM. Second mow I cut my time down to 2.6 hrs. So with 5.8 hrs. on it I have done changed the oil and filter. I just wish they could have given more room for short fat arms and hands too get to the filter. So I unbolted the fender which made it easier. Good thing I did whom ever installed the filter at the factory cranked down on it so tight I had to use pliers to remove it, crushing it in the mean while.
Now we've had some more rain I'll get to mow again soon. This mower was the way to go, just sit there use your arms and go. I'm scared that the wife might like mowing with this Hustler. Yes I'm retired Engineering Tech for the D.O.T. I have run about every piece of equipment that is used to build roads here and yes I enjoy this mower also!

resq1619
Tim

dsanders

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a Hustler Raptor SD with the 54" deck to replace a Cub Cadet LT1045. I am still waiting for a bagger kit to come so I can use it (we have lots of pine needles here in Fl.) My question is does anyone have any experience with the grass catcher? Do I need to get high lift blades as I did with my Cub when I installed a bagger on it?

quinnjim

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys, I just bought a Hustler Raptor 42".

I agonized between the 52" and the 42", but got the smaller one since I have a few spots where the 52 wouldn't easily fit.

I researched mowers until my eyes bled and landed on Hustler for the durability and commercial heritage.

The only bummer in my buying experience is that they only had 2015 mowers in stock, and they weren't interested in giving a discount for a left over model. It was brand new in the box, so I took it. I bought it from a dealer instead of a big box store since I believe in supporting local business people.

I only mow 1/2 acre, so this is pretty much overkill. I don't care...I'll cut the grass in 20 minutes and be happy about it! Probably only put 8 hours a year on the unit up here in Northern Illinois. Hopefully the last mower I'll ever need.

retfr8flyr

Threads
Congrats on the new mower! Actually I think you made out well. If you got an 2015 you have the Kawasaki engine instead of the Kohler, I think that is a big plus. I just got an Raptor SD 48 with the Kawasaki because the dealer I bought from ordered 2 truck loads of them, when he found out about the engine change.

ClutchKargo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Everyone

I purchased a Raptor SD 54" last year and didn't find this forum and thread till today. I have to say this mower is one of the best purchases I've made in a long time. Initially I was going to buy the regular Raptor but after more research I decided to go with the SD 54" because of the upgrades to the mower and I really wanted the hydros that can be serviced.

So after a full season and now after a half a dozen mowings this year so far I'm just so happy totally pleased that I picked the Hustler brand. The Kawasaki motor on this mower is fantastic too! I saw that they moved to Kohler engines now and I'm sure the Kohlers are real good but I am totally pleased with my Kawasaki.

I bought the Agri-Fab 45-0463 tow behind spreader from Amazon last week and used it today to put down pre-emergent and fertilizer and it works great with the Hustler. I did have to rig a longer handle to start the flow of product but that was no big deal. After searching for a tow behind spreader for use with a ZTR mower, the issue of being able to reach the handle to start the flow of product seems to be the biggest problem. I was able to just drill a hole in an aluminum handle from an old sweeper then I drilled a hole in the spreader handle attached it with a bolt and then rigged it to stay up at an angle in the air above the motor so it wouldn't be in the way when I turn but I can also reach back and grab it to turn the flow on and off as needed.

I'm purchasing Lesco products from the local Site One store so I'm curious to see how things progress with the way my lawn looks this season.

I do have one question, what's the best way to create stripes with my Raptor? The option I'm leaning towards is a heavy flap attached to the tow hole to hang down and drag on the grass. What does everyone else do?

Thanks
Clutch

C4Tom

Threads
Hi!

My name is Tom and I'm new to the forum, I found it while looking for ideas on how to upgrade my new mower.
I've only got half an acre at the moment but buying some land later this year.
My new mower as of 3 days ago, is a Hustler Raptor 52" but so far I haven't named her.
Previously owned riders: Gravely ZT2550(loved it), Snapper Scrambler, Bolens 42, John Deere 214, and an old Wheel Horse.

Regards,
Tom

ladymulerider

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey... looking to get a Hustler, and hope to enjoy the forum...

diesel22

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi there,

I own a Hustler Raptor with a 52" deck that I purchased last year. I mow about two acres and so far have had problems only with the bagger chute. Just want to glean the membership for knowledge and pose a question from time to time. Great site.

skip49

Threads
Skip, from Ga. here. I bought my first
ZTM yesterday, the Raptor SD, 54".
Used it for the first time today, and the ONLY disappointment was watching it get dirty, LOL .
I've been cutting grass for over 55 years, but have never had anything like this machine. I WILL have to say, you didn't want to be standing anywhere close to me today, as I got the hang of steering it.
Just found this forum 2 days ago, and joined right up. What a resource this site is. After a couple of days here I've got a bad case of LMIO. (Lawn mower information overload).
All the best,
Skip

577jersey

Threads
Hi guys,
Tommy from Jersey.
I just purchased a RSD 54 20 hours ago with an FR engine and love it so far.

I do a few lawns every week with the mower and it seems like a good one so far!!

I am here to learn and share with others,,hope my mower will last a long time!!

Tommy :)