Ryobi RM480E 38" riding mower won't move!

Ralleyne

Forum Newbie
Threads
After a lot of troubleshooting the issue with my Ryobi riding lawn tractor was the speed switch control (part # 996499001) which on the frame on the right (right while sitting on the seat, left if facing the tractor) near to the spring on the accelerator pedal. It cost about $100 from Ryobi. A little difficult to get to with 2 small nuts to remove but fairly easy install. Could help someone if you are willing to try it.

Toonces

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having the opposite issue with my mower. The mower moves fine but the blades won't engage. There are only a couple hours of use on the thing. I bought it at auction, as new, so it's not covered under warranty. It did work fine when I first got it, then the blades stopped engaging. After a few turning them on/off/on they would engage and it would mow fine. Next time out, I'd have to repeat the same thing. Now they just won't start at all.

To me, it doesn't seem like it would be a controller issue since neither controller seems to be working. If it was a controller, I'd expect the other to work at least (wouldn't it?)

I've tried to find a schematic but haven't been successful. The wiring diagram available isn't all that helpful since it shows the wiring going into the harness and then out the other side.

I'm looking for any suggestions anyone may have. Have multimeter, will travel.

Is there a way to tell if there is an issue with the controller(s)?

Dingo-J

Threads
After replacing the drive controller I was able to mow but it would stop after about 20 minutes and wouldn't go again until it sat for about 30 to 40 minutes. Went out the other day and it would go at all. Pulled the accelerator switch and tested per the repair docs and it's bad. Ordered another one at $145!! Ridiculous!
It's not like electric powered vehicles are new, it's that Ryobi is using cheap parts, like a speed controller that uses brushed contacts instead of electric speed controllers. I shouldn't have to replace these parts every three years.
Will update once I get the accelerator control.

Dingo-J

Threads
I'm having the opposite issue with my mower. The mower moves fine but the blades won't engage. There are only a couple hours of use on the thing. I bought it at auction, as new, so it's not covered under warranty. It did work fine when I first got it, then the blades stopped engaging. After a few turning them on/off/on they would engage and it would mow fine. Next time out, I'd have to repeat the same thing. Now they just won't start at all.

To me, it doesn't seem like it would be a controller issue since neither controller seems to be working. If it was a controller, I'd expect the other to work at least (wouldn't it?)

I've tried to find a schematic but haven't been successful. The wiring diagram available isn't all that helpful since it shows the wiring going into the harness and then out the other side.

I'm looking for any suggestions anyone may have. Have multimeter, will travel.

Is there a way to tell if there is an issue with the controller(s)?
Hey if you pm me your email I will send you the Ryobi repair manual. It has how to check using a Multi meter, what everything should read

vjg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had that problem with mower not moving-- replaced the drive motor controller. was not difficult

vjg

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey if you pm me your email I will send you the Ryobi repair manual. It has how to check using a Multi meter, what everything should read
same problem - the blades start to run then shut off after 5 seconds. the PTO checks out with the multimeter. however I am stuck on what/how to check next. the master and/or slave motor controllers?

-ERP-

Forum Newbie
Threads
Two weeks ago I had the same problem as the OP. The mower will not mover forward or reverse, but the blades spin and the lights works, the battery pack is at 50v.
I tried to purchase a new motor controller, but they appear to be backordered until September.
I purchased a new speed controller, which should be here Friday. I would like test my current speed controller but I cannot find a link to the diagnostic instructions. Does anyone have a link or the instructions for testing this sensor?
Thanks

AbowhunterZ

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ok I have read about all the issues everyone is having and I have a new one. My mower is about 2+ years old and I have had no issues. I live in the Phoenix area and cut in 100+ degree weather and runs great...went out the other day and unplugged it and nothing. No charge indicator no lights no drive nothing! Look at manual but it really just says check the obvious things. Hoping someone has had the same issue just not posted!

gjohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply, and it's definitely an electronic issue. If it cooler outside 40ish degrees or below it'll move around perfectly fine and at that point I just leave the key on all day until I get home from work to mow the yard and at the point it's 60 plus degrees outside and works like a charge. But if I turn that key off and back on in that temp range it will not move, but blades will engage just fine.

And you are right about Ryobi. They were trying to force me to bring in for a repair, place was 2hours away and was gonna charge 300 for a pick up and drop off with a 2 week minimum turn around. After speaking with Ryobi I demanded and new drive motor controller, 300plus dollar part. They ended up sending me a blade motor controller. They let me keep that and have since just shipped out the correct part. I've also purchased a 12v power converter for a great price. I'm starting to stock up parts when I find them cheap so I can make any future repairs needed. Almost 3 years old and the 75ah batteries still have an excellent charge as well. Just hope I get it sorted out soon because it's very annoying.
I have the same issue, last week mower stopped driving, but blades worked, it is still under extended warranty. Ryobi contacted repair company, and they picked mower up and 3 days later called said can't get it to replicate drive issue and plan on returning it Saturday. I will use the mower while they are still here, and maybe I can replicate the problem for them. Thanks for information, by the way did you ever figure out why mowers are not working. George

gjohn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I register just to share my experience. I had the same issues described here. 1.5 year old mower with only 32 hours on it. Would not go forward or backward but if I power cycled it would sometimes drive again for a few seconds or minutes even. I live in Los Angeles area where you'd think there would be plenty of service centers but nope, had to figure out a way to drive it 55 miles away. Ryobi's strategy to fix these is to send one repair part at a time to the shop to see if it fixes it, each taking about 2 weeks to send, install, and diagnose. I sent it in on February 8th and here we are 9 weeks later with no resolution. The worst part is the shop got it work temporarily and were about to have me pick it up but it failed again so it at least saved me having to spend a day getting it. I'll keep posted on what ends up fixing it.
I hope that by now your mower has been repaired,