Today's younger generation

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Is it just me, or are many of todays young adults selfish, self-centered, and unappreciative? My wife is over at my mom-in-laws house today, thery have been planning, preparing for, and paying for a baby shower for my wife's youngest niece for the last two weeks. Three years ago, my wife and MIL paid for and prepared for a bridal shower for the same person, and two years ago many of the family members paid their own expenses to fly to Cancun and stay there because the young couple wanted to be married in this so-called romantic location. Here they are so broke they are living with the guys father, yet they could ask others to fly to Cancun so they could have a wedding there.

My wife told me this morning that neither she, nor my mother in law, nor any other family member involved got a written thank you note for either the bridal shower, or the wedding, and none of the people that gave the couple a gift got a note of appreciation for their thoughtfulness. That was news to me. Well, not really SURPRISING news.

Four years ago, I helped the second youngest niece move about 100 miles to another apartment complex for her job change, in the middle of the winter. Probably worked 20 hours in the bitter weather, provided boxes, moving pads, carts, dollies, put 200 miles on my truck and enclosed utility trailer, guess what? Never even got a word of thanks personally, via email, or a note.

Went to two graduation parties a year and a half ago, distant cousins kids were graduating from high school, drove an hour one way each time, gave each graduate a $100 bill and a very nice personal letter I spend a lot of time composing. Guess what? Never got a word of thanks from either of them.

I used to do semi-pro photography as a sideline, took pics for the wedding I mentioned earlier, put them in an album as a gift to the couple. Never heard a word of thanks. My wife asked me to attend the shower tomorrow to take pictures...do you think I even want to attend?

Selfish, ingrate kids really tick me off. Thanks for listening.

jd335

Threads
jd this type of stuff gets my blood preasure going i see it all the time i won't say any more except that i know how frustrated you get being around these people my cure was i don't go around i don't call and when they want something im busy thats the only comforntable way for me to deal with them.

CompactTractorFan

Threads
Am I selfish, self-centered, and unappreciative? :frown:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Am I selfish, self-centered, and unappreciative? :frown:

Likely not, or I would thump you...:laughing: Notice I said "many" I wasn't saying ALL of the younger folks are the way I portrayed them as being...I do forgive you for hijacking my thread, stealing my LMF MOTM chances, and making fun of my appearing 90 years old, so I guess you are not as bad as the ones I posted about....:biggrin:

poncho62

Threads
I do agree, have some younger relatives of my own that I dont have the time of day for. I also know some young people that are very polite and appreciative of this old phart.....I guess it goes both ways.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do agree, have some younger relatives of my own that I dont have the time of day for. I also know some young people that are very polite and appreciative of this old phart.....I guess it goes both ways.

My own nieces and nephews are very polite and have great manners...but on my wife's side....cannot believe some of them. The one I spent all that time helping move in the winter, while burning 30 bucks worth of gas...she could have taken 30 seconds to call me or send a text saying she appreciated what I did..but, no. Frickin' unbelievable....:frown:

I am the type of guy who thanks his MAIL CARRIER for bringing a package to my door when it won't fit in my mailbox. Why is it so hard for some people to say "thank you" when someone does something for them?

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
All valid points -- I don't doubt any of it. However, do you think there has ever been a time or place when the older people in a society didn't disparage the younger ones in a similar fashion?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
do you think there has ever been a time or place when the older people in a society didn't disparage the younger ones in a similar fashion?

Exactly every generation going back forever... and it will be the same for every generation going in the future...
If you expect thanks for the things that you do ... you are going to most likely be a very disappointed person...
:smile:KennyV

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
All valid points -- I don't doubt any of it. However, do you think there has ever been a time or place when the older people in a society didn't disparage the younger ones in a similar fashion?

I am going to say that younger folks TODAY are more rude, ungrateful, and self-centered than ANY generation have EVER been before.

But THANKS for your comments.....:laughing: You know what I am referring to here, don't you?

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
But THANKS for your comments.....:laughing: You know what I am referring to here, don't you?
No...... but I think that your assertion may be correct.
I think that our nation is droping into a crevice civilly, socially, ethically, and morally. But as Kenny said every parent has said that about the next generation. That doesn't mean there is not a steady degredation of these principles, however change has always incorporated a different set of values. Our generation relied on our teachers, elders and books for knowledge and insight. This generation has that amount increased exponentially at thier fingertips. I find they(young people) won't listen to my explantions or advice, however if they read the same thing on a webpage...it's gospel.
I realize I'm making a sweeping generalization and I have no idea how old compacttractorfan is, but we are speaking in general terms. I'm sure that JD knows some young people who are very polite and courteaous as do I. It just seems as though they are getting few and far between.
I could go on but I don't want to sound like my partents:rolleyes: