Today's younger generation

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
MowerKing, I hope you realize that I’m just busting your chops. I spent 34 years in the classroom and have heard everything possible about teachers from students, parents, administrators, and everyone else’s who is smarter than a teacher. Even here on this forum I’ve been told what my signature says. It just surprised me that someone had something good to say about teachers, which I appreciate.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I asked my dad about what it was like living in a world where the mom didn't have to work. The dad was able to buy a home, 1 car and live like they did on "Leave it to Beaver." He replied. "That was TV. No one, except for the rich lived like that. My mom and dad both had to work to keep food on the table." He said there was no home insurance, car insurance or health insurance for most folks, because they couldn't afford it. Even with mom and dad working.

All that sort of busted my bubble on how things used to be.

My grandfather worked hard so his kids wouldn't have to work as hard. His kids worked hard, although not as hard as their dad, so their kids wouldn't have to work as hard. And so forth and so on. Inventions that make life easier and more efficient is one of humans greatest accomplishment. Einstein was right, for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction.

A friend of mine and I were discussing this the other day. He and I agree that Elvis helped to destroy decency.

Mower King

Threads
I call "generation x" and "generation y"......full of rainbows, unicorns, entitlement, crybabys, don't know if their a boy or girl and the list goes on & on......the LOST GENERATION.....but, I'm old school !

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
MowerKing, I hope you realize that I’m just busting your chops. I spent 34 years in the classroom and have heard everything possible about teachers from students, parents, administrators, and everyone else’s who is smarter than a teacher. Even here on this forum I’ve been told what my signature says. It just surprised me that someone had something good to say about teachers, which I appreciate.
Daughter in law is a special education teacher for elementary kids. Between dip$h!t parents and doing IEPs and conferences she is about burned out. In my other business i do all the audio stuff for some schools so i am involved a lot in their activities when they need audio services which is just about everthing they do. Many teachers spend exorbitant amounts of their own time doing these activities.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Daughter in law is a special education teacher for elementary kids. Between dip$h!t parents and doing IEPs and conferences she is about burned out. In my other business i do all the audio stuff for some schools so i am involved a lot in their activities when they need audio services which is just about everthing they do. Many teachers spend exorbitant amounts of their own time doing these activities.

School spirit. LOL

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
This could help the situation if implemented here I suspect:

"According to the 1949 Israeli Security Service Law, conscription to military service is compulsory for all Israelis who turn 18"

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Firstly TV's prime objective is to make the viewers anxious &/or depressed because in such a sate of mind your brain is most open to suggestion
Thus characters in TV shows are always depicted living a lifestyle way above what the character's income could support.
Arthur Murray's characters income would not have supported living in a 2 story 400 sq yd cape cod with live in nanny, even if the nanny was an auntie & not paid.
He would have been living in a single story 200 sq yd house wearing patched cloths & eating much simplier .
The Sex in the City's principle character would have need to own the magazine she supposedly wrote for in order to dress & live as depicted.
OTOH
Obviously things were very different in the USA
My mother was a spastic so never worked for a wage except during WW II.
I had 3 other siblings and 3 generations lived in the house my grand parents built but never finished paying for before he was bankrupted by a religious mafia.
None of us ever had our own room let alone our own bathroom.
Thus my father finished paying off the house loan , feed & clothed all 8 of us on the wages of a semi skilled labourer.
You would be struggeling to do the same thing now days on a professional income, let alone a labourers one.

As for the behaviour of kids, it needs to be remembered that we, or our children are the ones directly responsible for that behaviour.
We created the situation it is our fault and we are making it worse every year.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
This could help the situation if implemented here I suspect:

"According to the 1949 Israeli Security Service Law, conscription to military service is compulsory for all Israelis who turn 18"

LOL.. You're wanting the government to teach kids right from wrong? The government doesn't even know the difference.

wrldtvlr

Threads
We had this discussion back in the days of the draft. What is the military's primary purpose? Defend the country or be a social training system? There is a valid argument that everyone should contribute to the common good by serving and that the structured military life could benefit elements of society, but the consensus at the time was that a smaller, professional force that wanted to be in the military was better.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
USMC
You Signed the Mighty fine Contract

Per a friend. I was Army..........Military Intelligence. Now ain't that a joke.