Reverse Kill Switch

PVHIII

Threads
I believe the reverse kill switch feature to be one of the dumbest ideas ever forced on the consumer. I hate them! They are totally useless. Like any switch, it is either normal open or normal closed so figure out whether the switch wants to be open to function or closed and then modify the wiring accordingly.

I have no clue what Einstein thought this was a safety feature because this is on a par with a reverse engine kill on a car as far as I'm concerned.
:thumbdown:

I like how you put that sir..."Modify the wiring accordingly"... how specifically may I ask did you "modify the wiring"?...and your input is very much appreciated

PVHIII

Threads
I can't believe what you are arguing about. Over cutting a wire. What in the world doses it matter and if the owner wants to cut all his wires, its his mower to do as he likes. Also the next person taped his switch its his time to use to R and R the switch. My own opinion I just like the looks of the tape job better but see nothing wrong with cutting the wire also. Just the mechanic in me I don't like cutting into a wiring harness because I have had to repair too many cut wires.

Thanks man...I appreciate your common sense...TREMENDOUSLY!... And I totally agree it's definitely not worth arguing over...but I do get tired of some of these "know it alls" on here who think they KNOW IT ALL...and act like cutting a wire is comparable to cutting your own mother's throat... again... I appreciate your comment...THANKS

Threads
I believe the reverse kill switch feature to be one of the dumbest ideas ever forced on the consumer. I hate them! They are totally useless. Like any switch, it is either normal open or normal closed so figure out whether the switch wants to be open to function or closed and then modify the wiring accordingly.

I have no clue what Einstein thought this was a safety feature because this is on a par with a reverse engine kill on a car as far as I'm concerned.

I agree 100% mine has the key switch function to mow in reverse but the seat switch was so sensitive my wife couldnt mow without the engine cutting out so I had to bypass it. She could hit a bump in the yard, and it would bounce her up just enough to kill the engine. I know the seat switches are good for hilly terrain but our yard is flat so the switch is kinda pointless. They really should have left the mow in reverse option on the ignition. But I agree with you there has to be a way to bypass it. I would not cut any wires but it can be bypassed without cutting anything.

tigercat

Threads
Disabled mine simply bye cutting a wire under mower by tranny...black tape on both ends of wire and it was ready to mow...but it was my ol Troy built not craftsman

Yep, I do the same thing. I won't play with stupid safeties. If they fail, I cut out the bad organ like a doctor cuts out an appendix!

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
You don't have to remove the switch or bend the bracket. The bracket is adjustable for setting the switch and should be held in place by a couple of small screws and can be adjusted back and out of the way, at that point the switch it self should have a quick disconnect and can be unplugged and jumped with a small wire to continue the circuit and taped up with electrical tape and fastened down in some way. If you have to cut wires you should wire in a Male/Female disconnects. Any alterations you make with safety switches should be done so in a way so the unit can be returned to its original form for resale.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks man...I appreciate your common sense...TREMENDOUSLY!... And I totally agree it's definitely not worth arguing over...but I do get tired of some of these "know it alls" on here who think they KNOW IT ALL...and act like cutting a wire is comparable to cutting your own mother's throat... again... I appreciate your comment...THANKS

Now I like the person that doesn't like any safety switches on their mower so they just start cutting wires and taping them all together. Now they call me and can't get there mower running. Money in my pocket, spending the day repairing wires and switches.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Now I like the person that doesn't like any safety switches on their mower so they just start cutting wires and taping them all together. Now they call me and can't get there mower running. Money in my pocket, spending the day repairing wires and switches.

I personally don't like safety switches. I think everyone has there own particular reasoning about safety switches. I know a lot of guys with small businesses that use the high end residential units to mow with instead of the commercial units because of cost and 99% of them remove or disconnect the switches because it can increase their productivity somewhat. Thing I never understood is why put them on residential mowers and not commercial.

briggs

Threads
i don't like reverse lock out myself as i find it to be pain in the *** ...But I run a small engine shop and i cant disconnect them because if i do i am reliable for anything that happens to the person that owns the mower ..Because it was at my shop last ...I have people come to me asking me to do it and i t tell them i cant do it sorry i don't want to get sued ....Now for my own Rider that's different i modified mine lol but i am not going to sue myself ether if something gos wrong

Last edited:

midnite rider

Lawn Addict
Threads
I believe the reverse kill switch feature to be one of the dumbest ideas ever forced on the consumer. I hate them! They are totally useless. I have no clue what Einstein thought this was a safety feature because this is on a par with a reverse engine kill on a car as far as I'm concerned.

According to my Snapper owner manual, a very high percentage of lawnmower related injuries happen when somebody backs over somebody else, usually a child, while mowing in reverse. Personally, I've never heard of such, and agree that this is at least a little bit of over-reach of regulators protecting us more than we need.

I personally don't like safety switches. Thing I never understood is why put them on residential mowers and not commercial.

i don't like reverse lock out myself as i find it to be pain in the *** ...But I run a small engine shop and i cant discount them because if i do i am reliable for anything that happens ...I have people come to me asking me to do it and i t tell i cant do it sorry i dont want to get sued ....Now for my own Rider that's different i modified mine lol

I suggest you read you owners manual. Seeing that you don't give us the model number, I can only assume that your unit has a position on your key switch and a push bottom. If you have no manual, you can go to Sears Parts Direct and download a manual.

Hey yall, i have a 46 " craftsman gold series 2013 mower i bought from sears, and when i put the mower in reverse, while blades are engaged it kills the mower, is there any way around this feature? because i would really like to be able to use my reverse while mowing!

This is another common question on the forum along with the numerous other safety switches, seat, PTO, etc.
The reason for safety switches in my opinion is due to so many people want to put the blame for their own incompetence on someone else. Our society is suehappy. Thus the insurance industry pushes the manufacturers to install such safety devices to lower their insurance rates and help prevent them from being sued and found to be liable by the incompetent jury in a lawsuit by the incompetent user.
Removing or altering such devices can also enable you to be found liable if someone is injured on a machine you own, inspected, repaired, or sold.
Thus the reluctance by some of us to give information on "how to do". This is a procedure that you can figure out if you have any basic electrical knowledge and a schematic. Just be aware of the consequences and allow your alterations to be easily reversible.

briggs

Threads
This is another common question on the forum along with the numerous other safety switches, seat, PTO, etc.
The reason for safety switches in my opinion is due to so many people want to put the blame for their own incompetence on someone else. Our society is suehappy. Thus the insurance industry pushes the manufacturers to install such safety devices to lower their insurance rates and help prevent them from being sued and found to be liable by the incompetent jury in a lawsuit by the incompetent user.
Removing or altering such devices can also enable you to be found liable if someone is injured on a machine you own, inspected, repaired, or sold.
Thus the reluctance by some of us to give information on "how to do". This is a procedure that you can figure out if you have any basic electrical knowledge and a schematic. Just be aware of the consequences and allow your alterations to be easily reversible.

well said i wont let a mower go if i see them un-hooked ..I have had people get mad at me for hooking them back up and i tell them it was here last and i cant let it go because if u run over someone and hurt them i am reliable what u do with it after it leaves my shop is up to u ..I take photos and write in the book to cover my own butt ...And i don't charge them to hook it back up :thumbsup: