So I was workin in my shop the other day...

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Think it was aimed at me lol. Yes it's happened a few times had a crank case split once lots of oil fell onto my gravel floor not much I can do. The biggest was that I accidentally cut a water hose on a car before I could find my fluid catcher most had spilled and sank in.

Usually lots of extra precautions are used so I don't spill very often the aquifer under me is nearly a mile below surface I think I'm good

There was nothing aimed at you personally.

If the million people were dumping in the same spot oh what a mess. Did I forget to tell you that there aren't a million people dumping in my driveway. Chain saw fuel tanks are small, might be a pint to the most. Now spills on my shop floor, a few ounces at a time and dried up with saw dust then put into the sweepings. I guess I don't understand what harm I am doing to the environment? Now if you do any amount of mechanic work I know you will get small spills from time to time, just what do you do when this happens? Like I said earlier a old junkier car going down the road spills more fluid then I do.

If the million people were dumping in the same spot oh what a mess. I agree with that and that's what's happening everyday. You pour your chain saw fuel in the drive, the guy down the road changes his oil in the car and he takes it out and pours it along his fence line to kill the grass. The next time you want to dump you chain saw do it in on your front lawn and in a couple of days ask your question what harm I am doing to the environment when your grass has died and the ground where you pour gas oil mix wont grow grass for a couple of month. Now I know accidents can happen but I also know that the greatest majority can be avoided if you think about the job you're going to do before you do it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well Actually, individuals doing exactly this is the second best alternative.
Best of course is to capture the oil and take it to an oil dump so it can be burned in ships ( oil recycling is mostly a myth )
Second best is dispersing in small volumes like along your fence line where naturally occurring microbes & bacteria will do an excellent job in breaking down the oil and returning the nutrients & minerals to the soil.
Yes do it often enough & you will get a build up of some heavy metals, but these exist in nature, they are called ore deposits.
You will also cause some small changes to the micro enviroment where you do it, but tip oil on the fence for 200 years & you will still not cause as big a disruption to the local enviroment as building a house but one one says boo to that and don't even think about what enviromental damage is dome with chemical termite barriers but we are all happy to do that without thought, but spill a drop of any petro chemical and suddenly it becomes a national tragedy .

The most environmentally dangerious thing you can do is to tip detergents down gutter but no one thinks twice about doing that.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Best of course is to capture the oil and take it to an oil dump so it can be burned in ships ( oil recycling is mostly a myth )
Second best is dispersing in small volumes like along your fence line where naturally occurring microbes & bacteria will do an excellent job in breaking down the oil and returning the nutrients & minerals to the soil.
Yes do it often enough & you will get a build up of some heavy metals, but these exist in nature, they are called ore deposits.
You will also cause some small changes to the micro enviroment where you do it, but tip oil on the fence for 200 years & you will still not cause as big a disruption to the local enviroment as building a house but one one says boo to that and don't even think about what enviromental damage is dome with chemical termite barriers but we are all happy to do that without thought, but spill a drop of any petro chemical and suddenly it becomes a national tragedy .

The most environmentally dangerious thing you can do is to tip detergents down gutter but no one thinks twice about doing that.

Illegal Oil Dumping

Illegal oil dumping poses numerous known hazards to both humans and wildlife. Depending on the location and extent of the dumping, contamination in the food and water supply in the area can affect wildlife and humans for years to come, especially if done commercially. However, most illegal oil dumping takes the form of individual citizens attempting to remove old automobile oil from their residences without taking it to the proper dump sites. Oil dumping, when done by individuals or businesses, is not only environmentally unsafe, but also, illegal as well.

Laws on Oil Dumping

Environmental protection laws and other oil dumping court decisions have noted that illegal dumping of oil, whether by individuals or business is a criminal offense. Depending on the severity and scope of the environment protection law violations, as well as the overall amount of damages incurred from the illegal dumping, prosecutors can charge individuals with fines, community service hours, and in some cases, criminal counts resulting in jail or prison sentences. Additionally, fines related to illegal oil dumping will not only include the cost of cleanup, but also, the cost of damages incurred to other businesses, municipalities, and individuals, as well as the very real possibility of punitive damages being assessed as well.

Mikel1

Threads

The chemical fertilizers homeowners use on their lawns and farmers use on their crops is bad as well. The inorganic salts destroy earthworms and soil microbes. Then there are pesticides the farmers use. These runoff into creeks and rivers and into the water table.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The chemical fertilizers homeowners use on their lawns and farmers use on their crops is bad as well. The inorganic salts destroy earthworms and soil microbes. Then there are pesticides the farmers use. These runoff into creeks and rivers and into the water table.

