So I was workin in my shop the other day...

grumpygrizzly

Threads
I do find no matter how careful I am I do drop things and spill fluids. (old age) Why is it when I drop something small it seems to never go on the floor but it goes into the chassis or frame so I have a hard time finding it.

On the subject of gettin old.. I find that if I drop something on my concrete floor, even if I can see right where it is... If I can't find my magnetic pick up tool or that long claw grabby thing... It'll sit there until I drop a couple more pieces down in that general direction.. That way I only have to go down there once to pick it up but, if I'm lucky, I'll remember where I last placed one of my 4 or 5 magnetic pickup tools or the 3 or 4 long claw grabby sticks and if I can remember why I needed those tools in the first place.. then I'll go pick up the part if I can remember what part to pick up.. and don't get distracted by my 2 stroke lemonade on the way back to my bench..

If anyone followed along with that paragraph, consider yourself old and buy yourself some long grabby sticks before you forget..

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
On the subject of gettin old.. I find that if I drop something on my concrete floor, even if I can see right where it is... If I can't find my magnetic pick up tool or that long claw grabby thing... It'll sit there until I drop a couple more pieces down in that general direction.. That way I only have to go down there once to pick it up but, if I'm lucky, I'll remember where I last placed one of my 4 or 5 magnetic pickup tools or the 3 or 4 long claw grabby sticks and if I can remember why I needed those tools in the first place.. then I'll go pick up the part if I can remember what part to pick up.. and don't get distracted by my 2 stroke lemonade on the way back to my bench..

If anyone followed along with that paragraph, consider yourself old and buy yourself some long grabby sticks before you forget..

I do have the shaky hands and poor eye sight but I am lucky I don't need the grabby sticks yet.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I guess that is one advantage of a gravel driveway and living in the country. If I have a chainsaw to drain the fuel tank I just dump it in my driveway.
There's a little thing called aquifer which is an underground layer of water-bearing permeable rock or materials from which groundwater can be extracted, our drinking water :licking: dumping fuel tanks and oils on the ground isn't helping the environment. You should store and dispose of your waste properly.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
There's a little thing called aquifer which is an underground layer of water-bearing permeable rock or materials from which groundwater can be extracted, our drinking water :licking: dumping fuel tanks and oils on the ground isn't helping the environment. You should store and dispose of your waste properly.

Yes I do agree with this to a point. Most of my used oil or fuel go's to my son-in law who in turn use's it to burn in his shop heater. The town delivers my drinking water form lake Ontario. What little fuel that gets dumped out of a chainsaw or fluids that I spill on my shop floor isn't going to hurt the aquifer. I have seen more fluids dumped on the ground from someone's junkier car that gets driven down the road. That brings me to another point. I now see NY has added to it's car NYS inspection laws no fluid leaks to be able to pass a NYS inspection which I see as a good thing.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes I do agree with this to a point. Most of my used oil or fuel go's to my son-in law who in turn use's it to burn in his shop heater. The town delivers my drinking water form lake Ontario. What little fuel that gets dumped out of a chainsaw or fluids that I spill on my shop floor isn't going to hurt the aquifer. I have seen more fluids dumped on the ground from someone's junkier car that gets driven down the road. That brings me to another point. I now see NY has added to it's car NYS inspection laws no fluid leaks to be able to pass a NYS inspection which I see as a good thing.

What little fuel that gets dumped out of a chainsaw or fluids that I spill on my shop floor isn't going to hurt the aquifer. Will just take what you dump and add it to the other million or so people that do the same thing all the time and say it doesn't hurt the aquifer.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
The ground naturally filters the crap out ... I agree with you just saying

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
The ground naturally filters the crap out ... I agree with you just saying

Yeah I agree, the ground does act as a natural filter but there's always a certain amount that gets through just like the crap that gets through your air and oil filter on your mowers and we change those regularly to prevent damage. We need to dispose of things properly.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What little fuel that gets dumped out of a chainsaw or fluids that I spill on my shop floor isn't going to hurt the aquifer. Will just take what you dump and add it to the other million or so people that do the same thing all the time and say it doesn't hurt the aquifer.

If the million people were dumping in the same spot oh what a mess. Did I forget to tell you that there aren't a million people dumping in my driveway. Chain saw fuel tanks are small, might be a pint to the most. Now spills on my shop floor, a few ounces at a time and dried up with saw dust then put into the sweepings. I guess I don't understand what harm I am doing to the environment? Now if you do any amount of mechanic work I know you will get small spills from time to time, just what do you do when this happens? Like I said earlier a old junkier car going down the road spills more fluid then I do.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
If the million people were dumping in the same spot oh what a mess. Did I forget to tell you that there aren't a million people dumping in my driveway. Chain saw fuel tanks are small, might be a pint to the most. Now spills on my shop floor, a few ounces at a time and dried up with saw dust then put into the sweepings. I guess I don't understand what harm I am doing to the environment? Now if you do any amount of mechanic work I know you will get small spills from time to time, just what do you do when this happens? Like I said earlier a old junkier car going down the road spills more fluid then I do.

Think it was aimed at me lol. Yes it's happened a few times had a crank case split once lots of oil fell onto my gravel floor not much I can do. The biggest was that I accidentally cut a water hose on a car before I could find my fluid catcher most had spilled and sank in.

Usually lots of extra precautions are used so I don't spill very often the aquifer under me is nearly a mile below surface I think I'm good

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Think it was aimed at me lol. Yes it's happened a few times had a crank case split once lots of oil fell onto my gravel floor not much I can do. The biggest was that I accidentally cut a water hose on a car before I could find my fluid catcher most had spilled and sank in.

Usually lots of extra precautions are used so I don't spill very often the aquifer under me is nearly a mile below surface I think I'm good

No it wasn't aimed at you it was aimed at Ric. You seem to talk with some common sense here. What do you do if you are out in the back 40 and a hydraulic hose breaks? It gets filtered in the ground. I live in the real world. No I don't think its a good idea just to dump all your used oil on the ground. Did I say I was getting along in years, because I can remember the days when the town would oil down the dirt roads to control the dust. Also what about all the tons of salt that the towns use for ice control now days.