Ryobi RM480E 38" riding mower won't move!

Dingo-J

Threads
Now that the drive motor controller has been replaced, it runs for about 30 minutes and then stops, yet everything else (lights, mowing deck, beeper, etc) works. I've done some testing and concluded it's an overheating issue. The reason I think this is because if I leave it sit for about 40 minutes it will work again. No idea what is overheating, if it is the drive motor controller or the motor, but I feel like that is about all it could be since everything else continues to function.

Anyone else having symptoms that point to overheating?

bkinter

Forum Newbie
Threads
Now that the drive motor controller has been replaced, it runs for about 30 minutes and then stops, yet everything else (lights, mowing deck, beeper, etc) works. I've done some testing and concluded it's an overheating issue. The reason I think this is because if I leave it sit for about 40 minutes it will work again. No idea what is overheating, if it is the drive motor controller or the motor, but I feel like that is about all it could be since everything else continues to function.

Anyone else having symptoms that point to overheating?
Is it possible the thermostatic overtemp sensor is faulty? I never tested that before I sent mine in. When yours faults try checking the temperature at the sensor location and see if it's really overheated or not. Mine is still in the shop and day 90 just hit, so they owe me a new mower or a refund at this point.

Dingo-J

Threads
Is it possible the thermostatic overtemp sensor is faulty? I never tested that before I sent mine in. When yours faults try checking the temperature at the sensor location and see if it's really overheated or not. Mine is still in the shop and day 90 just hit, so they owe me a new mower or a refund at this point.
I can't find that in the diagram. Is that the HALL sensor? I can't figure out what that part does, although someone else posted here that they had a bad hall sensor. the only heat sensor/cut off I could find in the parts diagram is on the charging port wire harness.

MowerMike

Threads
A Hall effect sensor is NOT a heat sensor. It's a magnetic sensor designed to detect position and movement, such as what is used in home alarm systems to detect opening of windows and doors.

Last edited:

Dingo-J

Threads
A Hall effect sensor is NOT a heat sensor. It's a magnetic sensor designed to detect position and movement, such is what is used in home alarm systems to detect opening of windows and doors.
Yes thank you. I looked it up online and understand now how that works.

The hall sensor can stop the motor from running by causing a "misfire" of sorts, but my mower will start working again if I leave it for 30 to 40 minutes, and I can't imagine a faulty hall sensor would reset and begin working again like that - which is why I still think it must be heat related. I'm open for ideas if anyone has some. I'll try and do some tests with the meter this weekend.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A Hall effect sensor is NOT a heat sensor. It's a magnetic sensor designed to detect position and movement, such is what is used in home alarm systems to detect opening of windows and doors.
Not quite
The Hall Effect is the rising & falling of voltage being induced in a coil as a magnet passes it .
The only place you would find one in an electric motor is in the speed regulation system but their are cheaper & more robust ways to do that as well .

MowerMike

Threads
Not quite
The Hall Effect is the rising & falling of voltage being induced in a coil as a magnet passes it .
The only place you would find one in an electric motor is in the speed regulation system but their are cheaper & more robust ways to do that as well .

Same thing. I am talking about the application and you are talking about the principle of operation.

"One of the main uses of magnetic sensors is in automotive systems for the sensing of position, distance and speed."

They have many other common applications, such as home alarm systems, as I noted in my previous post.

bkinter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I got my mower back from the shop after 92 days in service. No surprise it was the motor control board that was bad as many others have had fail. It works now but I can't charge it since it gives me a single red flashing light which according to the manual says "overheated batteries or dirty contacts to the charger port". I cleaned the connection (not dirty at all) and the batteries are cool since its only been 70F outside. Really frustrating.

Dingo-J

Threads
I got my mower back from the shop after 92 days in service. No surprise it was the motor control board that was bad as many others have had fail. It works now but I can't charge it since it gives me a single red flashing light which according to the manual says "overheated batteries or dirty contacts to the charger port". I cleaned the connection (not dirty at all) and the batteries are cool since its only been 70F outside. Really frustrating.
I wonder if what your experiencing now is from a bad or not connected heat sensor. Check this out (below). I believe this part comes off the connections from the charging port.

1621093909884.png