Today's younger generation

Bison

Threads
Well stated but the weird thing is, the kids on my side of the family and the majority of the ones on my wifes side of the family are well mannered and appreciative, BUT the pair in one family are simply spoiled brats who think the world owes them everything...what baffles me is that their parents tried so hard to raise them properly and set a great example for their kids to follow....:confused2:

I think that says enough 'doesn't it?.
Parents at fault,maybe non intentionally but at fault nonetheless :wink:

Bison

Threads
Well, lemme tell ya, this is why old people and young people don't hang out.

Young people see old people as trying to impose their 'wisdom' on them, asked for or not. Old people, see the young ones as unappreciative of all that's done for them. Whether like JD, much has been given, or if simply allowing them the priviledge of hearing said wisdom.

We are a selfish society. We get told day in, day out, that it's all about us, and if we can get something for nothing, so be it - we deserve it - just because we exist. But, wait........are just the young doing this?

If you indeed were doing what you did selflessly, then it wouldn't make a rat's a-- worth of difference whether you even got noticed. Yes, it'd be nice, but why did you do it? Recognition? How much thanks would be enough? Kneeling and worshipping at your feet? Now, I know that's a real stretch, but I hope you see the point.

If you want something out of giving, is it really giving? If you yourself are so selfless and noble, why does it really matter? Or are you yourself wanting something?

I get so sick of this inter-generational BS. We're all frickin' human. We all have done / will do the same things, in the confines of a different society. Gimme a break.

It's all about respect.
Respect for your elders.
Respect for some ones sacrefices so you can live the way you do.
Respect for nature and what it provides

Respect is what a lot of todays people no longer seem to have,young or not so young.

Smartaleck

Threads
I'm big on thanking people myself and I expect people to show due gratitude when I do anything for them. It's just how I was brought up and I'm past retirement. I think it's thoughtlessness personally. Young members of my family are good people and will do anything for you but sometimes they are so caught up in their own little world, they "forget" to express what they feel when you do them a favour, but they are always available if a favour is required of them.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
UPDATE HERE:

Nearly two weeks after the bridal shower for the young woman, who. along with her husband, received over $2500 worth of gifts, plus there was another $900 involved in invitations, food, hall rental, etc....well, so far NOBODY involved has been given any type of thank you, except for a generic "Thanks to all" on their Facebook page. All that time and work and expense involved by my wife and mom in law, plus all the generous gifts by the other attendees, and the couple's method of showing appreciation is a line on their Facebook page. WHAT A SURPRISE. I guess my 81 year old mother in law needs to be on Facebook to learn her work was appreciated. Seems to me if all the relatives and guests could take the time to shop for, and wrap gifts, and attend the shower, the VERY LEAST the cheapskate, ingrate couple could do is take a few minutes and write a note, affix a stamp, and thank people properly. But of course, many of today's younger people don't bother doing those kind of things. SELFISH, INCONSIDERATE INGRATES. I wonder why anybody does ANYTHING for people like them...:mad::mad:

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll try to make this short. :smile:

The winter a year ago, we had 2 snowfalls of 20" & 24" (we are talking about an area where people panic at 1/2"). We are on a "last serviced" State Road. I did 9 LONG driveways and 1/2 mile to the main road with my Ventrac snowblower.
Thank You, Gift Cards, Gas for Tractor, etc. from ALL -
EXCEPTone neighbor girl
(in her 20s with 2 kids by different fathers and not married - living in Daddy's house) I had pulled her car out of ditches 2 times and her "boy friend" 2 times (he said thanks). Not one word of thanks or even a hello when I saw her. :thumbdown:
Daddy has moved out and is letting her and the 2 kids stay in his house. Guess who isn't going to make the effort for her next time ? I might make one path so she could walk out, but not wide enough for the car with bald tires.

OK - Rant over -- Dad to this girl is a great guy & Vietnam Vet - If I know he is coming home I'll do it for him. :biggrin: :thumbsup:

mystreba

Threads
It's all about respect.
Respect for your elders.
Respect for some ones sacrefices so you can live the way you do.
Respect for nature and what it provides

Yes - very true. I would add:

- Respect for people's opinions, even when you don't agree with them :rolleyes:.
- Ability to respectfully offer a counter-opinion.

ok, my $.02 (plus tax). Smartaleck nailed it. Kids (from EVERY generation) are self-absorbed and caught up in their own little world. They are SELFISH. It's just part of nature and has been since the dawn of time. You'll occasionally find some who are not. They are freaks of nature :wink:

I shudder to think how selfish I was when I was younger. I wish I could find every person I knew prior to my 30's and offer a blanket apology for my thoughtlessness. I consider myself very appreciative now - I'll go out of my way to help others and to let them know I appreciate it when they do the same. It all comes with age. And I've got age coming out of my butt. (seriously - it's tough to hold back at this point)

So JD was right. Today's generation is a bunch of unappreciative little brats. And so was yesterday's, and the one before that....