Need a "like" button

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Illegal Oil Dumping

Illegal oil dumping poses numerous known hazards to both humans and wildlife. Depending on the location and extent of the dumping, contamination in the food and water supply in the area can affect wildlife and humans for years to come, especially if done commercially. However, most illegal oil dumping takes the form of individual citizens attempting to remove old automobile oil from their residences without taking it to the proper dump sites. Oil dumping, when done by individuals or businesses, is not only environmentally unsafe, but also, illegal as well.

Laws on Oil Dumping

Environmental protection laws and other oil dumping court decisions have noted that illegal dumping of oil, whether by individuals or business is a criminal offense. Depending on the severity and scope of the environment protection law violations, as well as the overall amount of damages incurred from the illegal dumping, prosecutors can charge individuals with fines, community service hours, and in some cases, criminal counts resulting in jail or prison sentences. Additionally, fines related to illegal oil dumping will not only include the cost of cleanup, but also, the cost of damages incurred to other businesses, municipalities, and individuals, as well as the very real possibility of punitive damages being assessed as well.

Didn't say it was legal.

But the warning to all & sundry is quite prudient.

I said it was the second best way to dispose of old oil.
But then laws are seldom made by people with the necessary educaton or background to actually decipher the scientific information that they usually choose to ignore in any case.
Usually they start from a good idea, ie they don't want people like me tossing 100 gallons a month onto the ground & that I support because it is too much for the environment to handle without some sort of accelerated remediation like planting fungi and seeding with bacteria.
Then to prove they are doing their job, justify their existence and based on the more is better philosophy the sensible legeslation gets expanded to the absurd to the point where it is now illegal to put a grease nipple on a mower just in case the excess grease is not cleaned off gets thrown off into the grass then washed into the rivers.
However 200,000 gallons of quite toxic petro chemical solvents leeching out of bitumen road surfaces is quite fine because it will cost the state too much to replace the tarred surfaces with either cobble or concrete.
So now nearly all spindles run on the wrong type of bearings for the load they are carrying as you really can not make fully sealed tappered roller bearings adjustable.
And yes all blade spindles should have either 2 tappered rollers or one taper & one plain roller. a double ball is just about the worst bearing for the biaxial loads the spindles work under.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
OMG

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

You get no argument from me. You just prove my point, it just makes the disposal of oil and waste and what every individual does with it that much more important. Just because someone decides there too lazy to dispose of waste correctly doesn't make it right for others to do the same.

Just because someone says the laws are seldom made by people with the necessary education or background to actually decipher the scientific information that they usually choose to ignore in any case doesn't mean he and others have the right to go around breaking those laws. People who break laws generally end up in prison, that's why there full.

Last edited:

jakewells

Threads
i dispose of waste oil and stale gas in my oil burner but it is more oil than stale fuel. i just changed oil in my hydro splitter and topped off the heater with some aw32.

robert@honda

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used to work at a car stereo shop. There was a big demo board of systems n the showroom, and the backside was open to the shop. Wires everywhere, and a workbench with a vise, wire tools, and a soldering iron. The owner kept the iron hot and clamped its handle into the vise. (Can you see where this is going?) Anyway, owner was trying to demo a system with a customer, and the system would not turn on, so he runs around to the back side and thinks the wires have come loose. The system he's trying to demo is at the top level, out of reach due to the workbench, so the owner starts to climb up the bench to get to the wires, and lifts himself upward but does not have enough forward motion to grab the top of the display, and he's falling backwards now and his hand reaches out to grab what he thought was the vise handle.

Inner Ear: Brain! We're falling! Do something!

Brain: Right hand, reach out and grab the vise handle to stop our fall!

Eye: No visual yet Brain

Brain: Right hand, it's there, so just grab

Right Hand: Okay, grabbing...and making contact now...OMG this thing is burning HOT! Must release NOW!

Inner Ear: NO! We'll fall down on the floor!

Right Hand: The pain is excruciating

Brain: Calculating if burn pain > or < impact pain of hitting floor....thinking...thinking...

Brain: Inner Ear, have we stopped moving yet?

Inner Ear: Yes, we're stable now

Nose: What is that terrible burning smell?

Brain: Right Hand, release NOW. Legs, stand by to take on load

Nose: Ooof. That's bad

Right Hand: Tell Lefty I love him and to come visit me in the burn unit

Eye: OMG, Right Hand, that's messed up! Look at the smoke coming off the soldering iron

Nose: P.U.