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll try to make this short. :smile:

The winter a year ago, we had 2 snowfalls of 20" & 24" (we are talking about an area where people panic at 1/2"). We are on a "last serviced" State Road. I did 9 LONG driveways and 1/2 mile to the main road with my Ventrac snowblower.
Thank You, Gift Cards, Gas for Tractor, etc. from ALL -
EXCEPTone neighbor girl
(in her 20s with 2 kids by different fathers and not married - living in Daddy's house) I had pulled her car out of ditches 2 times and her "boy friend" 2 times (he said thanks). Not one word of thanks or even a hello when I saw her. :thumbdown:
Daddy has moved out and is letting her and the 2 kids stay in his house. Guess who isn't going to make the effort for her next time ? I might make one path so she could walk out, but not wide enough for the car with bald tires.

OK - Rant over -- Dad to this girl is a great guy & Vietnam Vet - If I know he is coming home I'll do it for him. :biggrin: :thumbsup:

I got the feeling early on here at LMF you were the type of guy who helps his neighbors, great for you to do that...but believe me, if I clear one driveway without a thanks from someone new around here I will not return to help. And if the girl you spoke of didn't thank me for getting her unstuck the first time I wouldn't help a second...maybe throw her change for a pay phone...:laughing:

My neighbors that I help tell me thanks in person or send me a text letting me know my help was appreciated...I don't expect anything more than that but to IGNORE someone's good deeds, like those my wife and MIL performed, are a real insult.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes - very true. I would add:

- Respect for people's opinions, even when you don't agree with them :rolleyes:.
- Ability to respectfully offer a counter-opinion.

ok, my $.02 (plus tax). Smartaleck nailed it. Kids (from EVERY generation) are self-absorbed and caught up in their own little world. They are SELFISH. It's just part of nature and has been since the dawn of time. You'll occasionally find some who are not. They are freaks of nature :wink:

I shudder to think how selfish I was when I was younger. I wish I could find every person I knew prior to my 30's and offer a blanket apology for my thoughtlessness. I consider myself very appreciative now - I'll go out of my way to help others and to let them know I appreciate it when they do the same. It all comes with age. And I've got age coming out of my butt. (seriously - it's tough to hold back at this point)

So JD was right. Today's generation is a bunch of unappreciative little brats. And so was yesterday's, and the one before that....

You say "kids"...maybe so they are, but the young adults in their middle 20's to early 30's are old enough to know a LOT BETTER than to take things for granted. My wife and I were in our early 40's when we married back in 1990. Every single person who attended the bridal showers and our wedding got a personal, hand written thank you note from us within one week of either event, whether they gave us a gift or not. It's just the way we were raised. NO EXCUSE for anyone over 20 years of age not to be as appreciative. NONE.

mystreba

Threads
You say "kids"...maybe so they are, but the young adults in their middle 20's to early 30's are old enough to know a LOT BETTER than to take things for granted. My wife and I were in our early 40's when we married back in 1990. Every single person who attended the bridal showers and our wedding got a personal, hand written thank you note from us within one week of either event, whether they gave us a gift or not. It's just the way we were raised. NO EXCUSE for anyone over 20 years of age not to be as appreciative. NONE.

Of course, at 40 years old you would send thank-you cards out. That's to be expected.

There may be some differences in this thread about what is meant by "kids". I generally think of someone in their 20's as a kid. Certainly there are exceptionally mature and thoughtful 20-somethings, but for the most part they're self-absorbed and clueless about their connection to - or impact on - the world around them.

I was just starting to take my head out of my arse at 30, and I don't think I was alone there. (I mean that in a general sense - I don't mean there were a bunch of people with their heads up my arse) Well maybe there were - who knows, I wouldn't have noticed since I was completely clueless.

My older kids are very mature and respectful. But there is even a difference between the 29 and 27 year old in terms of their awareness of others. Mostly my 27-year old is very appreciative, and he doesn't ever intentionally act unappreciative, but I think sometimes he's just so self-absorbed in whatever he's doing that he doesn't have a clue what's going on around him. From my perspective that's not unusual, and it's not unique to this generation.

Guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that!